• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:20am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stepping out of right cross range is a great tactic when viable (even though you said you don't like it). You should be doing this with a sort of a backwards slip motion, you're slipping backwards, getting low/hands up, and storing up energy in your rear leg that can quickly and powerfully come back in and upwards if he over-extends, you are in position to punish him with powerful counters.
    I think you should be leaning forward, leaning backward might keep you away from the cross, but you can't counter in time, too far off. You will need to shift your whole body forward, that is slow and visible. You should be leaning forward, downward and in an angle so the cross passes over one of your shoulders, preferably your right one.

If you're shorter than they are, then the inside 'is' where you want to be, with your forehead buried in their chest throwing body hooks, uppercuts and the occasional high hook if the body shots catch his hands down. Since it's kickboxing/mma, you have to be careful of knees in this spot but you can do that if you keep your stance correctly while your inside, where in boxing you can take full advantage here without worrying about anything other than being hugged/grabbed.
    Don't forget uppercuts, a devastating punch. .
    Press forward continually so that they can't easily push away and stiff you.
    this! also they can step back, side step etc. so moving forward and creating an angle while pushing your head towards their chest/neck without loosing balance is crucial.
    Also, go get a bunch of bubblegum, sugar free if your on some sort of strict diet, beef jerky could work too but that might be a bit more disgusting and expensive. Chew a gradually increasing ridiculous amount at any one time. You start with a bunch of pieces to fill up one cheek, a giant wad, and put more in if you need.... This will exhaust the hell out of your jaw muscles after some dedicated minutes, but you will build up a strong jaw this way (just spit out the juices). It's some small extra help chin wise. I warn you though, you will completely exhaust your jaw muscles doing this, so pick a good time for this exercise.
    Interesting, never heard of it (we strengthen the neck, via the chin..as we put two fists under our chins and push up, stretch the neck and than push down with the neck muscles and chin/jaw muscles.) Strengthening the mastoid muscle as a way to harden the chin..interesting!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:21am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yimchaloi, you'd probably get a lot out of posting a video if you have one that's fairly clear and a good idea of what you want the Bullies to look for. There's a wide range of expertise to draw on here and you'll get a lot of useful & constructive feedback. If you're short on time until your next fight this is the best way to get lots of eyes & voices on your technique as possible.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore View Post
    I said step backwards, out of range. Leaning backwards can be ok in boxing, not quite as acceptable in MMA or even kick-boxing. Unless your going to give more detail/forgot something, leaning forwards into a right cross seems pretty stupid....
    i said lean forward and to the side, make the punch come over your shoulder, that is clear i think. Why is that stupid? that is a regular bob, it enables you to counter or do what ever, leaning away as in backwards won't allow you to counter effectively.

Yeah it's really hard for a tall person to throw an uppercut on a short person in general, especially when the short person has their forehead "figuratively and or sometimes literally" buried in their chest.
    A tall person can throw an uppercut easy, if he does it correctly as in lowering his stance, and coming up with the legs. Of-course if he takes a small step back it is even easier. Not even a full step, the taller person can just keep his right shoulder back, by standing a little sideways (as you should in boxing). If he can block with his left shoulder the shorter guy's advance, his right hand is free to uppercut.
    I'm not saying that this strategy isn't the best for a shorter guy, just saying he does need to be aware of some possible attacks from the taller guy when inside the pocket.

I was using the "figurative" meaning of chin, as used in combat sports, I was not referencing anatomy. However that said, if you got clocked on the chin, especially with a hook, stronger mastoids would certainly help. If you dont understand this yet, open your mouth, relax, push your chin to one side so that it's not in line with your upper teeth, and then flex your muscles so that you fight against your opposing/pushing hand to shut your mouth again..., which main muscle is working to close your mouth.... Yeah you guest it...
    I wasn't cynical, i meant it. Interesting. And i got it the first time.
    How many years have you been boxing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 9:38am

Style: Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is difficult to describe in text erzeb so please be patient with me. But again, I never said anything about leaning backwards. Let me try to improve my original description.

And yeah, I understood your description the 2nd time I read it, because at first I only read the first two lines and saw lean forward, you explained it more later and I rushed to replay.... and now I know what you mean... edit: you often see this done with a lowering of the body and a small step as well. -but these are both top pro-level technique in my opinion. you might be a hell of a lot faster than me though, so don't let that discourage you, your mileage may vary... (also depends on your opponent, you might be able to get away with it vs. some folks and not others)

You STEP beckwards, out of range, but with a slipping motion. You know the left/right rolling or slipping technique where you drop down a bit and sort of 'roll' under there arm with a step to the other side and follow up with a hook, etc.. Well you do that moving backwards (not rolling left or right this time, but rolling/slipping backwards), this has you stepping back (not leaning back) but your dropping your body down first as you step back and then you plant your foot (it's really more of a slide), this creates energy stored in your bent rear leg and low position, if he over-extends to reach you, you are in a great position, if not, you can go back to jabbing/kicking etc..

I started boxing at 15/16, I'm 31 now. I haven't sparred every day since that age or anything like that, but that's when I started sparring/training and I've been on a heavy bag/shadow boxing/studying fights/back in the boxing gym or some martial arts, etc. ever since. I'm eager to get back into a ring soon, which should be in the next few days/weeks.

added; also, erezb, my apologies, i basically completely misread the attitude behind your post the first time. Like I thought you were being extremely sarcastic in spots where you weren't at all. Text can be a mother fucker like that when one assumes inflection. apologies!
    Last edited by Jettatore; 3/21/2013 10:01am at .

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 9:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are tall tallish? cause that can explain the difference in mind.
    im 5'10, not saying i don't step back, i do, a lot. But if i plan to counter, only forward. The back and forth thing is good if you are in great shape, lean and mean, and\or with a good reach. If i do that, i am out of reach and i'll need to literally jump forward for a counter. That works, but less than a good forward slip.
    We drill that a lot, usually coupled to counter strikes. I also am aware that my "stile" is heavily influenced from my coach. I trained for over 10 years now in one place...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/%D7%A...=photos_stream

that is a page i did for the kickboxing part, we need to upload more (many more) photos for the boxing page that is under construction..and videos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 10:10am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I am actually really short. I'm like 5'6.5" (I'm so short I have to include the .5) I weigh about 185-190 now, I should be at 175 for fighting weight, I do have quite a bit of muscle, huge shoulders, etc. (it's not all fat) When I was 16-18 my fighting weight was 165 and I had no fat to speak of then. When I was in ****, **** shape I got myself up to a sweet 205 :)

The thing is, it's not a hop back and it's not a lean back. And you don't even move your front leg, that stays right where it is, you step or slip your rear leg back while lowering your stance. This generates power, if he over extend, you push the floor into his face by pushing off from the new position you are in now, no more stepping/sliding at this point.

I'm having a really hard describing this, looking for some sort of video or diagram that might help

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 10:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think i understand. You turn your left shoulder to his right cross, lean back and down a little to absorb the punch, and now you are also coiled up like a spring ready to explode.
    Right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 10:30am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's very close (might work just as well, haven't tried). Would be up to you if you want to turn your shoulders or not for better blocking. But there is absolutely no leaning here at all the way I do it. My stance gets lower and my rear foot slides backwards.

But don't forget, your front foot stays planted. Your rear foot slides back as you drop your body down or in other words -lower your stance. and as your body is moving/sliding (not leaning) back, and dropping down as you bend your knees, you then plant/stick your foot and yes, you are now coiled up and ready to explode. And when/if you do explode, your feet don't move any more, you are in position and you throw the uppercut or the right cross,etc. from there. Again, it's like pushing the floor into his face.

If you need to, turning your shoulders would be fine here (situationally), however not turning or covering more, might actually help entice him/her into actually over-extending. This does not have to be a big movement, you can vary the distance or subtlety situationally, it depends what's coming.

I drilled footwork for years, I probably should not be trying to describe this in text, over the internet, without pictures or video. I'm looking for something to help.....
    Last edited by Jettatore; 3/21/2013 10:34am at .

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, have to go now. Catch up to your post laters..

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 7:33am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's very close (might work just as well, haven't tried). Would be up to you if you want to turn your shoulders or not for better blocking. But there is absolutely no leaning here at all the way I do it. My stance gets lower and my rear foot slides backwards.

But don't forget, your front foot stays planted. Your rear foot slides back as you drop your body down or in other words -lower your stance. and as your body is moving/sliding (not leaning) back, and dropping down as you bend your knees, you then plant/stick your foot and yes, you are now coiled up and ready to explode. And when/if you do explode, your feet don't move any more, you are in position and you throw the uppercut or the right cross,etc. from there. Again, it's like pushing the floor into his face.

If you need to, turning your shoulders would be fine here (situationally), however not turning or covering more, might actually help entice him/her into actually over-extending. This does not have to be a big movement, you can vary the distance or subtlety situationally, it depends what's coming.

I drilled footwork for years, I probably should not be trying to describe this in text, over the internet, without pictures or video. I'm looking for something to help.....
    You basically change the plane to evade the cross? no rotation of the torso? no shoulder roll to absorb the punch? to leaning to one side or the other to increase the likelihood the cross will miss?
    My personal problem with that, though it is a perfectly legitimate technique, is that i find it hard to connect effectively with the counter if i had to absorb a hard cross in my guard. Even the slightest of blinks, or flinching will compromise (my) a quick counter's success in hitting the target. Your opponent won't just stand there after the cross, he either will continue with a combo, or move.
    I don't like to "power through" hard punches (as a cross) and maintain my stance while i break the opponent's. So i would add a slight bend to the right and forward, towards the guy's left elbow, while the rear leg slides backwards and to the right (creating a slight angle in the process), this way when you counter, you are partially protected from his left as well, and you are close enough to land yours even if he backs away.
    What do you think?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast