• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/30/2012 2:18pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The basic way to deal with a menesing right cross is to circle away (to the right) you throw your 1,2 and circle to the right (a step) than you can throw some more.
    What Q. said about sliping to the left, he meant as a counter punch or a slip and a left body shot (slip with your left foot forward to get closer and under his right arm). That is a little too advanced IMO for you in this stage. You need to be quick and aggressive in that slip and if you didn't lower your chin or the guy saw it coming, you are going to munch on a fucking hard right (both yours and his energy).
    If you are eating counter punches (you take a cross while throwing yours) you need to add whey more faints!! faint, jab, faint jab cross step to the right. That way you make the counter puncher's life way more difficult, you can draw him to show his favorite "to go" counter, and even try your own counter on counter. (FAINTS IS A SERIOUSLY GOOD TACTIC.)
    If he counters your combo with a right, another good way to stay in the pocket is to duck while throwing your own right while moving forward. If he threw to the head he might miss and open up. If he went body, closing the distance is going to take all the power from his punch (you also role your left shoulder "shoulder roll, go youtube" and absorb it on the arm while pushing him back and coming up with what ever you see fit. So you finish the right cross while already lowering the body and sending your left leg forward and to his outside (right side) while pulling your right arm back do defense and quickly rolling your left side and shoulder as if you had a shield to crash into him (chin tucked in behind the shoulder and your right glove, so tucked it is a fucking diamond). It will knock him off balance and moot his counter and open him up for a right uper to the body, a right hook, or right overhand hook etc.
    You don't have a boxing gym in wis' ???

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/30/2012 2:35pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/30/2012 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like maybe you're a bit predictable with your combinations as well? He'll be more hesitant to slip to the outside if you mix in more jab-> left-hook, double-jabs and jab->right round kick.

P.S. Also, it's a good habit to "close the door" with a left hook after you throw the one-two if you're ending up close to him, it discourages him from throwing straight back and covers your movement out to the right to get out of his way.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 12/30/2012 3:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 6:57pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you'd like, I can post a link and give you the specific times in the vid where I have to deal with a cross? The sparrin' vid has about 6 of them real clear. Not lookin' fer a viewcount, so I won't post it unless ya'll would care to give advice based on what you see.

No boxing gyms in WI? Oh, hell no! Dude, I'm sure that there are tons of them. But just not in my hometown is all. We have some amazing TKD instructors and MMA coaches, but just no boxing club or anything. I've been thinking about taking a few MMA classes to help me work on my handgame.
    Last edited by Yimchaloi; 12/31/2012 7:10pm at . Reason: changed description to be more accurate

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're saying that I can throw a left hook to the head while he throws his cross? That way he'll have to decide if he wants to keep throwin' the punch and risk gettin' hit, yeah? I like that. Also, I should be slipping outside of his cross, right? Like, leaning foward and to his right if he's throwing a right cross? It sounds good but it just makes me nervous. Worth testin' out tho'. That's what's sparring's for. I'd rather have my friend smoke me in the face a few times so I learn something instead of learning that something against an opponent in the ring!

You guys are giving great advice, this is EXACTLY why I finally hopped onto a forum. This counter-attack and staying in close stuff is exactly what I was looking for! I know how to block it and I know how to avoid it, but I don't know how to stand my ground and actually deal with it.

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 7:38pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    knowing in theory what to do is far from enough.
    You need methodology to help create the right reflexes.
    About throwing a left hook to avoid a right cross....bad (unless you see it a mile away and throw first!!!). When he throws his cross (assuming correct boxing technique) his chin is protected behind his right shoulder!!! your hook can connect on top of his head (At best) while he connects with your chin.
    most likely he will hit first and your hook will deflect from his arm or shoulder.
    You don't just slip to his right to invade a cross (it is a risky move). You slip while counter punching the liver or chin. If you risk such a movement at list make it a finisher in potential. in the video at the 2.15 marker

I saw this, i think before you perfect your cross counter you might benefit from this:
    Last edited by erezb; 12/31/2012 7:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:20am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    erezb, you flippin' rock. I mean, everybody here rocks and is giving excellent advice, but I really liked the way you explained it to me. Watching those vids helped me see what you mean. In theory? Great! But the reality of it is waaay different. For my beginning boxing skills that sort of counter is definitely dangerous! But it's still something I should start working on in training and sparring so I can become natural and comfortable doing it so it becomes less risky and more viable an option.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Someone (maybe sifu, maybe a sihing) once described this to me as "through the sleeve".

Same concept?

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 7:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great advise guys!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 12:32am

Style: Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep your chin tucked, eyes up, hands up, and elbows somewhat in to protect the body. You can lower yourself and lean sort of in and twist a bit away with your arm/elbow/shoulder as a deflecting guard to protect the body. Keep an eye out for openings in this situation. Assuming both you and your opponent are using an orthodox stance, you want to be circling towards your right side (that's away from their right hand).

Stepping out of right cross range is a great tactic when viable (even though you said you don't like it). You should be doing this with a sort of a backwards slip motion, you're slipping backwards, getting low/hands up, and storing up energy in your rear leg that can quickly and powerfully come back in and upwards if he over-extends, you are in position to punish him with powerful counters.

Your best defense here, on the inside, is the opponent fearing your power and shots and you respecting but not fearing his own shots. If you are on the inside, and the opponent doesn't respect your ability or power, then you really shouldn't be on the inside unless sparring/practicing.

You might want to put some hip tosses or other throws in your arsenal for when you are in close. Especially if you want to stifle them tying you up.

If you're shorter than they are, then the inside 'is' where you want to be, with your forehead buried in their chest throwing body hooks, uppercuts and the occasional high hook if the body shots catch his hands down. Since it's kickboxing/mma, you have to be careful of knees in this spot but you can do that if you keep your stance correctly while your inside, where in boxing you can take full advantage here without worrying about anything other than being hugged/grabbed. Their reach will be a disadvantage to them in this situation. Press forward continually so that they can't easily push away and stiff you. If you are the same height or taller, this won't work as well or at all....

Also, go get a bunch of bubblegum, sugar free if your on some sort of strict diet, beef jerky could work too but that might be a bit more disgusting and expensive. Chew a gradually increasing ridiculous amount at any one time. You start with a bunch of pieces to fill up one cheek, a giant wad, and put more in if you need.... This will exhaust the hell out of your jaw muscles after some dedicated minutes, but you will build up a strong jaw this way (just spit out the juices). It's some small extra help chin wise. I warn you though, you will completely exhaust your jaw muscles doing this, so pick a good time for this exercise.

Main thing is to be comfortable. If you feel you are too stiff and you can't get yourself de-stiffed during an actual fight, then I think staying on the outside with kicks and the threat of moving in for quick strikes would suit you better. As you start to press the action and make this an aggressive outside strategy you will likely start to get confidence and loosen up naturally. Otherwise it's a signal that you are losing the fight on points and in your opponents mind, neither are good things, and it might be time to start taking some risks and turning your crazy on.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast