pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    All the hung ga weapon forms/techniques are broken down in 8 basic directions, if that's what you mean. We don't use a trigram pattern on the floor or anything, but those positions/movements are in there. The whole routine is basically those few basic sword attacks/defenses repeated in the 8 directions.
    Not just with the footwork, but perpendicular to the floor too, so the cutting motions of the sword also resemble an asterisk. For example, in Western fencing you have angles 1 and 2 as downward X strokes, 3 and 4 as upward X strokes, 5 and 6 as horizontal forehand and backhand, and 7 and 8 as straight up and straight down. Cuts, not steps. The cuts can be applied with all the different steps.

For a clumsy lug like myself, doing anything right with a dao is masterful. I don't train with a wushu dao either, mine is semisharpened steel so I've gotten a few close shaves due to my own carelessness. Instant karma.
    Oddly enough, the only time I've cut myself with a broadsword was with a wushu sword- it was so thin that even though I was using the spine of the blade around my neck it gave me a little papercut on the back of the neck.

It's definitely not a fighting stance or ready stance. For that, see the Dadao video ...the stances there are more like the practical hang yuet "ready stance".

No dangling limbs or exposed leg, for sure.
    Lots of cross stepping too.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Not just with the footwork, but perpendicular to the floor too, so the cutting motions of the sword also resemble an asterisk. For example, in Western fencing you have angles 1 and 2 as downward X strokes, 3 and 4 as upward X strokes, 5 and 6 as horizontal forehand and backhand, and 7 and 8 as straight up and straight down. Cuts, not steps. The cuts can be applied with all the different steps.
    I see.

Lots of cross stepping too.
    I don't see a problem with that in weapons play.

I know there are many situations where crosstepping is not wise, I don't think swordplay is one of them.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/03/2013 1:02pm at .

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 1:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For comparison here is a wushu form of the dao (1994 gold metal competition). I have no idea what form this is. The hang yuet form I know doesn't have 2/3rds of whatever's going on in this set...I think that is a good thing.

Both hang yuet and this are both dao forms....but one still stands out (to me) drastically more practical than the other.

When I watch the xingyi dao forms I get a sense of less flash, more substance. More precision, less hopitty-hop.

/sigh@riddle of steel

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/03/2013 1:29pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep for me the Hsing Yi weapons have the most appeal in CMA.

This is one of the nicest Jian forms I've looked at on youtube, simple very precise and compared to most a lack of flash.

Also these for 5 element Jian and dao in that order.

Practicing the 5 element spear forms definitely helped the hand forms for me.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I know there are many situations where crosstepping is not wise, I don't think swordplay is one of them.
    There are certain kinds of cross stepping that are sometimes okay, but in general it throws off your ability to step off in any direction. If you do a cross step as you block or parry (or attack), I have a very good idea of where you're going to go next- you're gonna step through, or you're gonna go back to where you came from. Or, if you're really fancy, you'll unwind into a spinning something or other. At any rate, these possibilities are few compared to the ones where you don't cross the feet.

Plus the other reasons they say not to cross the feet.

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are certain kinds of cross stepping that are sometimes okay, but in general it throws off your ability to step off in any direction. If you do a cross step as you block or parry (or attack), I have a very good idea of where you're going to go next- you're gonna step through, or you're gonna go back to where you came from.
    Cross stepping in Hung ga (this is called dragon or unicorn stepping) is trained to be quick and transitional, that way you don't get "stuck" in a disadvantageous position or telegraph your movements like you suggested.

If you get a "very good idea of where I'm going next", I've been too slow. When live blades are involved it definitely makes a difference.

Musashi might have said that...I have a shitty translation.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/03/2013 11:07pm at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234