Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 3:31am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The empire is too expensive (US).

Empires are too expensive. The mighty have always fallen. Colonies can't be held by force, from afar indefinitely.

The most casual glance at history shows that.

Greece was a Zomney punchline this past US election, but there was a time.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 10:20pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    Construction industry, we have no decent unions so nobody's a member, the vast majority of us are self employed so we can be sacked on the spot and can't do anything about it if we complain about it, plus there's a small army if Eastern Europeans who will work for less money and take our jobs when we do complain.
    Out of interest, what would you expect union membership to do for you? How could a "decent" union improve the construction industry?

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:23pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For The Devil

Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Out of interest, what would you expect union membership to do for you? How could a "decent" union improve the construction industry?
    Not my comment but i will answer, Decent unions negotiate for a bigger piece of the pie and reasonable work rules. Nothing more nothing less. Like anything else they can be corrupted and back an industry into a corner or be ineffectual and not benefit their members.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Wrestling, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I'm not condemning all social programs. There is no doubt aid and assistance programs need to exist for the mentally or physically challenged. My post referenced Social Security because the program cannot be fiscally maintained over the long haul. This has been discussed since the late 80's, early 90's.

Support programs for families that have mentally or physically challenged members are a necessity.

I object to the sense of entitlement that perfectly healthy people espouse these days. I have paid into SS my entire working career which started when I was 15. It will not be there for me when I'm old enough to retire in 25 years. I don't even have a problem that. My point is that SS is untenable. It's time to let it go and start concentrating on paying into our own, self-maintained retirement plans.
    And I used to think I would also never see SS. Not so sure now.
    The idea do self-maintained retirement plans is more frightening than Romney.
    Agree also about 80-90s time frame discussion about reforming SS, Medicare, etc., but congress has never had the balls to do it, political suicide...bunch of pussies that most need term limits...

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 1:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Not my comment but i will answer, Decent unions negotiate for a bigger piece of the pie and reasonable work rules. Nothing more nothing less. Like anything else they can be corrupted and back an industry into a corner or be ineffectual and not benefit their members.
    Name one decent union, AND tell us the pay structure of the union leaders. Just one, and pay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 1:45am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

...none of which would do anything to assuage adskibullus' woes.

Freedom of movement for workers is enshrined in EU law, and people in construction being self-employed has happened because our country's labour laws make employing people so arduous that many small to medium-sized construction companies have all but stopped doing it.

Unions over here have, in my lifetime at least, been woefully bad.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 12:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unions days here are gone. Just like the buggy whip. Just a matter of time until they morph into something more palatable, and once the goon leadership is upset and turned over, nothing significant will change.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 12:48pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like anything else they can be corrupted and back an industry into a corner or be ineffectual and not benefit their members.
    Example, Hostess.

Yes, there was more going on, but in a bad economy it makes you wonder wtf they were thinking.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hostess?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66770_10152326697545034_316589805_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	14295  

"Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 2:18pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For The Devil

Quote Originally Posted by -TANK- View Post
    Name one decent union, AND tell us the pay structure of the union leaders. Just one, and pay.
    The UPS union seemed to work out well for them over time. I don't have info on the pay of their leaders. The hostess one is a strange one. The bakers union may have been acting in the best interest by demolishing that company. People still buy bread and bakers may have been better off with business shifting to other companies and possible new jobs. They probably hurt non bakers but the union is supposed to represent their guys. Anecdotal evidence alert, union members I know who are retired seem to do better than non union.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast