Posted On:
    12/26/2012 3:44am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Breaking lapel grip iwith one hand

In light of the silly new IJF rule on gripping to be implemented in 2013,

Penalized with shido: Breaking the grip with 2 hands
    I need advice on breaking a lapel grip with one hand. The only reliable method I've been taught, and which I use regularly, requires both hands. My gripping knowledge is pretty basic to begin with, so any advice on how to deal with this new rule would be appreciated.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2012 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We were just talking about this earlier in class. You also can't grip with one hand and defend grips with the other, as that will be called passivity.

If your opponent has a respectable grip, I honestly don't know any high-percentage techniques to counter that. I was doing this with some degree of success, though:

1. uke gets a lapel grip
    2. I get a counter lapel grip to the inside of theirs
    3. Flare my elbow out, thus flaring theirs out and compromising the alignment of their wrist structure
    4. Pull my torso back and push out against their lapel-gripped arm as my body retracts

This was against one of our good heavyweights, so it took several attempts most of the time.

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 7:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many techniques that involve breaking a lapel or sleeve grip involving only one hand.

However, many of the lapel techniques would only be legal depending on how they define using two hands. For example if uke has a grip on your left lapel, you grip your own left lapel with your left hand just below uke's grip. Then turn your upper body sharply, thrusting your left shoulder diagonally forward. Simultaneously striking uke's grip on your left lapel with your right hand palm, preferable cupping the whole of uke's wrist and thrusting your left hand gripping your own left lapel in the same direction that you've thrust your left shoulder, i.e diagonally forward.

This would technically count as only using one hand in my understanding, because only one hand makes contact with uke's arm/body. However, it in effect utilities two of your hands, one to force your gi away from uke's grip and the other to strike uke's grip away from your gi.

I've not seen any advice on how they're defining one handed vs two handed grip breaks.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Breaking lapel grip iwith one hand

Naszir is working on getting an official explanation of this as we speak.

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 8:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all due respect to the American refereeing fraternity, I'm not sure that their representatives pronouncements on correct interpretations of IJF rules are entirely reliable.

Though given the IJF's appalling incompetence in communicating it's latest dictats to the ordinary Judoka on the mat it's hard to know whose interpretations are accurate.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 11:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 10:57am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my response from a World Team and Olympic coach today. He told me to err on the side of caution as when he was in France earlier this month for a juniors competition the refs were more than happy to disqualify for the now illegal grip breaks. For now it seems everyone has to make the best of a bad situation.
    Last edited by Naszir; 12/28/2012 10:58am at . Reason: typed faster than i can spell

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 10:59am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. We aren't implementing any of the rules changes for the local and regional tourneys I ref in, and I am inclined to agree with Judoka_Uk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 11:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    I got my response from a World Team and Olympic coach today. He told me to err on the side of caution as when he was in France earlier this month for a juniors competition the refs were more than happy to disqualify for the now illegal grip breaks. For now it seems everyone has to make the best of a bad situation.
    Well given that the rules aren't even supposed to start being trialled until the Paris Grand Slam in Feb 2013, what on earth are they doing being implemented at a junior event in December 2012?

And what guarantees does anyone have that if they aren't even using the rules inside the trial period and at the right level for the trial that their interpretations are correct?

I suggest everyone just carries on breaking grips as normal until you go a tournament where the refs brief you on what rules they'll be using and how they'll be interpreting them.

If you're unsure, simple solution is - make sure you get your grip first, then the other guy has to worry about whether his grip break is legal or not.

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 1:31pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Well given that the rules aren't even supposed to start being trialled until the Paris Grand Slam in Feb 2013, what on earth are they doing being implemented at a junior event in December 2012?

And what guarantees does anyone have that if they aren't even using the rules inside the trial period and at the right level for the trial that their interpretations are correct?

I suggest everyone just carries on breaking grips as normal until you go a tournament where the refs brief you on what rules they'll be using and how they'll be interpreting them.

If you're unsure, simple solution is - make sure you get your grip first, then the other guy has to worry about whether his grip break is legal or not.
    My email to the French NGB has yet to be answered as I only have a few contacts there. Perhaps you could reach out to them and inquire why they were so hasty to adopt them. As for continuing to do what we normally do, we want to train the way we compete which is a bit of a sticky wicket for guys like blackmonk and myself as we also compete in SAMBO, FIAS is unphased by the IJF as judo isn't their sport and they pretty much allow any grip or grip break. However, there are far more judo tournaments in our country than SAMBO, including a national qualifier in two months. By training strictly according to the judo ruleset with the upcoming changes included, we hope to not get disqualified due to muscle memory.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast