Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 2:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    I also second the advice to avoid grappling. Even after a few months (lol short time I know) of Judo my wrists and forearms still get wrecked after a good session and I physically ok.
    I have found that Judo is significantly harder on the body than BJJ one of the reasons why I made the transition. I started recovering much quicker from my car accident after getting back to BJJ. I personally have found it to be good for my back but I can't say I would recommend it as everyone is different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 4:06pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you do ANYTHING, take this from a fellow musician of 15 years.

After long and strenuous piano/guitar sessions, plus push ups/kettle bell workouts and all the other wonderful things I do at my hung ga school, you NEED a good pair of baoding balls.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baoding_balls
    These things are AMAZINGLY useful, for musicians, martial artists and pretty much anyone that doesn't want tendonitis. I've let friends borrow them after car accidents and using them prevented one of my friends from needing a heavy surgical procedure done to her wrist. Believe what you want about Chinese medicine and their mindsets, but Baoding balls are SO useful.

You can get them at pretty much any Asian novelty store or other international store, at any local flea markets or even online. They're generally kept in the fancy box like the one in the Wikipedia article, so they aren't hard to find. If you decide to get a pair of these (which I implore you to), I would suggest a pair about a quarter size smaller than a ball on a pool table.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 4:43pm

Style: jkd

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you would stop playing with pairs of Asian balls, maybe you wouldn't run such a high risk of carpel tunnel syndrome and tendinitis in the first place.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: What's your advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead View Post
    If you would stop playing with pairs of Asian balls, maybe you wouldn't run such a high risk of carpel tunnel syndrome and tendinitis in the first place.
    Can you think of an easier way to get help with math?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 5:24pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Touche. My humblest apologies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:45pm

Style: non right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the replies.

I have a question about Tai Chi. I see that it's a great form for fitness. But is it truly great for self defense? Also, does it have any ground fighting applications?

I don't have any health insurance so I can't afford physical therapy. So I'm trying to find all that I can do on my own to rehab my back and wrists.

I know this may be a dumb question, but how do you post normal replies to threads? The only way the thread would let me reply was to hit someone elses quote then delete their post then post my reply.

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
    Thanks all for the replies.

I have a question about Tai Chi. I see that it's a great form for fitness. But is it truly great for self defense?
    Eh, it can be good. Great is something else. Depends on the school and training. You should be learning applications, doing "free" pushing hands and not just patterns, sparring, etc.

Ultimately, for most people, "Don't hang out with drunks" and "Avoid bad areas" is all the self-defense one needs, but you're a gigging musician...

Also, does it have any ground fighting applications?
    Nope.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Southeast Asian arts sometimes teach and utilize drums as part of training/demonstrating; you might be into that.

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 1:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a guitar player of 28 years, who has suffered through both tendonitis and carpal tunnel (in addition to neck injuries), I'd say rehab in the gym prior to undertaking any type of contact training; you need to look after your career.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, you are pretty much screwed. I think the reason Tai Chi would be good, is beacuse it would at least give you a form of martial art to satisfy your curiosity. Self defence? Meh, not much. With the time you will be putting into it, you would most likely learn the Yang 24 form or something like that. You will get to play at martial arts, but don't try to use it on a drunk biker.

Other than Tai Chi, I wouldn't mess around with something that could adversly affect your carreer. Boxing would at least let you shadow box, practice footwork, and get in good shape. Just be careful with your back, and let your coach know that you can't do focus mits or bag work until you get your wrist pain sorted out. Self defence? Boxing would be better.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast