Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon- United States
    Posts
    166
    Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Does Western Boxing or kyokushin fit better with Judo?

    Hey Bullshidos,

    I tried searching for this subject matter and didn't find a thread regarding this directly but as someone is sure to point out, I most likely missed it. After a few weeks on this forum I've decided to throw my childish kung fu dreams away and look at arts that train. Alive. I'll be starting in Judo at Portland Judo next week. I'm stoked about it and ready for an ass whoopin / workout. I currently work out 5 days a week so is like to train 5 days a week. There's a Boxing gym and. Kyokushin dojo I'm considering. What do you experienced guys suggest fits best with Judo and why?

    Thanks for the feedback ya'll!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon- United States
    Posts
    166
    Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    Hey Bullshidos,

    I tried searching for this subject matter and didn't find a thread regarding this directly but as someone is sure to point out, I most likely missed it. After a few weeks on this forum I've decided to throw my childish kung fu dreams away and look at arts that train. Alive. I'll be starting in Judo at Portland Judo next week. I'm stoked about it and ready for an ass whoopin / workout. I currently work out 5 days a week so is like to train 5 days a week. There's a Boxing gym and. Kyokushin dojo I'm considering. What do you experienced guys suggest fits best with Judo and why?

    Thanks for the feedback ya'll!
    P.S. my laptop is still being repaired. I get it back Saturday on my birthday. Sorry for all the typos/structure errors via iPhone.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    17
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is an question I would like to see answered myself though I would put Muay Thai instead of Kyokushin since I don't know of any KK dojo around here.

    But I gess any of these arts would fit well and the most important would be finding a gymn where you can feel at home, that you enjoy the ambient and the training and that the traveling distance and the fees would be less of a problem. Try out both gymns (and maybe a few more) and try to gess the one where you would spend more time of your live. Starting a martial art to quit after a few months is not going to get you much skills.

    Anyway I think you'll get your hands full with Judo at least for a while! If you are clumsy like me you're going to feel ultra noobish for quite some time. Not that it is a problem since Judo is a lot of fun even when you suck at it. XD

    In the near future I realy hope to cross training on a striking art but for now I'll keep with Judo and using free days to conditioning and strengh gaining. In your case hear the older Bullie's advise and try to do what fits you best.
    Last edited by Wolfskin; 11/28/2012 7:20pm at .

  4. #4
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,296
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try out both and figure out which one you like. You could even do a quick, "here's what happened when I tried out both" thread and ask us then, but the consensus is that Kyukushin and Boxing are both good, so the legit answers you'll receive will be a little redundant.

    Also, you're not a n00b anymore. You've seen the culture here, get out in the wild, the reason why you're posting this here is because you suspect it is a redundant question and don't want to get railed for it. If you start posting in the wild, you won't ask redundant questions because of this fact. You will start to think about what you are about to post before you post it and you'll go, "hmm, maybe I'll wait to tell everyone I've started judo after I've started judo and maybe I'll try out boxing and karate then ask which one based on my experience in both gyms."

    It's win win.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon- United States
    Posts
    166
    Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Try out both and figure out which one you like. You could even do a quick, "here's what happened when I tried out both" thread and ask us then, but the consensus is that Kyukushin and Boxing are both good, so the legit answers you'll receive will be a little redundant.

    Also, you're not a n00b anymore. You've seen the culture here, get out in the wild, the reason why you're posting this here is because you suspect it is a redundant question and don't want to get railed for it. If you start posting in the wild, you won't ask redundant questions because of this fact. You will start to think about what you are about to post before you post it and you'll go, "hmm, maybe I'll wait to tell everyone I've started judo after I've started judo and maybe I'll try out boxing and karate then ask which one based on my experience in both gyms."

    It's win win.
    All good points sir. I'm taking a class at the Kyokushin dojo tomorrow night. I'll post what class was like and how I felt about the atmosphere. My boy is finishing up my left upper half sleeve for me Friday for a bday present so I'll check out the boxing gym next week. Also, does $75 another for Judo 3 days a week sounds right? The instructors are supposed to be top notch but I don't know a lot about them. Jim Jude said it looked like a good judo place.

  6. #6
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,296
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not going to want to grapple for at least a week after ink, bro. Believe.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

  7. #7
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Western boxing fits with anything. That's why it's the sweet science.

    Boxing fits extremely well with kung fu and kyokushin too.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon- United States
    Posts
    166
    Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    You're not going to want to grapple for at least a week after ink, bro. Believe.
    Good advice. I was curious how that was going to feel. Thanks. I'll let it heal a week. Can't turn down free ink.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon- United States
    Posts
    166
    Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfskin View Post
    That is an question I would like to see answered myself though I would put Muay Thai instead of Kyokushin since I don't know of any KK dojo around here.

    But I gess any of these arts would fit well and the most important would be finding a gymn where you can feel at home, that you enjoy the ambient and the training and that the traveling distance and the fees would be less of a problem. Try out both gymns (and maybe a few more) and try to gess the one where you would spend more time of your live. Starting a martial art to quit after a few months is not going to get you much skills.

    Anyway I think you'll get your hands full with Judo at least for a while! If you are clumsy like me you're going to feel ultra noobish for quite some time. Not that it is a problem since Judo is a lot of fun even when you suck at it. XD

    In the near future I realy hope to cross training on a striking art but for now I'll keep with Judo and using free days to conditioning and strengh gaining. In your case hear the older Bullie's advise and try to do what fits you best.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll post how the kyokushin experience was when I get home tonight.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    286
    Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd pick boxing with no other information. But I've seen some pretty sketchy boxing gyms (Had some shitty trainers hitting me up for drug money), and some boxercise gyms being mis-labeled as real gyms. If either of these is the case, I might avoid them.

    I feel boxing really establishes great fundamentals, but I'd just try both and see which one you like. Kyokushin is a solid art and can be really fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in