Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Book (Kindle), PFL is Pushing it!

My friend, BJJ instructor Mark Johnson has his second book out on Kindle. I've been reading his blog for years and he's a good writer and thinker.

"Borrowing the Master's Bicycle has jumped from #30 to #19 on Amazon's Kindle list (under BJJ) in one day! If you bought one, thank you. Still looking for the #1 spot." - Mark Johnson on fb.

http://www.amazon.com/Borrowing-Mast...9&keywords=bjj

and his fb page https://www.facebook.com/mark.w.johnson.77?group_id=0

and his blog: http://tapordiecompany.com/ which also has a link for his first book, BJJ On The Mind
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one of two reviews he's got for the book so far, now check out the fucking thing!:
    “Borrowing the Master's Bicycle, along with Jiu-Jitsu on the Brain should be required reading for all jiu-jitsu men and women. This is in no small part due to Johnson's endearing and accessible writing style that allows his attitude, shaped by years spent on the mats, to come through clearly in his prose. Make no mistake about it, writing chops aside, Johnson is the quintessence of a martial artist, and in this work he has created a unique meditation on what jiu-jitsu is and what it means to those of us who are lucky enough to spend every waking moment dissecting its intricacies. The passion Johnson displays for the "gentle art" should make for an enjoyable read, even for the uninitiated. - By Pålido
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 6:50pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's it about? His experiences training BJJ?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2012 12:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's black under Pedro Sauer and has two schools in Utah. He was a football player for USU decades ago, and when he wanted to get into teaching my prof (I was a grad student) went to bat for him, telling me that a big tough Black man is EXACTLY who needs to be in the classroom. He teaches English in Ogden Utah in a rough school. Lots of tattoos, big and (now) gentle, a great guy.

He says that years ago he was in great shape, after being a starter for four years, and saw a BJJ school and walked in. After some drills they rolled and he was matched with a 145 lb guy. He said he looked at the little guy and thought, I'll try not to hurt him. Of course he tapped out in record time, and tapped out ten times in a row and was hooked. He KNOWS size and strength lose to technique and teaches that way. He keeps telling us in class, slow down, relax, use technique not power.
    another good review:

“Mark Johnson dives deeper into the experience of training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the philosophy and life while on the path. Anyone interested in training or already living the lifestyle should read this book. You'll find yourself nodding your head in agreement and laughing out loud. Some of Mark’s observations are so true you didn't even realize you did them until after you read it. Another great job Mark, I'm an even bigger fan now & can't wait for the next one. “ - Matthew
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/22/2012 1:13am at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 12:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another reivew:
    “This is the second Mark Johnson book that I have read and I find that in both of his books Mark likes to keep it simple, playful and very enjoyable. He simply talks about his experiences and things that every Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner will experience. He talks about simple things like Honor, and enjoying the journey and keeping a White belt mind. All very good advice and uplifting. I enjoy your books Mark and look forward to more. And congratulations on your Black Belt” - Dennis W. Okeefe

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 5:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    more good reviews!

This review is from: Borrowing the Master's Bicycle: and other essays on Brazilian jiu-jitsu (Kindle Edition) 5 out of 5 stars
    “What can I say? I love Borrowing the Master's bicycle! Mark's writing style is very enjoyable. It's like listening to an old friend tell you about his philosophies and beliefs. If a book were ever to make you 'feel at home', this is it. I'm fairly new to the art and have already seen and believe many of the things he writes. I'm sure one day It'll feel like Mark wrote this book just for me.
    If you like listening and/or talking about Jiu Jitsu, you will thoroughly enjoy Mark's book. It's not a 1000 submission book, or a "eat and think like me" book. It's funny, witty, and makes you love the art even more. So, if you have a little time, a little money ($4.99 just buy it) download. You won't regret it.” -D. Rack

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 3:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy this book BJJers!

Mark was interviewed and said, "My man Jesus Lopez hooked me up with an interview about my book Jiu-jitsu on the Brain. Thanks, man. I really appreciate your efforts. (Do I really sound like that? I sound way cooler in my head)."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 7:28am

Style: krav maga, bjj, mma,

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is starting to feel a little spammy. I don't think multiple posts pushing th book is making people more inclined to buy it.