Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were you in the UK, you could attempt (attempt, mind you) selection for elite units so as to 'test the water' on whether it suited you. For example, 4 (V) PARA, 21 SAS (V), 23 SAS (V), Royal Marine Commando Reserve (RMR) and more.

All would represent a gruelling training regimen which would require you to show self-discipline and show your worth to the unit, whilst you are training and improving. Training courses would provide the necessary Skill-sets and mark your progress plus allowing you to develop a sense of self-worth, confidence, transferable mil skills, Regimental identity.

Officership tends to follow after a minimum of 1 year service in the ranks.

Do the ADF allow for similar options to support their elite units? If so, it could represent a possible route for you.

Remember you are already limited by your age.

I think you may have either misread or misunderstood my point about Kill or be killed etc. The Mil usually ask whether you are prepared to kill. If you are quick to say "yes" or "Fucking' A!" the Recruiter will likely ask a 'trick cyclst' to take a look at your sense of values. In short, no unit wants a psychopath: they can't be trusted; don't know when to stop; may bring the Regimental name into disrepute.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 12/20/2012 3:00pm at . Reason: 'V' in wrong place.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 3:18pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Were you in the UK, you could attempt (attempt, mind you) selection for elite units so as to 'test the water' on whether it suited you. For example, 4 (V) PARA, 21 SAS (V), 23 SAS (V), Royal Marine Commando Reserve (RMR) and more.

All would represent a gruelling training regimen which would require you to show self-discipline and show your worth to the unit, whilst you are training and improving. Training courses would provide the necessary Skill-sets and mark your progress plus allowing you to develop a sense of self-worth, confidence, transferable mil skills, Regimental identity.

Officership tends to follow after a minimum of 1 year service in the ranks.

Do the ADF allow for similar options to support their elite units? If so, it could represent a possible route for you.

Remember you are already limited by your age.

I think you may have either misread or misunderstood my point about Kill or be killed etc. The Mil usually ask whether you are prepared to kill. If you are quick to say "yes" or "Fucking' A!" the Recruiter will likely ask a 'trick cyclst' to take a look at your sense of values. In short, no unit wants a psychopath: they can't be trusted; don't know when to stop; may bring the Regimental name into disrepute.
    http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/jobs/Commando/Entry/

We used to have a similar program (a mate of mine was considering DE when you could try out for the SASR) but they've pared it back considerably.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 3:46pm

Style: Kickboxing / MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a Captain in the Royal Canadian Artillery-Reserve. I joined when I was 39, and I had no pretense that I was to become a General, special forces operator, but I was committed to doing something positive with my life, and to give something back to my great country while learning new and challenging things.

I considered a career in the Reg Force, and came close to transferring after my Common Army phase training. In the end I decided not to because of the disruption this would cause to my wife and kids.

My point in telling you this, is that age really isn't a factor stopping you from getting in the military, providing you understand your limitations of time and potential.

I don't have trouble keeping up to the troops I lead, for the most part they have trouble keeping up to me. (This is thanks to my MMA training and BJJ.- I am certain you will find many like-minded BJJ and combative sports types in the Australian Army)

I do have trouble getting through the massive training cycle expected of an officer. There are so many courses, and endless demands on my time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the challenges, but much of what I expected to be doing in the Army isn't at all what I ended up doing. The secret of understanding what an Officer does is revealed in the part of the word "Officer" before the "er" part. If you want to enter as an officer, expect to be in the office, LOTS.

The cool blowing sh#t up part is there for sure, but most of it is done by the non-officers. (Non-Commissioned Members) So if you want the fun jobs, with limited responsibilities to start, I would suggest the NCM route. If you are hankering for paper cuts, less blowing stuff up, and loads of responsibility, become an officer. ( I am not exaggerating,- LOT's of very painful paper cuts!- ok not really that painful.)

Being an officer is a great responsibility and a privilege, but there is also great honor and opportunity serving as an NCM, and for most folks it is more like the job they were dreaming of when they were a wee lad in the backyard with their buddies attacking the Hun trench.

Had I to do it over again, I would probably not changed a thing, as I advance in years I am thankful that much of the hard slogging is done by the younger more resilient troops. I can use my brains and maturity to problem solve, and when needed I can get my hands dirty with the troops.

However, there is a part of me that wonders if the NCM route would not have been more enjoyable, I mean seriously, who doesn't like blowing up sh#t?

Whatever you decide to do, remember that age really isn't much to worry about. If you are a little slower, work longer, if you are not as smart, study longer. In the end you will enjoy the experience. Join up, if isn't for you, you will know soon enough.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123