Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 9:17pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    A couple of things.

Standing: A big part of throwing people in Judo is to be able to detect the opportunity to throw. One thing that does not get drilled much (in my experience) is certain common situations (opportunities). A very simple one is what you experienced in the match.

Uke was pushing/leaning on you pretty hard. And you just pushed back, or tried to throw him to the rear. That's a common thing, especially with beginners/novices.

One solution is to actually drill the situation...have your uke push on you, and figure out how to sense and throw off of that opportunity. Start off with simply having uke walk towards you, then you can add in more resistance with time. Experiment with giving uke a bit of resistance to his push/shove, then turn and throw. Try giving him a bit of a push to aggressively come back at you, then turn and throw. Work on circling in response to pushing and see what you can come up with throw wise from that.

Stop leaning on your opponent. Get your head up...

You also need to stop shifting your grip around all the time, pull your arms in, and keep your elbows down. Begin working on some sort of process to get a usable grip. Start off with a usable grip, then have uke try to fight out of it while you maintain good posture and the grip. See what kinds of opportunity that creates for you.

Keep working on your basics and basic throws. It takes a while, but if you persist you'll get better.

Ben
    Thanks for the tips! I look forward to trying the drills you recommended and I feel that they will deffinatly help me develop.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 11:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV43BqvSynM

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice reaction to the attempted yoko sankaku roll. Work on not turtling. If the guy had known how to really do the sankaku you would have been toast.

Nice reaction to the attempted yoko sankaku roll. Work on not turtling. If the guy had known how to really do the sankaku you would have been toast.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 10:38pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last two vids with the munegatame - looks like you need to work on getting more pressure onto the chest. Your coach was yelling at you to drop your hips, good advice. Work on constant pressure during osaekomi, as uke is moving under you and you are possibly changing holds, always keeping that weight on. And it's just me personally but I am not long in that position before I'm looking for the udegarame.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2013 7:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Male 100kg brown and black belt division I was fighting up in weight. I throw the match pretty hard at the end. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted On:
    9/08/2013 1:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judokarl View Post

Male 100kg brown and black belt division I was fighting up in weight. I throw the match pretty hard at the end. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hi Karl,

You are looking better for sure !

1.) You still tend to make desperate looking attacks..I understand off the grip attack strategy, and if that is what you were doing, you need to work on it some more (as do we all). Don't use it all the time, though. In you case, fighting up a division, I can see why you would rely more on it if you felt overpowered/whelmed by the larger man.

2.) You were letting go of your grip in the middle of the throw, then trying to do makikomi to salvage. If you lose your grip, it is usually do to poor initial hand placement.

3.) Again, focus on getting a useable grip,move, and throw (outside of the grip and go tactic). You eventually will need to have both of them down, so keep training.

4.) On your final throw, you got a useable grip, used his reaction to your bearing down on him to do a Ouchi Gari variation, so very good ! See, it works ! As your coach was yelling at you, to move him, well, he is of course correct.

5.) You lost because you tried to go around his legs without any upper body control...in fact,no control at all. So he detected that and reversed you. It's always better to take your time in that situation. Look at different methods of control from there and drill them in isolation and then situationally.

Keep working on you posture, and only put your weight on uke standing when you have a good grip and a plan to use the reaction. Don't hold it forever, or it will be used against you by a good judoka.

Keep working on grip, move throw. Isolate the grip sequence, then add movement, then add throwing. Go back a step and isolate the component of what is not working, drill it, increment up again to test, and go back or move on depending on results.

In randori, do the same. You will need a partner who is willing to do that for you, so you do it back for him/her.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2013 7:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Hi Karl,

In randori, do the same. You will need a partner who is willing to do that for you, so you do it back for him/her.
    Thank you very much for the information! Bullshido has been a very good tool for me to pot vides and get positive feedback to get to work on!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys Another month another judo tournament. Got to do 5 maches this time! and ended up just not places. Hopefully I can find the other videos.

And another loss

Another match. This one I win

Last edited by judokarl; 10/06/2013 10:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got another one. Another loss to the same guy. This time in the open divsion. I lose this round by osoto as well.

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 2:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judokarl View Post
    Hey guys Another month another judo tournament. Got to do 5 maches this time! and ended up just not places. Hopefully I can find the other videos.

OK, Karl, first match comments.

1.) You are still not getting a useable grip. You start to, then seem to get in a huge hurry to do something, like, well, ill timed Osoto Gari on a larger, stronger opponent.
    Keep working on controlling the sleeve. If you lose that, against a righty, then drop the lapel hand if you can and start over. Drill sleeve control methods until you do them in your sleep, until you automatically do them even when getting a grip to do uchikomi.

2.) Your stance...develop the habit of using a stronger migi (right) shizentai stance. Standing square and switching your feet around leaves you very open to being attacked effectively. Stop doing uchikomi from an opens stance. Practice moving around in the migi shizentai, burn it into your psyche !

3.) You've got time to do Judo, even under current rules. Don't rush in (aggression is good, but you need to be aggressive with good methodology/technique) and give yourself away do to time pressure.

Post something of yourself doing uchikomi/nagekomi for further on your basic Judo.

4.)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast