Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/15/2012 10:32pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thinking of a HD Shotgun

Hey folks, I'm finally back on the site and posting about guns I hope to be able to afford. Seems like old times.

I had to sell my Rock Island 1911 to afford the moving truck, and lately I've felt naked without ye olde trump card. My first idea was to get a GLOCK 19 and go all CHP with it, but I have some new thoughts.

In the three months I've been here, I haven't gone much of anywhere. I am a cripple in a third floor walk-up with no car, so I guess that makes sense. It now seems that I should focus more on securing my home than securing my person while out and about. To that end, I'm considering Mossberg International's SA-20 Tactical (Model #75781) 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun (Mossberg's site has been down recently, and the product page is there for some reason instead of on Mossberg Iternational's site).

The gun is made by Armsan in Turkey, essentially a hodgepodge of Beretta and Benelli designs that's been well liked for three years now. This is also available from Weatherby with some minor differences as the SA-459 TR. Expected modifications include a magazine extension from Choate and, eventually, a reflex sight from Trijicon. Selected defensive ammo is Federal's PD256, 24 Pellets of No. 4 Buckshot at 1100fps, which I can get in 25 shell boxes.

I have selected 20 gauge to reduce recoil compared to 12 gauge (without going down to .410) and semi-auto over pump due to both recoil reduction and the tendency of my left hand to **** up in tense situations.

Any thoughts?

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 4:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, Mossberg's product page for this gun is back online.

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are holding the gun correctly recoil should not be an issue. That being said 20 gauge is certainly adequate for HD. Either way you're ok. I like the pump for HD. The sound of a pump action sliding into battery is universally recognized and tends to send goblins fleeing back into the night.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 11:13am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I run a Mossberg 930 SPX in 12 guage for HD in addition to my Remmy 870. I have no problems with the Mossberg at all and the choice of a semi-auto is great. I like the ability of getting off a second shot super fast, if the need arises. No matter which way you go, make sure to get a mag tube extension for your shotgun, extra rounds is never a bad thing, IMO.

As for a 20ga vs a 12ga, have you given thought to reduced recoil loads for the 12ga? They are just down loaded rounds, our local Sheriff's Dept used them in their shotguns and they seem to like them a bunch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 11:18am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sound of you racking your pump action should NOT be trusted to send 'goblins fleeing into the night.' It may, it may not. It may just clue in the burglar where to start shooting at.

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 11:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead View Post
    The sound of you racking your pump action should NOT be trusted to send 'goblins fleeing into the night.' It may, it may not. It may just clue in the burglar where to start shooting at.

Severe reading fail. Where did I state you should "trust" the sound to send someone fleeing? I only said that it has been known to, which is factually correct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 11:58am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough.
    I wasn't saying 'he said that it will always work' I was posting that 'it can't be trusted to'. Meaning it shouldn't be relied upon to. If the sound scares off an intruder, great! Then you don't need to shoot an intruder/hold them at gunpoint. Just pointing out a way that that might go wrong. I know that it has worked for some people in the past, but didn't want the OP or anybody else to think that this could be counted on. I've read and heard accounts of this happening, but, just like everybody else, criminals are unpredictable, and can also read, listen, learn, think, and plan to. Maybe some burglar has heard or read the same things and decided "hmmm, I REALLY want whatever **** I find in this house, and if some guy racks his shotgun, I'm going to get him before he gets me." I don't know. Basically just saying, if there is an intruder in your house, don't try to scare them off first, because it could get you killed if things don't turn out how you want them to.

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    If you are holding the gun correctly recoil should not be an issue. [...] The sound of a pump action sliding into battery is universally recognized and tends to send goblins fleeing back into the night.
    I trust that you're right, but I've got to do the most I can to avoid my balance problems being an issue. I figure a 20 gauge semi-auto is my best chance for a shotgun to be a valid option.

Regarding the psychological effect of working the pump action, my preferred tactic is to point my weapon an the only means of egress (in a room with one door) from behind cover (visual, not ballistic) and make as little noise as possible while calling 911 from my cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    No matter which way you go, make sure to get a mag tube extension for your shotgun, extra rounds is never a bad thing, IMO. [...] As for a 20ga vs a 12ga, have you given thought to reduced recoil loads for the 12ga?
    I mentioned a magazine extension in the OP. As for 20 gauge, I figure any kind of load will be lighter recoiling in 20 gauge versus only some loads in 12 gauge.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 3:21pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Due to it's overall length a typical shotgun is only a good choice for static defense of your bedroom or similar IMHO. If you think you might have to clear your home, as in a "go see what that noise is" scenario, a pistol is a better choice. The issue is the length will cause you to have to enter rooms either with the barrel leading or with the barrel down, neither of which is an optimal choice if you think intruders are hiding in your home.

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Due to it's overall length a typical shotgun is only a good choice for static defense of your bedroom or similar IMHO.
    That is the scenario I'm planning for, as any other is asking to get killed (if you're me).
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast