Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2012 10:14pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Japanese Jujutsu in Portland?

Thanks for checking the post Bullshidos.

I'm currently training Kyokushin 5 days a week but after my tournament in April of 2013 I'm looking to cross train some grappling. It will most likely be Judo being we have an Olympic medalist instructing at Portland Judo but the nerd in me really wants to check out japanese jujutsu. From what I've seen on YouTube and read it's more of a stand up style that still focuses heavily on grappling. Does anyone know of any good places in the Portland area that train alive in japanese jujutsu? In a perfect world if train Judo and BJJ but I just can't afford both with my kyokushin. I'm not giving up kyokushin. Osu! If anyone could point me in the direction of some places to check out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 12:37am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    Thanks for checking the post Bullshidos.

I'm currently training Kyokushin 5 days a week but after my tournament in April of 2013 I'm looking to cross train some grappling. It will most likely be Judo being we have an Olympic medalist instructing at Portland Judo but the nerd in me really wants to check out japanese jujutsu. From what I've seen on YouTube and read it's more of a stand up style that still focuses heavily on grappling. Does anyone know of any good places in the Portland area that train alive in japanese jujutsu? In a perfect world if train Judo and BJJ but I just can't afford both with my kyokushin. I'm not giving up kyokushin. Osu! If anyone could point me in the direction of some places to check out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    Who would be the Olympic medalist training in Portland?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 1:11am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    Who would be the Olympic medalist training in Portland?
    I read the website incorrectly. Sorry. It was a quote by Kevin Asano. This is from the website.

ROY KAWAJI
    Head Sensei

By Kevin Asano

Roy Kawaji holds a 4th degree black belt and has been involved with every aspect of Judo for the past 39 years.

He is possibly most remembered for changing the landscape of high school Judo competition in Hawaii. Overnight, he created a high school Judo powerhouse that went on to finish undefeated seasons year after year. He later solidified his illustrious coaching career by becoming certified in all three branches of service as a Nationally Certified Coach, National Referee and Kata Judge. He currently sits on the Executive Committee of the United States Judo Federation as Assistant to the President.

Although he had spent most of his childhood as a fierce national competitor, the decades following were dedicated to studying the philosophy of Judo. This combination has given him the rare ability to share his knowledge and experience to his class with simple beauty and grace. The sheer number of students and instructors who credit him for their love of Judo, is hard to match.

On my journey around the globe, en route to medaling at the World Games and Olympics, I had the opportunity to train with the best teachers in the world and I can honestly say that Roy Kawaji ranks with the best of them.

I remember my late Sensei, 7th Degree Professor Fukushima looking over his coaching prodigy and saying, “Roy is Coach Midas. Everything he touches turns to gold.”

(Kevin Asano is an Olympic Silver medalist and World bronze medalist. He was named the US Judo Athlete of the Year by the US Olympic Committee and has been inducted into the US Judo Hall of Fame in 2008.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 9:37am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    I read the website incorrectly. Sorry. It was a quote by Kevin Asano. This is from the website.

ROY KAWAJI
    Head Sensei

By Kevin Asano

Roy Kawaji holds a 4th degree black belt and has been involved with every aspect of Judo for the past 39 years.

He is possibly most remembered for changing the landscape of high school Judo competition in Hawaii. Overnight, he created a high school Judo powerhouse that went on to finish undefeated seasons year after year. He later solidified his illustrious coaching career by becoming certified in all three branches of service as a Nationally Certified Coach, National Referee and Kata Judge. He currently sits on the Executive Committee of the United States Judo Federation as Assistant to the President.

Although he had spent most of his childhood as a fierce national competitor, the decades following were dedicated to studying the philosophy of Judo. This combination has given him the rare ability to share his knowledge and experience to his class with simple beauty and grace. The sheer number of students and instructors who credit him for their love of Judo, is hard to match.

On my journey around the globe, en route to medaling at the World Games and Olympics, I had the opportunity to train with the best teachers in the world and I can honestly say that Roy Kawaji ranks with the best of them.

I remember my late Sensei, 7th Degree Professor Fukushima looking over his coaching prodigy and saying, “Roy is Coach Midas. Everything he touches turns to gold.”

(Kevin Asano is an Olympic Silver medalist and World bronze medalist. He was named the US Judo Athlete of the Year by the US Olympic Committee and has been inducted into the US Judo Hall of Fame in 2008.)
    Roy and the Hung brothers teach some good judo in portland. Regionaly there is some world class judo here. I looked up Roy's web sight after my reply and saw the statement, roy and kevin did alot of judo together. Good luck and enjoy your journey,

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japanese Ju Jutsu is probably just Gendai Ju Jutsu.
    Most Gendai Ju Jutsu styles are just a mix of (Shotokan) Karate + Judo + Aikido - randori.

The best thing is to observe the Judo class and see how the mix is between stand-up and groundfighting. Most schools will have a nice balanced mixture.
    While Judo groundfighting isn't BJJ, it's something that you shouldn't underestimate and will give you a very good "topgame".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Budo_Brown,

Just moved to the area. I would be glad to do some cross training and show you some grappling if you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 9:01am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A quick Google search turns up a few things.

This jujutsu club (which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole):
    http://www.portlandjujitsu.com/

An aikido club with BJJ classes (assuming they're telling the truth about their head instructor's credentials, this would be good aikido; not sure about the BJJ guy):
    https://www.facebook.com/NorthPortlandJujitsu

A Danzan-ryu club (I know almost nothing about DZR):
    https://www.facebook.com/NorthPortlandJujitsu

This karate/jujutsu place (which I also wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole):
    http://www.shorinjikido.com/

This club (whose web site is trying really hard to look like something out of a samurai movie):
    http://www.prmaa.com/