223838 Bullies, 3643 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 221 to 230 of 417
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 2425262733 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,955

    Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:51pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
    This comment is beneath you. That is all.
    No, your reading skills are beneath me.
  2. ChuckWepner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 12:30am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Do you not have publication bans on certain court information already? In Canada young offenders names are protected. Also in the case of child abuse the offenders name is not published if it would identify the victim.
    We do have some restrictions, but they are *much* more limited than in the UK or Canada, due to the freedom of the press guarantee in the First Amendment to our Constitution. Adult offenders' names are available in pretty much every case, leaving aside national security cases heard by special courts. Juvenile court proceedings are sometimes public and sometimes not, largely at the discretion of the presiding judge. When they are public, the offender's name can be published, though many news media outlets won't in many cases. The link is to statements from several journalists saying what their (surprisingly varied) policies about publishing juveniles' names in connection with court cases.

    http://www.journalismcenter.org/reso...rnalists-weigh
  3. ChuckWepner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 2:05am


     

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Also, that's not all that surfaced. A police chief has suggested hiring retired cops or current officers looking for extra funds.
    Single point entry, plus a police officer does seem like the option most likely to increase safety at schools. Arming teachers seems like a bad idea. The large majority of teachers don't have anything like the training to make it prudent to expect them to win a shootout. Even with the training that they would no doubt be given, what evidence is there that having frightened amateurs attempting to join an attacker in a gun fight would make students safer?

    The "arm the teachers" proponents also need to take into account that a majority of Americans choose not to own guns, and it isn't at all clear why anyone should think that teachers in general want to carry firearms. No doubt it varies a lot by region and other factors, but most of the grade school teachers near my home seem to be very anti-gun.

    Further, the chance that large numbers of guns in the schools not in the control of trained, experienced professionals will lead to accidental shootings, gun thefts by students, use of the guns by teachers in confrontations with students, or other problems has to be taken into account. And as Arthur L. Kellermann (M.D., M.P.H.), et al., found in their study, "Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home," published in the Journal of Trauma 45 (1998): 263-267, in their sample set, among people who injured or killed someone with a gun that they kept in their home, 48% of the shootings were attempted or successful suicides, 30% were homicides, attempted homicides, or assaults with a deadly weapon, 18% were accidental shootings, and 4% were self-defense or justifiable homicides or attempted homicides. Now, teachers may be more responsible than the average gun owner (or may not be), but what data I can find does not encourage me that putting more guns into schools would make them any safer.
  4. erezb is offline
    erezb's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,267

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 6:26am


     Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    . And as Arthur L. Kellermann (M.D., M.P.H.), et al., found in their study, "Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home," published in the Journal of Trauma 45 (1998): 263-267, in their sample set, among people who injured or killed someone with a gun that they kept in their home, 48% of the shootings were attempted or successful suicides, 30% were homicides, attempted homicides, or assaults with a deadly weapon, 18% were accidental shootings, and 4% were self-defense or justifiable homicides or attempted homicides. Now, teachers may be more responsible than the average gun owner (or may not be), but what data I can find does not encourage me that putting more guns into schools would make them any safer.
    From the data you provided, it is clear that gun ownership is doing more bad than good (suicides,homicides accidents etc.) only 4%!!!!!! is doing what they were intended for...I think that if someone isn't willing to bar his windows and install a safe door, he shouldn't be able to but a gun for self defense...that is just stupid.
    Another thing, people here think that more guns on the streets can prevent killings etc. What are the actual stats about crimes being prevented by armed by passers? Is it a real claim?
  5. submessenger is offline
    submessenger's Avatar

    Transmaniacon MC

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    1,602

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 7:43am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, your reading skills are beneath me.
    I think I'm beginning to understand you. Retracted.
  6. DCS is offline
    DCS's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,036

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 8:00am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Another thing, people here think that more guns on the streets can prevent killings etc. What are the actual stats about crimes being prevented by armed by passers? Is it a real claim?
    It seems the claim has real basis (1) but if the laws regarding legitimate use of deadly force in self defense are not well understood by armed citizens, murders and non-negligent manslaughters increase (2).

    Crime is a more complex issue than 'gun control' vs 'gun freedom'.



    1.- http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f...gh-Targets.pdf
    2.- http://econweb.tamu.edu/mhoekstra/castle_doctrine.pdf
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,955

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 8:33am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    Single point entry, plus a police officer does seem like the option most likely to increase safety at schools. Arming teachers seems like a bad idea. The large majority of teachers don't have anything like the training to make it prudent to expect them to win a shootout. Even with the training that they would no doubt be given, what evidence is there that having frightened amateurs attempting to join an attacker in a gun fight would make students safer?

    The "arm the teachers" proponents also need to take into account that a majority of Americans choose not to own guns, and it isn't at all clear why anyone should think that teachers in general want to carry firearms. No doubt it varies a lot by region and other factors, but most of the grade school teachers near my home seem to be very anti-gun.

    Further, the chance that large numbers of guns in the schools not in the control of trained, experienced professionals will lead to accidental shootings, gun thefts by students, use of the guns by teachers in confrontations with students, or other problems has to be taken into account. And as Arthur L. Kellermann (M.D., M.P.H.), et al., found in their study, "Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home," published in the Journal of Trauma 45 (1998): 263-267, in their sample set, among people who injured or killed someone with a gun that they kept in their home, 48% of the shootings were attempted or successful suicides, 30% were homicides, attempted homicides, or assaults with a deadly weapon, 18% were accidental shootings, and 4% were self-defense or justifiable homicides or attempted homicides. Now, teachers may be more responsible than the average gun owner (or may not be), but what data I can find does not encourage me that putting more guns into schools would make them any safer.
    Oh good lord, I'll PM scrapper for the full stats. I'm not a true gun nut, but you are quoting the easily accessible scare numbers. Those numbers are half truths just like many of the stats the NRA uses.

    Get the data for the "guns in schools" especially public ones because I have never seen that data.
  8. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,632

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 9:59am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple things from the news coverage that are catching my attention.

    First, it's early and the proposed legislation could very possibly change, but as it stands now, the **** Feinstein's bill would ban the sale of nearly all semiautomatic weapons. That's fucking insane and would be a complete slap in the face to anyone who owns a weapon for self defense purposes. It would also be a crushing blow to the firearms industry in this country, which is one of the few healthy industries in the nation. Great idea to cripple a thriving industry in the middle of shaky economic times.

    Second - it never ceases to amaze me how the media can allow their reporting to be completely emotion based with no regard for reality and no attention to detail. Virtually all the reporting is about what Obama would support and what Cuntstein's bill says and Joe Biden heading efforts and a couple Democrat senators who say they're open to the idea of gun control.

    The stories that matter are almost nowhere to be found. The only real question that matters here is if Republicans in the House of Representatives can be swayed to vote in favor of gun control legislation. If not, any efforts for more gun control are dead in the water before they even start. And the likelihood of that happening is extremely low, in my opinion. But you have to look hard to find any of that type of discussion.

    When the assault weapons ban was passed in 1994 the Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate and we had a Democrat President. And even then, the Democrats had to use heavy party discipline to push it through. AND the Democrats subsequently got their asses handed to them in the next round of Congressional elections. The climate may have changed enough to get some Democrats to change their stance, but good luck with the Republicans in the House.
    Last edited by Devil; 12/19/2012 10:08am at .
  9. patfromlogan is offline
    patfromlogan's Avatar

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hilo Island of Hawaii
    Posts
    8,844

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 12:22pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You wrote about killing a mob and when responded to, the responder was attacked for not getting your trolling (or something to that effect). Therefore you win if taken seriously, win if not, the logical response being countered either way.

    So what are the self-defense value in a 30 clip magazine? Taking out a lynch mob circa 1935 Alabama? Please tell me something good, beneficial, that automatics, held by civilians, have done.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
  10. ChuckWepner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391

    Posted On:
    12/19/2012 12:43pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oh good lord, I'll PM scrapper for the full stats. I'm not a true gun nut, but you are quoting the easily accessible scare numbers. Those numbers are half truths just like many of the stats the NRA uses.

    Get the data for the "guns in schools" especially public ones because I have never seen that data.
    Actually, I read the article in J Trauma before posting about it. The numbers are just one study, based on data from 3 cities (Memphis, Seattle, and Galveston), over a period of 18 months. If you have some reason to think that the statistics are atypical, I'll be glad to find that out.

    The problem is that non-anecdotal evidence on successful use of guns for self-defense is hard to find. I searched for more recent and more extensive studies in the public health literature before I posted. I'd be very interested in seeing more complete information.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.