3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I remember these words when they armed pilots and flight attendants after 9/11.

Also, that's not all that surfaced. A police chief has suggested hiring retired cops or current officers looking for extra funds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swollen Elf Goon View Post
    Arming teachers seems a bad idea. But a cop or pro security guard could go a long way.
    Another idea floating around facebook, tonight, suggests that unemployed vets would be a good fit.

Part of me is like, "hell, yeah!"

But, then I sarcastically think "overworked cops, old guys, and ex-jarheads that can't get a job - yeah, that's who I want protecting my kids." No disrespect to any of those guys, but, seriously, if we're going to go down this road, let's not be half-assed about it. All primary education institutions should be protected by SEALs, Delta Force, or other advanced operators.

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    This is a good whitepaper on him, one of my favorites.

The Jester Dynamic: A Lesson in Asymmetric
    Unmanaged Cyber Warfare
    He's fond of promoting it, and I've read it. I'm not convinced he's a loner, rather than a team, but I support his efforts to date.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
    Another idea floating around facebook, tonight, suggests that unemployed vets would be a good fit.

Part of me is like, "hell, yeah!"

But, then I sarcastically think "overworked cops, old guys, and ex-jarheads that can't get a job - yeah, that's who I want protecting my kids." No disrespect to any of those guys, but, seriously, if we're going to go down this road, let's not be half-assed about it. All primary education institutions should be protected by SEALs, Delta Force, or other advanced operators.

He's fond of promoting it, and I've read it. I'm not convinced he's a loner, rather than a team, but I support his efforts to date.
    This is funny. If you've been to a club, university, community college or court you've been around what scares you.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsTagger First Class

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truthfully, you don't want a bunch of Marines guarding schools. Without digging it up to verify it - it seems like they tried having Marines ride shotgun with cops after the Rodney King riots. If I remember correctly there was one incident where a cop asked his Marine counterparts to cover him as he approached a house with a gunman and they proceeded to launch a 203 through the guy's fucking window. lol

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.militarymuseum.org/LARiots1.html

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:39pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scut Farkus View Post
    Truthfully, you don't want a bunch of Marines guarding schools.
    Truthfully, I'd take that over private school tuition.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsTagger First Class

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:43pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marines would be more appropriate to "liaise" with the Westboro folks.

Transmaniacon MC

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is funny. If you've been to a club, university, community college or court you've been around what scares you.
    This comment is beneath you. That is all.

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 11:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
    This comment is beneath you. That is all.
    No, your reading skills are beneath me.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Do you not have publication bans on certain court information already? In Canada young offenders names are protected. Also in the case of child abuse the offenders name is not published if it would identify the victim.
    We do have some restrictions, but they are *much* more limited than in the UK or Canada, due to the freedom of the press guarantee in the First Amendment to our Constitution. Adult offenders' names are available in pretty much every case, leaving aside national security cases heard by special courts. Juvenile court proceedings are sometimes public and sometimes not, largely at the discretion of the presiding judge. When they are public, the offender's name can be published, though many news media outlets won't in many cases. The link is to statements from several journalists saying what their (surprisingly varied) policies about publishing juveniles' names in connection with court cases.

http://www.journalismcenter.org/reso...rnalists-weigh

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 2:05am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, that's not all that surfaced. A police chief has suggested hiring retired cops or current officers looking for extra funds.
    Single point entry, plus a police officer does seem like the option most likely to increase safety at schools. Arming teachers seems like a bad idea. The large majority of teachers don't have anything like the training to make it prudent to expect them to win a shootout. Even with the training that they would no doubt be given, what evidence is there that having frightened amateurs attempting to join an attacker in a gun fight would make students safer?

The "arm the teachers" proponents also need to take into account that a majority of Americans choose not to own guns, and it isn't at all clear why anyone should think that teachers in general want to carry firearms. No doubt it varies a lot by region and other factors, but most of the grade school teachers near my home seem to be very anti-gun.

Further, the chance that large numbers of guns in the schools not in the control of trained, experienced professionals will lead to accidental shootings, gun thefts by students, use of the guns by teachers in confrontations with students, or other problems has to be taken into account. And as Arthur L. Kellermann (M.D., M.P.H.), et al., found in their study, "Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home," published in the Journal of Trauma 45 (1998): 263-267, in their sample set, among people who injured or killed someone with a gun that they kept in their home, 48% of the shootings were attempted or successful suicides, 30% were homicides, attempted homicides, or assaults with a deadly weapon, 18% were accidental shootings, and 4% were self-defense or justifiable homicides or attempted homicides. Now, teachers may be more responsible than the average gun owner (or may not be), but what data I can find does not encourage me that putting more guns into schools would make them any safer.

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 6:26am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    . And as Arthur L. Kellermann (M.D., M.P.H.), et al., found in their study, "Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home," published in the Journal of Trauma 45 (1998): 263-267, in their sample set, among people who injured or killed someone with a gun that they kept in their home, 48% of the shootings were attempted or successful suicides, 30% were homicides, attempted homicides, or assaults with a deadly weapon, 18% were accidental shootings, and 4% were self-defense or justifiable homicides or attempted homicides. Now, teachers may be more responsible than the average gun owner (or may not be), but what data I can find does not encourage me that putting more guns into schools would make them any safer.
    From the data you provided, it is clear that gun ownership is doing more bad than good (suicides,homicides accidents etc.) only 4%!!!!!! is doing what they were intended for...I think that if someone isn't willing to bar his windows and install a safe door, he shouldn't be able to but a gun for self defense...that is just stupid.
    Another thing, people here think that more guns on the streets can prevent killings etc. What are the actual stats about crimes being prevented by armed by passers? Is it a real claim?