Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:22pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
    Hence, my post about value systems...
    Value systems has nothing to do with it. The kids in China are not dead, because the assailant was armed with a knife not a gun. If the guy in Newtown had only a knife, he would have been tackled by some teacher before he could do nearly as much damage.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Value systems has nothing to do with it. The kids in China are not dead, because the assailant was armed with a knife not a gun. If the guy in Newtown had only a knife, he would have been tackled by some teacher before he could do nearly as much damage.
    I think your emotions are running away with you.

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:32pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
    I think your emotions are running away with you.
    Refute the argument, not whatever delusion you have about my emotional state.

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:44pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Pertinent read here:
    http://www.krusekronicle.com/kruse_k...l#.UM9asHeZPMk

Summary: It's getting safer in the US with regards to violence in general, and mass killings are on the decline as well.

Interesting paper here: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=161637
    Lot of homework for me here. I have noticed a trend that these type of murderers seem very reluctant to engage an armed enemy. Suicide seems to be the end result of resistance even when the murderer seems prepared to go out fighting.

The reality of improving safety statistics is an important part of making public policy decisions. Also, I think many see gun control as a way to stop murder. If that's the case I think anyone considering firearm restrictions need to keep the eye on the goal: reduced murder.

Does anyone know if letting a minor access a firearm unattended (even if they don't touch it, for instance unlocked on a wall) is a crime?

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Does anyone know if letting a minor access a firearm unattended (even if they don't touch it, for instance unlocked on a wall) is a crime?
    Yes, in some states.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:49pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conjecture much? There is no way to determine the following:
    a. Had the attacker in china had a gun, he would have been as effective and determined as Lanza in committing the killings.
    b. That had Lanza had a knife instead of a gun, he would have been stopped more easily.
    c. That Lanza wouldn't have just made a bunch of explosives in his basement and leveled a city block instead of going on a shooting spree, because he had no access to these firearms.

Also, more Gun control is a problem, not because of taking guns away from the average law-abiding citizen in and of itself. The problem lies in that those motivated to do such things will still find a way to get them, and the rest of us don't have any guns to stop them. Organized crime exists, has existed, and will exist, and can and will absolutely take advantage of a position where they can have high powered semi-automatic weapons that citizens cannot.

Also, I'm not comfortable living in a society where only the military and police can own and carry firearms legally. I do not trust the judgement of a few weighed against the lives of many. None of you should either. All we need do is look at history for the reason why.

Gun safety and awareness for mental health should be the primary factors argued here. I've always been taught that your guns stay in your safe unless you are carrying them. Period. And the ammunition is put in a different safe. Only the gun owner should know the combinations...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can guarantee that after all the hand wringing and whining is done, not a fucking single extra cent will be spent on mental health funding.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Refute the argument, not whatever delusion you have about my emotional state.
    You're delusional, and off on your own, here. You just argued that a Chinese teacher is less effective at disarming an armed assailant than an American one, which is about as far away from my point as can be. Talk about being on your own planet, jeez!
    Last edited by submessenger; 12/17/2012 3:00pm at . Reason: knife, not gun

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People kill people. Mass shooting are popular because it makes sense and it's on the public awareness. A group of defenseless people in a confined area. Any tactic that relates to that will always occur as long as people are motivated to kill.

One thing that bugs me about this is that some of my Facebook friends are so "shocked", what kind of monster does this? It's telling that people live in the bubble where "bad things happen to poor folks in far off lands and not where I live." Grow up, bad **** is occurring everyday. Child soldiers in Africa, Syria bombing Palestinian refugee camps, America drone strikes a village to get a terrorist.

Another point I think this brings up is that it shatters the illusion that we are "safe". You're not safe, someone can kick open the door right now and kill you. You're responsible for your own safety. You can really only rely on you. We've given that up for
    ease and comfort.

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 3:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I didn't even bother reading your entire joke. I stopped somewhere when you carry a different gun depending on what you wear. WOW you fucking James bond wanna be, you and your hillbilly attitude is exactly why your country is in a jam. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound???? Either you are a troll or you are severely damaged (possible paranoid too) I mean you are exactly the kind of people that shouldn't be looking at guns let alone own one.
    Tharuzb, have you no clue whatsoever when someone is writing **** just to get a whiny-outrage reaction out of you?

It doesn't matter how often it's been done in the past: righteous-whiny to the core, you deliver--every fucking time, right on cue.

Congratulations on your incomparable consistency. You are a credit to whatever species counts you in their number.
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast