Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 11:41pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Joz;2748458]As for aggressive players I'd suggest Ryoko Tamura Tani [video=youtube;[/QUOTE]

Joz, I am by no means any good at judo, but the second video is not a good example of aggressive attacks. There were four penalties for passivity before a couple of wazari.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/26/2012 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    The counter cancer does seem to set in around Orange belt. You then meet green and blue belts who proudly announce themselves as 'counter fighters', they never make dan grade and drop out of the sport a few months or years later.

The cause of counter cancer is instructors teaching counters to people below blue/ brown belt.

These beginners then spend their randoris stiff arming until the other attempts an attack, then they wrap themselves around them and drag them to the floor in an ugly heap. Thus the 'counter fighter' is born.

If you ever want to be good at Judo, ban yourself from doing counters, drops and makikomi until you have your dan grade.

Concentrate on pro-actively throwing with upright positive techniques, you can thank me when you've got your dan grade and aren't some Judo tard who's an embarrasment to the grade.
    Damned straight ! Teaching counters to beginners/novices is a bad thing to do. The solid base of fundamentals and attacking Judo need to be well set before heading off into kaeshi waza.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 10:44am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so.... no tani otoshis until I'm a black belt. Hmmm... not sure I like this, but it is a valid point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thp View Post
    so.... no tani otoshis until I'm a black belt. Hmmm... not sure I like this, but it is a valid point.
    About a year and a half into judo I was doing a bunch of tani otoshi, it worked because my partners had not developed great offensive technique yet, well eventually they did develop better offensive technique and my tani otoshi opportunities showed up less and less. Moral of the story, they improved while I did not, stick to J_UK and BKRs advice and you will advance faster.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear ya. Even though I have been instructed from the very beginning that "there is no winning in randori" I still have to check myself mentally against this attitude.

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 4:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear ya. Even though I have been instructed from the very beginning that "there is no winning in randori" I still have to check myself mentally against this attitude.
    I was the same, even with great coaches giving me the correct advice I still had to go down the wrong road first, before I sorted myself out and went down the right route.

You just have to be disciplined with yourself and endure the crushing frustration of not 'winning' in randori.

Let's be honest as blokes we're all competitive we all want to win and it does break your balls to lose to someone, because you're trying to do good technique and they're just trying to win.

But as everyone keeps saying tough it out and you'll reap the rewards in the long term.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 4:34pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Judoka uk,

Please post more on your blog. It is very helpful.

Thanks,

A regular reader

*Thread hi-jack over.

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 6:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, not at all. Assuming you are an adult, probably by sankyu (green belt or brown belt).

Sooner depending on the level of your overall judo development and control.

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 6:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To everyone: Counter throws and especially sutemi waza type counter throws require a lot of coordination and control to do correctly and not injure uke and/or tori. Against inexperienced judoka, another inexperienced judoka who learns counter throws early will "win" a lot in randori and in win in shiai for sure. I've seen that with my own eyes time and time again.

It's akin to teaching and drilling little kids to do Seoi Otoshi (aka "Drop Seoi nage) and then sending them to shiai. What happens is they win a lot. Some will continue to win because they get so good at it, but eventually it stunts their overall Judo. It just gets too easy to fall down to throw.

I know this from personal experience as well. I had my right knee blown out after a couple of years of Judo. Due to my stature and proportions, I was getting very good at low/squatting type seoi nage, and to a certain degree Tai Otoshi. Add in a natural quickness and I was pretty much devastating guys with a lot more experience in local/state level shiai. After my knee got blown, I could no longer go so low/squat without my knee popping out, so I started doing Seoi Otoshi (on knees/one knee). I got damned good at it too. After I had knee surgury ( like, 4-5 years after the initial injury), I simply could not go back to low but still standing seoi nage in shiai. My whole nervous system was keyed to drop. To this day, I have the same tendency. My standing seoi (most varieties) are quite nice,but in shiai I still drop.

The same is true for sutemi (sacrifice) waza. It's a LOT easier to fall down on your side/back on a sutemi attempt than to do a forward/rear throw. And against other beginners/novices, it is pretty safe to do. Little worries for getting countered.

Sutemi waza require tsurikomi action as do the standard forward/backward throws. See judoka_UK's blog or posts here on Bullshido for details. So if your tsurikomi sucks, your sutemi waza and or counters are going to suck as well.

Ben
    Last edited by BKR; 12/28/2012 6:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2013 7:45am

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your teacher probably just means you are waiting for people to attack so you can counter them instead of attacking and risking being countered yourself. It means you won't learn as fast.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast