You people are committed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 2:20am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tershul View Post
    Most of my experience with leg grabs has been being slammed down after poor attempts at ashi-waza on my part. Is this the poor anti judo the IJF is trying to put an end to? After reading the no more leg grabs under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER rule, I've actually been sitting around just being angry. Is this what it feels like doing judo for any extended period of time?

The leg rule makes me angry too. I hope this tightening gets dropped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 2:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    You people are committed.

these changes to the rules have a huge impact on how the sport is practiced on a day to day basis... so yes, committed. They make a big difference.

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 9:29am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    For example, the total ban on any touching below the waist with hands I think is probably an experiment.
    Ben, I asked this on judoinfo and didn't get a satisfactory answer - has anyone confirmed that the counter-attack and follow-up attack exceptions are gone too? Because the IJF wording is not clear at all, and their explanation as I said before seems to indicate that this is intended to remove the exception for Russian grip.

My sensei was wondering if this would also prevent people from blocking at the hip level, ie someone spins in for seionage and you put a hand on their hip to stop it. We always used to interpret it as contact with the leg, is that extended?

IJF has more 'splainin' to do.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't like the gripping and leg attack rules, but i'm OK with the others. we will see how this pans out, but it doesn't look good to me.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    The IJF has some repealing to do... at least when it comes to leg attacks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ben, I asked this on judoinfo and didn't get a satisfactory answer - has anyone confirmed that the counter-attack and follow-up attack exceptions are gone too? Because the IJF wording is not clear at all, and their explanation as I said before seems to indicate that this is intended to remove the exception for Russian grip.

My sensei was wondering if this would also prevent people from blocking at the hip level, ie someone spins in for seionage and you put a hand on their hip to stop it. We always used to interpret it as contact with the leg, is that extended?

Neil the current IJF rule is you can not block the hip if your hand is below the belt. If any part of the hand ie. one finger touching the belt it is leagal.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 2:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

f

Neil, I really don't know. Hence my comments about seeing how the new "rules" end up being interpreted and implemented. At this point, I'm not worrying about them too much. I mentioned to my yudansha students about the possibility of the two handed grip break being gone, but, we do not know exactly what that means.

Their experience is that cutting the lapel with both hands isn't that common, at least in BC. Removing a solid lapel grip is tough and exposes you to a lot of potential attacks.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    Neil the current IJF rule is you can not block the hip if your hand is below the belt. If any part of the hand ie. one finger touching the belt it is leagal.
    I don't even teach that type of block, and haven't for a long time. Taking a hand off like that to block is dangerous, other than to rip out the sleeve on a hip block. Most competent attacks are way too fast and strong to use the hand on hip block, at least in my experience.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 9:06am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rules against grip fighting are good ones. Not only it is boring to watch from a common Joe viewpoint but it is also useless for self defense purposes as I would get hit on the face hard if I ever tried to grip fight so it is also good for the martial aspect of the art.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast