Professor of Chaos

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/26/2004 4:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When Randleman nailed him with that left hook, my jaw dropped open and I didn't breathe until the ref pulled him off of Crocop. You can also color me seriously impressed by Fedor's performance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2004 8:32pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me or randleman hit mirko´s throat when they were on the floor? Well, I guess throat strikes works only outside teh r1ng.

no but seriously, what a knockdown that was, this randleman dude rules. In mma.tv portuguese section, they were really happy Mirko lost, apparently they dislike his arrogance

Seeker of Truth

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/27/2004 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naoya Ogawa def. Stefan Leko - Submission (Choke) 1:34 rd 1

It's been a while since I've seen as pure a style vs. style match. As usual, the grappler was able to force the striker to fight his fight. Hopefully a wake-up to Leko that, if he wants to be competitive in MMA, he'd better work his grappling a bit more.
    What are you talking about? Leko slipped and fell down. It was a freak thing, Ogawa didn't "force" him to do anything. Yes once it was on the ground Leko couldn't do much against a Judo silver medalist that was bigger than him, but who could? That fight showed nothing about Leko MMA ability. I've notice recently that barefoot fighters seem to slip and slide a lot on Pride's mat.

Sergei Kharitonov def. Murilo Rua - KO (Strikes) 4:14 rd 1

Probably the second biggest upset for some, but Sergei Kharitonov came out strong and hungry. His body punches seemed to quickly wear down Rua and his grappling skills allowed him to keep setting the pace and fighting his fight. Tonight was Kharitonov's coming out party.
    Ninja looked like a shadow of his normal self, a big shadow. He was obiviously out of shape and hampered by the weight he had to put on to enter the tournament. I think he would have done better if he never gained the weight in the first place, but then they probably wouldn't let him in.

I was also impressed by Coleman. I know the fight was short, but I really think even if he can't be champion again Coleman could be a force in Pride if he wanted to. He's old and probably wouldn't want the role, but I think he would be a great "gatekeeper" in Pride, marking the line between the good and the truly great.

Dirty Red

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved the GP. It was full of upsets. I lost all my pics and inturn wound up very drunk because of those losses. I like how the night showed how anything can happen at that level.
    A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 10:27am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher, I'm POSITIVE that Ogawa's takedown ability is MUCH better than his groundskills. He's a sport judoka. I highly doubt that Leko would've been able to not get taken down.

Fedor's armbar was fucking SLICK. That was the fastest armbar I've seen at that weight (though admittedly, I haven't seen the most MMA).

I was VERY impressed with Yokoi. He was doing very well until he gassed and got lazy and got arm triangled. He should lose like 10 pounds fat and then cut to make weight for LHW. He'd be tough as hell.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Professor of Chaos

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 10:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    What are you talking about? Leko slipped and fell down. It was a freak thing, Ogawa didn't "force" him to do anything.
    Ogawa forced him to stay on the ground.

Originally posted by Punisher Yes once it was on the ground Leko couldn't do much against a Judo silver medalist that was bigger than him, but who could? That fight showed nothing about Leko MMA ability. I've notice recently that barefoot fighters seem to slip and slide a lot on Pride's mat.
    [/B]
    I'm sorry, Punisher, I didn't realize he was a friend of yours ;)

Seriously, I thought the fight clearly showed the Leko needs to work on his ground game (eg. Learn how to get back up) if he wants to be competitive. How can you honestly think otherwise?

Pride's mat slippery mats aren't going to doom barefoot strikers to the clutches of evil grapplers like some sort of horserace handicap. That's just silly.

Marasmos

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, the fight DID show the Leko is completely unprepared for MMA. I couldn't keep the fight standing (the man fell on his own for chrissake) and couldn't do anoything on the ground.

No groundgame + can't keep standing = bad mma skills.
    You say what about my rice?

Seeker of Truth

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher, I'm POSITIVE that Ogawa's takedown ability is MUCH better than his groundskills. He's a sport judoka. I highly doubt that Leko would've been able to not get taken down.
    The problem is we never got to see. If Ogawa clinched, threw, and submitted Leko I wouldn't be coming to his defense. Likewise if Ogawa slipped,dropped his hands to catch he balance, and got KO'd by a kick to the head I wouldn't be staying Leko's striking skills were superior to Ogawa's grappling.

Seriously, I thought the fight clearly showed the Leko needs to work on his ground game (eg. Learn how to get back up) if he wants to be competitive. How can you honestly think otherwise?
    Sure he needs to work on his ground game, but like I said, almost anyone would be in serious trouble in that position. Leko is never going to be as good a Ogawa on the ground and knew if it ended up there he would surely lose. I'm sure his plan was to follow the Cro-Cop sprawl and brawl model. He likely spent a signifcant amount of time working on how not to be taken down and didn't except he'd fall down for no reason 20 seconds into the fight.

Pride's mat slippery mats aren't going to doom barefoot strikers to the clutches of evil grapplers like some sort of horserace handicap. That's just silly.
    I never said that either. I said I noticed barefoot fighters, meaning both strikers and grapplers, slip and slide a lot on the Pride mat. I really feel it could have happened to anyone, and when it happened to Leko it robbed us of a true MMA fight.

Stuff happens in MMA. Sometimes the better fighter makes a mistake and loses. This wasn't CroCop vs. Randelman. This was more like Vitor vs. Randy, where a freak occurance happens that leaves what would have happened otherwise in question. Personally I think Ogawa probaly would have won anyway, possibly quite easily, but we never got to see how good Leko's takedown defense was or how soild Ogawa's chin was.

Professor of Chaos

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, both Crocop and Liddell, two of the more successful strikers, have trained extensively in being able to implement their striking game, which means being able to get back up (I'd rank Randy Couture as at least as good a grappler as Ogawa -- and he couldn't hold Liddell down). If Ogawa had taken it on the chin, I'd be saying he needs to learn to defend against strikes, whether he slipped or no. Hell, if you slip I say you better be better balanced!

Bottom line: Leko didn't implement ANY game plan, based on his first MMA showing. I'm sure my opinion may change as he gets more experience, but we work with what we've gotten. As such, you're "What are you talking about?" question from your first post in this thread should be well and duly answered.

Motorboatin SOB

Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He got knocked down with a punch.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast