223781 Bullies, 3399 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 139
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,226

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 12:31pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    SonofRex actually makes a distinction between the training he claims Larry received under Rickson Gracie and the training he received under Hanshi Wilcox in one of his later posts. This is one of the reasons I inquired about it.

    I would invite anyone that has questions for me to make a new thread where I would gladly answer any questions regarding my credibility, so as not to further derail this thread.
    Yes, and that's why you quote people.

    His actual statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    No, like myself, my coach has only trained with Pedro Saure at seminars. My coach is a student of Rickson Gracie. I don't know what his belt ranking in BJJ is (if any), But I do know that he holds a black belt in traditional Jujitsu under Hanshi Carl Wilcox. He holds rankings in other grappling arts as well (Dumog, Silat) and started out in wrestling (State Champion) in his younger years. What we learn in his classes is a mixture of styles, but he always tells us where he learned a particular drill or technique, He most often credits Rickson Gracie when we are grappling.
    says he(SoR) doesn't know if Rice holds ANY BJJ rank.
  2. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,733

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 2:07pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

    7
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    You don't seem to be able to see the forest through the trees. That claim did come from a third party, a student who said they trained under Larry for over 2 years. Seems to me like they should be able to give an accurate description of what Larry offers at his school. That student was also defending Larry, so I don't see him having a reason to lie. I also was not trying to imply it states anywhere on his website or that it came directly from Larry that he teaches BJJ.
    This is why you should lurk more and post less. Why would a student say something wrong about a teacher on Bullshido?

    1. he is an idiot teen and might just say any dumb **** that happens to pop into his head

    2. he could be a passive-aggressive idiot looking to stir up some drama

    3. he could have a drastic misunderstanding of his teacher's abilities thanks to hero worship or father-figuring

    4. he could have misunderstood something the teacher told him

    5. he could have had a recent falling out with his instructor and is looking to get him in trouble

    6. he could be purposefully misidentifying himself as a student for reasons 1, 2, and 5.


    One need not be lying to tell a non-truth. One can also have reasons to lie that don't reflect on the instructor. It's not uncommon around here for some new poster to roll in, take some ribbing, and respond by trying to sign up his teacher for some challenge matches. Those kids aren't lying; they're just stupid and don't realize that going to the local ballet school and doing a karate dance-off twice weekly doesn't mean they get to invite "all comers" down to the dojo.


    People too often associate an "investigation" with being a negative when it is in fact nothing more than questions being raised for the sake of knowing.
    An investigation is negative. The reason MABS is public, for example, is to float the thread to the top of Google searches. If the conclusion is on page 200...well, how many people are going to read the whole thing? You could have easily just called Mr. Rice, asked him the questions, and reported his answers in a single post on your old thread if you just wanted to know.

    These type of things can not progress properly when people do not look at them from a completely unbiased point of view.
    This should be moved to YMAS. This isn't about Rice; this is you hunting for e-reputation on this site.
  3. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,596

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I've trained with Master Chai. I've never heard him discuss anything about belts. This made me wonder. Now this could just be an interpretation of this third party. I've had this done to me several times.
    I wondered about what of this could be a misinterpretation from the person who runs Larry's site. I'm pretty sure SoR and/or Larry's wife manage his site, so this is a real possibility and I hope that's the case.
  4. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,964

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:25pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    This is why you should lurk more and post less. Why would a student say something wrong about a teacher on Bullshido?

    1. he is an idiot teen and might just say any dumb **** that happens to pop into his head

    2. he could be a passive-aggressive idiot looking to stir up some drama

    3. he could have a drastic misunderstanding of his teacher's abilities thanks to hero worship or father-figuring

    4. he could have misunderstood something the teacher told him

    5. he could have had a recent falling out with his instructor and is looking to get him in trouble

    6. he could be purposefully misidentifying himself as a student for reasons 1, 2, and 5.


    One need not be lying to tell a non-truth. One can also have reasons to lie that don't reflect on the instructor. It's not uncommon around here for some new poster to roll in, take some ribbing, and respond by trying to sign up his teacher for some challenge matches. Those kids aren't lying; they're just stupid and don't realize that going to the local ballet school and doing a karate dance-off twice weekly doesn't mean they get to invite "all comers" down to the dojo.




    An investigation is negative. The reason MABS is public, for example, is to float the thread to the top of Google searches. If the conclusion is on page 200...well, how many people are going to read the whole thing? You could have easily just called Mr. Rice, asked him the questions, and reported his answers in a single post on your old thread if you just wanted to know.



    This should be moved to YMAS. This isn't about Rice; this is you hunting for e-reputation on this site.

    Dude, I did not read this whole thing but it's comments like this that prevent people from wanting to run an investigation. I don't see investigations as a bad thing. I think every legitimate instructor should welcome an investigation. It's good for advertisement.
  5. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,226

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:25pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    This is why you should lurk more and post less.
    You could have easily just called Mr. Rice, asked him the questions, and reported his answers in a single post on your old thread if you just wanted to know.

    This should be moved to YMAS. This isn't about Rice; this is you hunting for e-reputation on this site.
    I agree.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,955

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:29pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Dude, I did not read this whole thing but it's comments like this that prevent people from wanting to run an investigation. I don't see investigations as a bad thing. I think every legitimate instructor should welcome an investigation. It's good for advertisement.
    Well, us three will disagree. It t is poorly set up OPs that have led to people commenting like Rivington. We have a proper link that explains how to set up a good OP and people rarely follow the instructions.

    It is 80% of the reason I became a hard-ass in MABS. I'd rather have timid posters do it right, than go back to what it was before JC and Tom started cleaning it out in 08.
  7. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,226

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:40pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is an extensive bio right here:

    http://www.mountainmartialartsacademy.com/?page_id=41

    No mention of BJJ that i can see.
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,964

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:43pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well, us three will disagree. It t is poorly set up OPs that have led to people commenting like Rivington. We have a proper link that explains how to set up a good OP and people rarely follow the instructions.

    It is 80% of the reason I became a hard-ass in MABS. I'd rather have timid posters do it right, than go back to what it was before JC and Tom started cleaning it out in 08.
    Jesus Christ?

    Yeah, a link I've never followed. I never really got into investigations because you anal retentive fucks.
  9. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,596

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:46pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Yes, and that's why you quote people.

    His actual statement:


    says he(SoR) doesn't know if Rice holds ANY BJJ rank.
    I never said SoR said Larry claimed rank, only that I felt it was implied Larry instructs them in BJJ. Either way, it's a simple question that I was curious about. Keep in mind that whole dispute was a mess where information repeatedly became misconstrued by many people.

    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    No, like myself, my coach has only trained with Pedro Saure at seminars. My coach is a student of Rickson Gracie. I don't know what his belt ranking in BJJ is (if any), But I do know that he holds a black belt in traditional Jujitsu under Hanshi Carl Wilcox. He holds rankings in other grappling arts as well (Dumog, Silat) and started out in wrestling (State Champion) in his younger years. What we learn in his classes is a mixture of styles, but he always tells us where he learned a particular drill or technique, He most often credits Rickson Gracie when we are grappling.
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,955

    Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:48pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MABS my bad..
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/13/2012 4:59pm at .
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.