221942 Bullies, 4146 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 55
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. AKRhino is offline
    AKRhino's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    544

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 1:25pm


     Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting responses to this thread. I myself, cannot imagine, were I in the position of having a child of similar abilities, NOT allowing my kid to do this, if it's something he wanted to try. You all telling me if you had a kid with those abilities asking to try, and telling you he wants to try wrestling, and you'd look him in the eyes and say "sorry, you can't do that, you're not able to do that." Do you punish your able bodied children if they don't win the little league game too? At the age of 12 some schools don't even let sports teams win or lose (which is admittedly ridiculous).

    It doesn't seem set up to me as a Hallmark moment. The Dad said in the article his son just wants to do what other kids are doing, so they got him involved, and recorded his match, like any parent would record of photo their kids, then he put on FB and it took off from there (this is the internet, that's how these things work). I have to imagine I'd encourage this kind of thing myself, especially something with a team atmosphere as I can only imagine the kid doesn't often get opportunities to experience something like that.
  2. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    969

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 3:10pm


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very weird responses, mostly. I feel like the time I'd spend on long replies can be spent in a better way, which is what I'll do. Guess I have a different view on this.
  3. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    969

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 3:12pm


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

    To Tom and Azatdawn, you realize you are arguing two different points?
    Yeah, which is why I've decided that instead of getting really emotional over something I actually care about I'll just move on. So yeah.
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,774

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 3:16pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Very weird responses, mostly. I feel like the time I'd spend on long replies can be spent in a better way, which is what I'll do. Guess I have a different view on this.
    No weirder than the slant everyone is throwing on their side. I like these debates because no one explains their position, they preach weird scenarios that make them right.

    Right now, I think everyone has a good point while ignoring the other side. Maybe it has to do with working with people in this situation and noticing the WEIRD hypocrisy, that really isn't hypocritical, that happens.
  5. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,564

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 4:01pm

    supporting member
     

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    Interesting responses to this thread. I myself, cannot imagine, were I in the position of having a child of similar abilities, NOT allowing my kid to do this, if it's something he wanted to try. You all telling me if you had a kid with those abilities asking to try, and telling you he wants to try wrestling, and you'd look him in the eyes and say "sorry, you can't do that, you're not able to do that." Do you punish your able bodied children if they don't win the little league game too? At the age of 12 some schools don't even let sports teams win or lose (which is admittedly ridiculous).

    It doesn't seem set up to me as a Hallmark moment. The Dad said in the article his son just wants to do what other kids are doing, so they got him involved, and recorded his match, like any parent would record of photo their kids, then he put on FB and it took off from there (this is the internet, that's how these things work). I have to imagine I'd encourage this kind of thing myself, especially something with a team atmosphere as I can only imagine the kid doesn't often get opportunities to experience something like that.
    The kid didn't get to "try" wrestling. He was carried out onto a mat in front of a bunch of people and another boy pretended he lost a match to a grappling dummy. If he tried wrestling he'd get murdered. He can't be a wrestler, ever. Period. As some have pointed out, it would be much more reasonable to expose him to the sport in a private setting if he was really interested.

    Parents of disabled or able bodied kids should encourage them without putting them into impossible situations or making a mockery of them. Abandoning reality in an effort to satisfy your child or make yourself feel better is not good parenting.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,774

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 4:10pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Yeah, which is why I've decided that instead of getting really emotional over something I actually care about I'll just move on. So yeah.
    LOL@YOU. Yes, I see hypocrisy at times, not my fault you have blinders on. There are many things "I actually care about" that contain a form of weird hypocrisy.

    Show me where someone said he shouldn't wrestle, he should be confined to his lot in life and that HE WAS AN ASSHOLE for trying. I see a bunch of **** given to the adults for creating a spectacle. I don't fully agree, but I can see and understand that argument.

    What I saw was people QUESTION the motivation, say the wouldn't let THEIR kid lose and not allow their kid to participate in this type of match. That is completely different than using the Special Olympics, where EVERYONE would be bitching if Usain Bolt entered, as a crutch to compare two different situations.
  7. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,530

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 4:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the kid wanted to do this then fine, he's been dealt a crappy hand and it makes others feel good about helping him. 13 year olds are well aware when they're being patronized and put on display though, and they hate it. In his place, I'd feel closer to Devil's opinion: that this is not a wrestling match and I'm being made into a charity display. But that's just me and if this kid got something out of it, great for everyone.

    Also, h...wait a minute, let me look something up...

    OMG, it turns out that WRESTLING may sometimes be STAGED!!!
  8. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    969

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 5:01pm


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    LOL@YOU. Yes, I see hypocrisy at times, not my fault you have blinders on. There are many things "I actually care about" that contain a form of weird hypocrisy.

    Show me where someone said he shouldn't wrestle, he should be confined to his lot in life and that HE WAS AN ASSHOLE for trying. I see a bunch of **** given to the adults for creating a spectacle. I don't fully agree, but I can see and understand that argument.

    What I saw was people QUESTION the motivation, say the wouldn't let THEIR kid lose and not allow their kid to participate in this type of match. That is completely different than using the Special Olympics, where EVERYONE would be bitching if Usain Bolt entered, as a crutch to compare two different situations.
    Alright, since I wasn't clear before, let me just say this: I understand what everyone is saying and where they're coming from. Yes, my "weird replies" comment was a little... pointless.

    Right now, I just believe that making a big argument out of this won't do much. I disagree with some people on this and vice versa. That's alright. I don't think there's much to be argued. Different views on this. Fine with me.

    I might feel like explaining myself a little better tomorrow sans whiskey. Don't count on it, though (because I'm sure many people will care).
  9. patfromlogan is offline
    patfromlogan's Avatar

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hilo Island of Hawaii
    Posts
    8,850

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 5:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

    6
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My $.02 comes from Kurt, a tough Okie LEO (last job was children's sex slavery Judge's task force for Northern CO) rancher / camp director. He used his high country spread for handicapped kids for decades, until insurance and labor got too much. We use his place for http://mountainfriendscamp.org/. Kurt talked to me one night about getting hadicapped kids on horses, canoes, river rafting, and even water skiing. He said the payoff was seeing the kid's lives change from one good experience and knowing that he'd made a big difference. Who cares if it's not "real" water skiing and that the kid is propped up on a sled?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
  10. Mr. Machette is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,714

    Posted On:
    12/07/2012 5:17pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dang. Y'all are some heartless mofos saying this kid can't participate.

    Hasn't he gotten enough of a raw deal in life? Y'all want to take away some exibition fun and a great opportunity for the other kid to show some real heart?

    Yeah, I said it. The boy who rolled with him just showed a great deal of compassion and sportsmanship. He knew it wasn't a "competition". He saw it for what it was. A brief chance for the CP kid to experience normality. Just for a couple of seconds. The kid can't wrestle. He'll never get to be a wrestler. This short exibition roll was a way to include him in something that nature litteraly cheated him out of.

    Y'all are some messed up, social darwinist Nazis if you really think this shouldn't have happened. It was big karma points for the healthy boy and a unique positive experience for the crippled boy.

    That's all that needs to be taken away from this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.