Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/07/2012 2:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mila the Beluga whale saves diver

The amazing moment Mila the Beluga whale saved a stricken diver's life by pushing her to the surface

It looks like a moment of terror - a diver finds her leg clamped in the jaws of a beluga whale. In fact, it was a stunning example of an animal coming to the rescue of a human life.

Yang Yun, 26, was taking part in a free diving contest without breathing equipment among the whales in a tank of water more than 20ft deep and chilled to Arctic temperatures.

She says that when she tried to return to the surface, she found her legs crippled by cramp from the freezing cold. At that point Mila the beluga took a hand, or rather a flipper.

Reliving the drama, Yang Yun said: 'I began to choke and sank even lower and I thought that was it for me - I was dead.

'Until I felt this incredible force under me driving me to the surface.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-surface.html

Movie please!
    Last edited by PizDoff; 12/07/2012 2:10am at .
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

They don't think it be how it is, but it do

Posted On:
    3/06/2015 12:52am

supporting member
     Style: lol yet again more Judo !

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What an awesome Beluga Whale Buddy {tm}.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2015 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very clever animals..shouldn't be living in an aquarium though.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2015 12:54pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yang Yun, 26, was taking part in a free diving contest without breathing equipment among the whales in a tank of water more than 20ft deep and chilled to Arctic temperatures.

Am I the only one thinking that this was pretty stupid contest? That it was even more stupid that rescue team wasn't close at hand monitoring what's happening to divers? Is this some sort of reality show with good green prize or fake news? :-O

If it's nothing but the truth - Tips the hat to the whale for being the only intelligent being around and feels for the diver for being desperate enough to try something like that.

Posted On:
    3/15/2015 1:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite whale-human interaction video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D47wdwwYo94

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2015 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's the direction you're turning for I strongly suggest In the heart of the sea (movie based on a true story) and Blackfish (documentary). It should satisfy all your daily cravings for whales, misery, death and suffering and make you think.

I'm in sarcasm/cynicism/misantrophy mode in case anyone wonders :-)

Posted On:
    3/15/2015 2:20pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 2400 miles from the nearest land mass; watching the ocean and its wildlife handing people lessons is a clichéd pastime here.
    People are stupid.
    If one thinks jumping into the ocean, miles from shore, with a one ton+ wild predator is a good idea, well I'll just enjoy the end results immensely.
    Real life > movies.

I'm eagerly awaiting someone getting mauled by a monk seal.
    Tourists always walk right up to them to take pictures when they're hauled out somewhere.
    Getting fined for harassing wildlife after getting face chewed would just be icing on the cake.
    Hell, I'll call the marine mammal hotline before 911.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2015 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With that I can wholeheartedly agree, bothering predators or wild animals who can finish you easily (monkeys, stags,...) is stupid though I don't want to see anyone mauled. I got the wrong impression - posts, net, mood. Are you a marine biologist by chance or out for some fishing for fun or profession?
    I must say that sadly knowing little of the species as we don't have these guys anywhere near I'm falling into a category of people who would walk straight to a monk seal taking it for something completely harmless based on appearance, lack of knowledge and media projection :-/.

I must also say that I would immensely love to scuba with hunchback whales (I'd absolutely try and not get too close to them, especially young ones) or whale sharks though and I envy people who saw white whales, humpbacks or sperm-whales from boat or chopper. I'm just fascinated by their mind boggling size and would love to experience the live comparison preferably in their environment (and not with a predatory species) Though what is too close might be problematic since a grown brown bear views 50 meter parameter as his personal space. How much space a whale needs, I have no idea.

Is there a place in the world you can do swimming with whales under supervision or is it just too damn dangerous and wrong to bother them and therefore reserved just for an occasional TV crew?

Whale sharks sometimes visit our coast line so seeing them might actually be possible with a lot of good luck.
    There are numerous images of people grabbing their back fin and this looks immensely fun (although the shark probably gets immensely annoyed). Did I get a wrong impression about them or are they really safe to hitch a ride from and swim close to?
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 3/15/2015 3:32pm at .

Posted On:
    3/15/2015 4:25pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Hawaii (thus the distance) and did study marine biology, but that was a lifetime ago.

It might be more useful to think of a seal as a smallish sea going bear or giant ocean dog.
    Would you go up to a sleeping 500 lb bear/dog and put your face next to it's head for a selfie?
    Would you still do it if there was a sign saying it's illegal and dangerous?
    Ive seen that a few times.
    People are idiots,

Approaching large animals in the wild is foolhardy.

Approaching humpbacks is illegal here and they generally have right of way over vessels.
    They are readily visible from certain points on our coastline right now.
    Tours, particularly on Maui can get you pretty close.
    Ive had a female and calf swim close by (~20-30m away) while in the water.
    That's close enough for me.

Whale sharks seem pretty mellow but consequences aren't forgiving with that much mass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2015 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I expected you to say all that - it's logical enough, just that whales have right of way over a vessel in Hawaii was a bit of a surprise :-).

Seeing a sign or someone explaining what is dangerous/allowed and what is not worked for me every time. I'm not a big fan of paying fines and getting myself into mortal danger.

'Whale sharks seem pretty mellow but consequences aren't forgiving with that much mass.'

Well, another dream shattered, but again totally noted :-).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast