Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2012 5:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How long to sit out with bruised ribs

Two weeks ago, a black belt accidentally fucked up my ribs when he fell on me going for uchi mata in randori.

I have been training uchikomis but ne waza is def. out for now. Anyway, I was working on some turn-overs with a partner but it just seems to piss off the ribs. Same with ne waza.

I don't want to take time off but it seems I'll have to. How long do you suggest from your experience? Also, how long should I ease back in for?

Thanks.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/06/2012 6:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first and official answer is to consult your physician.

Assuming (s)he gives you the all-clear, it's really going to be up to your tolerance and ability to operate in spite of the pain. Keep in mind that favoring an injury can potentially lead to bad habits and weaknesses.

I had a similar injury, last year, and I had little problem during instruction, but free-rolling was right out, for several weeks (I think it took 4 or 5 weeks before I was ready to roll, again). I was 37, at the time, ymmv.

During my time off, I often attended class, but just sat on the sidelines and watched.

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 11:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey faixabranca, I guess this is all ok by now? I bet it was a frustrating few weeks of rest, but that timeframe pretty much does the trick. It seems longer than it is when you are in the middle of scaling up your training...

I had a similar injury and found I could still train around the rib injury with specific strength & agility routines, just needed to avoid sparring and getting hit there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 2:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kick-butt View Post
    Hey faixabranca, I gues[WIKI][/WIKI]s this is all ok by now? I bet it was a frustrating few weeks of rest, but that timeframe pretty much does the trick. It seems longer than it is when you are in the middle of scaling up your training...

I had a similar injury and found I could still train around the rib injury with specific strength & agility routines, just needed to avoid sparring and getting hit there.
    Yes, my ribs are fine now. I had x-rays done and there was nothing serious.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rib injuries are such a bitch. I've had bruised ribs twice this year and they put me out of rolling or sparring for 2-3 weeks or more at a time.

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding this ****? If I do some more lifting/pushups and build a layer of muscle over them will that help?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 10:43pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

How long to sit out with bruised ribs

Never bruised ribs, but have popped the cartilage between them while rolling when I twisted somehow. Put me out of sparring for 3-4 weeks. Lots of rest and waiting it out was all that worked for me.