Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/07/2012 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have any of you tried high strength fishing line instead of floss?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2012 1:52pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Ming Loyalist;2745313]have any of you tried high strength fishing line instead of floss?[QUOTE]

One of my training partners swears by fishing line.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/07/2012 5:17pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    have any of you tried high strength fishing line instead of floss?
    Does not stand up to repeated washing when using bleach in my experience. I use a modest amount of bleach about every third time I wash one of my gi, and the fishing line broke down in two months doing this.

I noticed the line was yellowed when I examined it after it ripped. Rather unscientifically, I decided that was most likely due to the bleach since my gi spend virtually no time being exposed to sunlight.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    12/07/2012 6:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

I noticed the line was yellowed when I examined it after it ripped. Rather unscientifically, I decided that was most likely due to the bleach since my gi spend virtually no time being exposed to sunlight.
    Based on the years old fishing line i find at the beach i'd say you are correct.

Also, floss is cheap and widely available.

Posted On:
    12/07/2012 8:53pm

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Does not stand up to repeated washing when using bleach in my experience. I use a modest amount of bleach about every third time I wash one of my gi, and the fishing line broke down in two months doing this.

Sounds like monofilament. You could try one of the superbraids, which are more or less Kevlar, definitely impervious to sun, one of the main reasons I use it extensively. It's expensive for fishing line, but at, say, $15/150 yards, it's probably cheaper than floss in the long run. Of course, you wouldn't use 150 yards in ten lifetimes, and most of us have floss laying about anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    12/08/2012 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris "Kneebar" Kringle View Post
    Sounds like monofilament. You could try one of the superbraids, which are more or less Kevlar, definitely impervious to sun, one of the main reasons I use it extensively. It's expensive for fishing line, but at, say, $15/150 yards, it's probably cheaper than floss in the long run. Of course, you wouldn't use 150 yards in ten lifetimes, and most of us have floss laying about anyway.
    Floss is like $1-2 for over 50 yds.
    Kevlar is yellow.

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 12:00pm

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Floss is like $1-2 for over 50 yds.
    Kevlar is yellow.
    Fair enough. You can get superbraid in white, but I doubt there's be any advantage any way, unless you really need 300# breaking strength on your crotch repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12