Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/10/2012 2:20pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going over the data, the general trend is:

"If you have low poverty AND low urbanization, you are likely to have low murder rates."

individually, low poverty or low urbanization are not that strongly correlated, but when both are present, it almost always means low murder rate.

That seems to be a big part of it, anyway.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/13/2012 4:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting this. I haven't had time to crunch the numbers, but doesn't it look as if the US has more murders just from people killing each other with their bare hands than many other countries in our peer group's overall murder rate?
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 1:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 3:26pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Was one if the teacher's son. This story is going to be bad.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2012 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think It's a good idea to make guns harder to get. If you make people jump through hoops and wait a month or two for their license, it tends to reduce the number of people who commit suicide - the one statistic in Australia that actually changed significantly after the new laws came into effect in the mid-90s. No other crime statistics changed as far as I know. We haven't had any mass shootings since then either, but it's hard to draw a strong correlation with something that happens so rarely. It is extremely difficult to get something like an assault rifle here.

I think it would be a good idea for you to get stats from other western developed nations for comparison. If you're correct, shouldn't you be able to show a trend that strict gun control doesn't necessarily affect the overall homicide rate? I'd be interested to know.

Now, I have a question - if terrorism kills very few people in the USA every year, does that mean you shouldn't do anything about it? It'd save a lot of money.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/15/2012 10:29am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Firearm and crime stats from the FBI.

The problem with comparing to other countries is isolating the variables. America is 85 in murders, globally, but that had nothing to do with firearms when compared to a central African republic or a south american drug hub.

Britain's has far fewer murders, but 4 times the violent crime rate of the US. It would take a university staff to slog through it all. It might be a worthwhile project for bullshido though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2012 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, with all the time people spend debating this, it's crazy that someone hasn't tried to do it already. I think the history of a country and how it evolved culturally is probably very important too.

We also have a lower homicide rate than the US I think, but higher violent crime from what I recall. More fights, assaults and so on. Would look it up, but couldn't be bothered right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 8:56am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swollen Elf Goon View Post
    Poverty rates, by state in 2010...

Rank State Poverty Rate People in Poverty
    (by Household Income) by Household Income
    (in thousands)
    - United States 12.60% 45,950
    1 New Hampshire 5.60% 73
    2 New Jersey 6.80% 592
    3 Vermont 7.60% 47
    4 Minnesota 8.10% 412
    Do these figures in anyway take into account local cost of living or are they just pure income? Northern states residents have far higher heating expenses through the winter and while Vermonts property taxes are very high New Hampshires are supposedly astronomical as there is no state income tax...

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 8:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Firearm and crime stats from the FBI.

Stars are for people living below federal poverty line. So no.

I believe its 18500 per household annually, so I still consider that pretty poor in any state.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345