Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

okuri ashi harai

So I've been obsessed with this throw for almost two years...

The typical set-up that I see in praxis isn't the NNK demo where you sashay down the mat and sweep the trailing leg. It's usually a penetrating step and then a circular pull, sweeping the trailing leg at the rear of the circle.

When you see Igor Kurinnoy and other sambo guys do it, though, they seem to hit it without motion or kuzushi. The other night I talked about this with Zdenek Matl, an 8th dan here in town, and he said to generate the kuzushi in my legs and hips, side to side, from a stationary position. Then attack the leg that comes up, ever so slightly, knocking it into the other. After watching more sambo footage, I think that's the ticket.

I tried it during light randori the other night, and got it to work a few times. When doing full-speed randori today, though, I had one good attempt that almost succeeded, and the others were ****.

I'm stepping in fairly straight forward, so should I try to make the triangle? Step out farther like a more ballistic tai otoshi? Hit a 45'? I think the entry is my problem, because everything else is clicking when my timing is right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 12:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any luck I have had with this has been tsugi ashing (spelling?) in at a 45 degree angle toward my hand gripping ukes collar. Ideally I time the sweep with when my opponent begins to retreat backwards from my strong drive in. I also try to drive in deep so that I get a good range with my sweeping foot.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 10:39am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega hates this throw. It's a jealous hate but hates it none the less. Omega teaches throw. Student do the throw, Omega still sucks at throw. Students better than Omega. This makes Omega sad and confused.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Omega hates this throw. It's a jealous hate but hates it none the less. Omega teaches throw. Student do the throw, Omega still sucks at throw. Students better than Omega. This makes Omega sad and confused.
    Tfw you (I) have to ask the thirteen year old green-belt to demonstrate the sweep for the kids, because you (I) think he does it really well (I couldn't do it to save my life).

Blackmonk, can you share that sambo okuri ashi footage? I'm interested in seeing what you mean. All the fighters in my dojo who can nail this throw enter at 45 and give a circular pull for a trailing leg sweep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 9:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Step in closer and cut the distance between yourself and uke.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 10:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There are three of them, I believe, starting at 2:50. The first looks like a deashi harai/OAH hybrid, but the last one at 3:00 is from a planted position. None of them, though, come from the typical circular pull or sideways sashay.

Uke in the last one is blocked by Igor, so we don't know what exactly he was doing with that lead leg.

I'm just interested in finding as many ways to set up this throw as possible.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might call that last throw harai tsurikomi ashi. Maybe even all three, it really looks like he's sweeping forward and through the opponent. As far as I could always tell that is the difference between both sweeps: they both prop the opponent and sweep the trailing leg into the other, but tsurikomi ashi sweeps forward and okuri ashi sweeps side to side.

So there's another set up for you, do harai tsurikommi ashi.

http://judoinfo.com/images/animation...rikomiashi.gif

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima.../okuriashi.gif

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 10:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking the same thing after I saw some clips of Russians hitting harai tsurikomi ashi in judo comps.

I worked on the okuri ashi harai today, though, and figured out some interesting things, at least for my body type. Rather than do the push/pull into circular kuzushi by entering to the outside of uke's mirrored foot, I step in between his/her feet to create a closer penetrating step. And then after I pull them into a circle, I punch that lapel hand across, opposite the direction of the sweep.

I still couldn't get it super efficient, but it felt better that way. Our heavyweight was hitting them on me in drilling like it was nothing, though.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2012 10:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-06 15.20.34.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	14140

Second footwork diagram is what seems to work for me, mechanically.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/07/2012 12:30am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast