Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clean board with cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to clean up any corrosion.

or make a new board

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    rubbing alcohol to clean up any corrosion.
    "Rubbing" alcohol (60-70% isopropyl) is actually not the best for cleaning/preventing metal corrosion on PCBs and in fact can make it worse, because most over the counter isopropyl mixes can contain up to 40% water or other crap that you don't want to leave a residue of.

Alcohol is still good for removing dirt, rosin, and other crap but only people familiar with cleaning electronics should do that, especially on something as delicate as a cell phone.

I don't know where the "rubbing" alcohol myth keeps coming from but of ALL the alcohols you can use to clean PBCs (iso, methyl, ethyl), the standard "rubbing alcohol" is usually worst in purity and the most likely to leave behind an unwanted semiconductive or insulative residue...the worst being undenatured water minerals that in turn lead to even more corrosion.

If you do use high concentrate isopropyl (99%) make sure you don't touch any aluminum pieces or plastic, because it will dissolve them. I doubt you could even get that unless you work in certain fields...

Professionals typically use 99/100% denatured (D2) isopropyl, which is completely demineralized and also pretty nasty...do not try that at home or without proper safety precautions...

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/03/2012 7:29pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first thought was: Do you really want to be holding up something from your toilet against your faceholes? Then I remembered that cellphones have so much bacteria already on them that dropping it in the toilet probably made it cleaner.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 7:13pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    My first thought was: Do you really want to be holding up something from your toilet against your faceholes? Then I remembered that cellphones have so much bacteria already on them that dropping it in the toilet probably made it cleaner.
    Name:  article-1273197-094F4DBC000005DC-941_306x275.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  20.4 KB
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 8:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I failed at patience and tried it. it's working, however I've lost vibrate and the ability to change the volume. but that's all right all I need is max or silent anyway, and if It's music or videos the apps have volume settings. All and over I'm considering myself rather lucky getting away with this one so lightly. :D I pulled the battery again after the test, I'll let it sit for a couple of days just in case.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 8:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The isopropyl I used to clean it up was made for cleaning PCBs. My dad had some left over from a job he was doing earlier this year. (he's an Electrical Engineer, but he works in Papua New Guinea) not sure exactly what it is, but I don't think it's as nasty as that other stuff you mentioned. At any rate I always use the safety stuff just in case.

oh and I cleaned up the outside so I'm not overly concerned about the possible ickyness of toilet-phone.

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 1:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine got washed and had the same symptoms. I pulled it apart and left the pieces in rice for a day or two and it worked well enough for awhile but it seemed to deteriorate over time. Eventually I had no other choice but to replace it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 2:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I don't imagine it will last forever after this, but at least now I can plan to replace it rather than being forced to do so tomorrow, and most importantly it means I was able to download all the photos on it; because while you can replace phones, you can't replace photos.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Took it all apart again and disconnected the vibration motor and the volume switch. Just in case they start corroding internally. Posting from phone now so o guess we have at least a partial success. Let's see how it survives the next week.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12