Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 12:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Phone fell in toilet.

So my phone was in my pocket, however I had headphones in and I accidentally pulled on the lead with the disastrous result of my phone landing straight into the toilet. I half died as I watched it's screen light go out. I immediately pulled it out and disconnected the battery, I then dissembled it as far as I was confident I could get it back together again. (pcb still joined to screen, but all the casing disconnected.) and placed it in rice, I then put it (still in the rice) in the oven at just above 40 degrees Celsius(104 f) (which is roughly the summer daytime temperature here anyway)

So I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that might help? I realise there's a good chance it's already dead beyond saving, but I'm pretty much trying anything as I have no idea how I'm going to afford to replace it.

My current plan is to leave it in the rice for the next day or so, I'll take it out of the oven once it gets to daytime because it will get to similar heats anyway, and I'm still not convinced that the oven was the best idea anyway.

so please, any suggestions will be appreciated.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 12:53pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice would be to dump the rest of the rice out of the plastic bag it came in and place the bag over your head, secured with a rubberband about the neck for approximately 30 to 45 minutes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 1:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tried this, but it's only a small rice bag, so it doesn't really fit, it burst open when I pulled it down, I don't think it will have the desired result anymore.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 1:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, so I started looking and I noticed some corrosion on the bottom of the motherboard, so I (somehow) separated the motherboard from the screen, cleaned up the far side with some isopropyl alcohol (for both it's hydrophilic and cleaning tendencies) dried it up, put it back together again (even more confused about how I figured that out, God I wish I was sober through this) and put it back in the rice and back in the oven. Looking at the motherboard nothing appears visibly damaged (shorts generally cause a semiconductor to burn up, and water often causes bubbling) so now I'm actually starting to get pretty hopeful that it will turn on again. The only problem is I seem to have lost the volume switch; which is unfortunate, but I'm sure I'll be able to MacGyver something, else just set it to max volume, no one needs any other settings anyway.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's fucked.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most likely, tbh, but I was trying to be optimistic for a moment. I'll try and turn it on tomorrow some time, that is, if I can remain patient and deal with the suspense long enough.
    If it dies now I guess I'll at least know I did something, and as horrible as finding extra money for a new phone is, this will most likely force me to upgrade; so it's not all bad, just need to work out how long I've been on this contract and if I can get a (relatively) cheap upgrade yet, else I'll throw the sim card into a 20 dollar phone and wait until that time comes.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 4:19pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once dropped a nokia (the blue screen one) in boiling pasta, retrieved it while burning my fingers then threw it in the sink which, inexplicably, was half filled with water. I was talking to a mate at the time, he reckons all he heard was a series of expletives and several thuds before it failed. I wrapped it in tea towels and left it for the night.

The next morning it worked perfectly, in fact, previous to the incident it would sometimes turn itself off randomly, never again.

That remains one of the only times where I have experienced "bullet time".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauly View Post
    most likely, tbh, but I was trying to be optimistic for a moment. I'll try and turn it on tomorrow some time, that is, if I can remain patient and deal with the suspense long enough.
    If it dies now I guess I'll at least know I did something, and as horrible as finding extra money for a new phone is, this will most likely force me to upgrade; so it's not all bad, just need to work out how long I've been on this contract and if I can get a (relatively) cheap upgrade yet, else I'll throw the sim card into a 20 dollar phone and wait until that time comes.
    If SEQ stands for South East Queensland, you sir would be fucked. No Obama phone for you.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 5:09pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    If SEQ stands for South East Queensland, you sir would be fucked. No Obama phone for you.
    Although if Campbell Newman's popularity keeps plummeting at the current rate he may need to employ some Obama-esque tactics to maintain his job, especially the made-up ones^.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 5:16pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I always get the cheapest model possible. So I don't care if I loose it and can laugh at someone who wants to rob me for it. I am also surprised how sturdy some of those models are. One fell out of my pocket and stayed out for a whole rainy and cold night, but it still works, only the battery goes out faster.
    I'm thinking about that army model which doesn't have much apps, but it works underwater as a next candidate. Also not likely to be a desirable loot for mr. bad guy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast