Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2012 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Signed. Sharing the message at my club, also.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 1:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Already signed!

But I wanted to share this story from the Good Fight Winter Open (IBJJF) yesterday (I will post the vid when it is up). At one point he attacks his opponent's ankle and reaps. Just as quickly as he reaps, he un-reaps as he knows it is not allowed. He never even established full leg control because he corrected himself so fast. In fact. he un-reaps so fast that the ref was too slow in even making the call. But, the ref DQ's him anyway! He's like "Sorry man, I know you corrected it, but it is the rule." Meanwhile, other refs were not DQing people, they were just giving a warning and re-positioning. But, not our guy. Automatic DQ. Total bullshit.

As an aside, I had another guy DQ'd in a medal match (gi division) for stalling. He was on top in scarf hold working for armbar (I was on another mat coaching another student, but I saw the vid). The ref warned him in Portuguese that he was stalling. My student had no idea what he was saying. Then the ref DQ's him for stalling without ever making sure my guy knew what he was saying. When I came back, I spoke to the ref and he said. This is a Brazilian sport, we make calls in Portugese. Well, your tournament is in Brooklyn, fucking speak English. Well, at my guy came back and placed in no-gi.

If not for these two DQ's we would have placed in every division.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwarte Piet View Post
    Already signed!

At one point he attacks his opponent's ankle and reaps. Just as quickly as he reaps, he un-reaps as he knows it is not allowed. He never even established full leg control because he corrected himself so fast. In fact. he un-reaps so fast that the ref was too slow in even making the call. But, the ref DQ's him anyway! He's like "Sorry man, I know you corrected it, but it is the rule." Meanwhile, other refs were not DQing people, they were just giving a warning and re-positioning. But, not our guy. Automatic DQ. Total bullshit.
    Sounds a bit like leg grabs in judo. At my last competition I mistakenly thought the match had gone into newaza and reached to single leg my opponent. As soon as I touched the leg I realised he was still actually on his feet[*] and pulled back straight away. Ref didn't say anything.

Another guy who sometimes trains at my gym, and who had a good chance of meddling, got DQ'd for blocking a guys hips with his hand, which should actually be cool, or a penalty for stalling at worst.

[*]Yes I realise that sounds retarded.

As an aside, I had another guy DQ'd in a medal match (gi division) for stalling. He was on top in scarf hold working for armbar (I was on another mat coaching another student, but I saw the vid). The ref warned him in Portuguese that he was stalling. My student had no idea what he was saying. Then the ref DQ's him for stalling without ever making sure my guy knew what he was saying. When I came back, I spoke to the ref and he said. This is a Brazilian sport, we make calls in Portugese. Well, your tournament is in Brooklyn, fucking speak English.
    I'd need to look at the rule-book again, but aren't the calls specified in Portuguese there?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 2:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Murray in Scrooged View Post
    I'd need to look at the rule-book again, but aren't the calls specified in Portuguese there?
    They may be, probably are. And I did not bitch about it to the ref. If he was stalling, he was stalling. But, I think in US events calls should be made in English or both, especially if it seems a competitor does not know what you are saying. It is just a pet peeve of mine. I have been to sambo events where the officials are talking to competitors in Russian. We have no idea WTF they are saying most of the time.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 3:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Already signed!

But I wanted to share this story from the Good Fight Winter Open (IBJJF) yesterday (I will post the vid when it is up). At one point he attacks his opponent's ankle and reaps. Just as quickly as he reaps, he un-reaps as he knows it is not allowed. He never even established full leg control because he corrected himself so fast. In fact. he un-reaps so fast that the ref was too slow in even making the call. But, the ref DQ's him anyway! He's like "Sorry man, I know you corrected it, but it is the rule." Meanwhile, other refs were not DQing people, they were just giving a warning and re-positioning. But, not our guy. Automatic DQ. Total bullshit.

As an aside, I had another guy DQ'd in a medal match (gi division) for stalling. He was on top in scarf hold working for armbar (I was on another mat coaching another student, but I saw the vid). The ref warned him in Portuguese that he was stalling. My student had no idea what he was saying. Then the ref DQ's him for stalling without ever making sure my guy knew what he was saying. When I came back, I spoke to the ref and he said. This is a Brazilian sport, we make calls in Portugese. Well, your tournament is in Brooklyn, fucking speak English. Well, at my guy came back and placed in no-gi.

If not for these two DQ's we would have placed in every division.
    Last time a ref spoke to me like that I told him to go **** himself and if he wanted to do something about it the parking lot was 100 ft that way. I fucking hate refs like that.

*edit. I took my daughter to a Judo tournament last month. You should have saw my daughters confusion when the ref kept yelling 'mate'. I laughed and explained I teach her sambo and she does not know the Judo terms.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Last time a ref spoke to me like that I told him to go **** himself and if he wanted to do something about it the parking lot was 100 ft that way. I fucking hate refs like that.

*edit. I took my daughter to a Judo tournament last month. You should have saw my daughters confusion when the ref kept yelling 'mate'. I laughed and explained I teach her sambo and she does not know the Judo terms.
    I had another guy (He won gold in purple/brown no-gi) who was working for a north/south choke. Slowly sinking it in...getting tighter and tighter. The ref is warning him for stalling. At least he said it in English. I am like "You see he is working for a choke? Right?"

It is tough when you have a **** load of guys at an event and you can't be matside for all of them to advocate for them. It is hard to come to a ref after the fact and argue something you did not witness. Really highlights the need to train students as coaches as well.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Signed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 4:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had another guy (He won gold in purple/brown no-gi) who was working for a north/south choke. Slowly sinking it in...getting tighter and tighter. The ref is warning him for stalling. At least he said it in English. I am like "You see he is working for a choke? Right?"

It is tough when you have a **** load of guys at an event and you can't be matside for all of them to advocate for them. It is hard to come to a ref after the fact and argue something you did not witness. Really highlights the need to train students as coaches as well.
    I'm there with you. There's more to my story but that's for another time. It's why I don't like going to big tournaments unless everybody is ready to be there for each other.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12