Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 10:04am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    If all it takes to remove any ideas of morality from your martial art is to use a different language that's some weak sauce. Saying "hip throw" vs "O Goshi" doesn't magically turn it into a different throw or take away from Kanos ideas of judo as moral discipline.
    It's also extremely insulting to people who do not speak Japanese as it seems to imply their language lacks morals or is too simplistic to express intricate concepts. Perhaps some people are insecure in their skills and want to hide behind poorly understood terminology?

I like using Japanese/Portugese for convenience however the language should be a tool to help learning not obfuscate it for those that just want to appear knowledgable.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 4:15pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Not true for koryu...and your provisio for Judo also applies to the koryu. Per my previous post in this thread: let's take for example the very first technique of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu...Mae. Loosely translated, it means "forward." That doesn't even begin to describe the meaning, purpose or proper execution of the technique. Use the Youtubes and see for yourself. "Forward" only denotes the direction of attack...it doesn't describe what's going on or even how to do it.

If I follow your train of logic, I should instead call Mae: "as you rise up from seiza, simultanously draw your sword in a rapid but controlled way and sever the entire bicept and most of the tricept of your attacker's right arm as well as deeply cutting his right pectoral muscle before he can draw his sword so as to render him lame, then finish him off with an overhead strike." Yeah, my honky Missouri-bred gaijin ass will stick with "Mae."

A common vocabulary unites all practicioners of a martial art or a combat sport. The use of the Japanese in traditional Japanese martial arts provides the Linga Franca for all. Using Japanese terminology is not bad in itself, it's just when the "Last Samurai" get involved and try to out Japanese the Japanese. We're all gaijin. Just gringos and honkys. As long as you're not comical or otherwise over-the-top about it, that's what counts.

Nobody has ever heard of koryu, much less practiced it. So your argument is invalid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 5:07pm

Style: koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Nobody has ever heard of koryu, much less practiced it. So your argument is invalid.
    I presuming you're being sarcastic. But, I'll bite anyway....

Koryu bujutsu. I practice one, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Use the google.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 5:20pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondy8 View Post
    I once went to a class and I entered the class where they were playing"number of the beast" by iron maiden this was just not right.
    Why is that "just not right"? Seriously - how is training to music a bad thing?

I don't get where you[re coming from with this thread at all mate. You're the instructor at the Colne branch of your organisation right? Are your classes more "respectful" than the Muay Thai classes down the road at Hakuda because they play music and you don't, and what they call a "roundhouse kick" you call "mawashi geri"?

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 5:30pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    I presuming you're trolling. But, I'll bite anyway....

Koryu bujutsu. I practice one, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Use the google.
    Fixed that for you.

Don't feed the Devil.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Seriously - how is training to music a bad thing?
    Ever trained in a hall with a bums'n'tums fitness class going on in the next room?

I'm so sick of that same bloody Shakira song being played over and over.

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 5:41pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Ever trained in a hall with a bums'n'tums fitness class going on in the next room?

I'm so sick of that same bloody Shakira song being played over and over.
    Sounds fantastic... Tell me more...

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 5:56pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Well we have these things called walls between the rooms, so all I know about what goes on there is that it involves a lot of Shakira and Maroon 5.

Though before and after the class lets out we get a bunch of college aged girls in the corridor looking in at us. Usually when we're practising triangle chokes, or something equally dodgy looking.

Do you think they would respect us more if they knew we used the word sankaku-jime to refer to the move?

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 6:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shouldn't take the piss so much. There's nothing wrong with wanting to use Japanese words or immerse yourself in Japanese culture if that's what you're into. I just feel that it is only a matter of taste, and not something that makes the style objectively better or worse.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 12/04/2012 6:15pm at . Reason: Mixed up subjective and objective!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 6:25pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post

San, then shi, then roku, then go, and I can't get a good enough look at the rest of the faces, but probably ni then ichi.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I shouldn't take the piss so much. There's nothing wrong with wanting to use Japanese words or immerse yourself in Japanese culture if that's what you're into. I just feel that it is only a matter of taste, and not something that makes the style objectively better or worse.
    and this^^. I quite like the attempts at Japanese we make. It all adds to the LARPing factor.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast