221904 Bullies, 3965 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 61 to 70 of 141
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Bondy8 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Colne
    Posts
    7

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 5:27am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goshin Kempo Ju Jitsu

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Everyone is ignoring the OP by saying "it helps when I can't explain a technique and compete internationally." Cool, I can completely agree with this point.

    NO this is crap:
    No, an art will not lose any of these things because the words used aren't Japanese. If
    that happens, your school, students, and instructors are assholes.
    I don't expect everybody to learn the entire Japanese language just the basic etiquette and throws and locks.
    As for tradition we must keep up the basic mat etiquette for example rai onto and of the mat , not coming onto the mat until invited.
    These things need to be upheld , I once went to a class and I entered the class where they were playing"number of the beast" by iron maiden this was just not right.
  2. DarkPhoenix is offline
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar

    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hicksville, NY
    Posts
    2,248

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 7:57am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Everybody know Iroquois taste better when you take the skin off. Like catfish.
    We taste nothing like catfish. At least that is what my girlfriend tells me.

    As for Japanese in the dojo. In Judo, it makes sense, because it is an art played all over the world. Pronunciation may be screwed up by the gaijin, but the the name of the throw is the same whether you are in Germany, England, or Korea. Maybe Korea is a bad example, but you get the point.

    For Karate on the other hand, there was only one dojo that I went to that used the Japanese terminology for techniques. Same for the TKD dojang I was at. They only used Korean terms for counting and sparring. It depends on what the owners/teachers at the school want. At my judo club, we always use the Japanese terms, but make sure to explain it with the English Translation. Example, "O" being Major, "Soto" being Outside, "Gari" being Reap. Once we break down the terminology, the kids start picking up on what the pieces of the word means.

    That is just with our club I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
  3. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,486

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:02am

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of you people are massive fucking idiots.

    1) It's a Japanese martial art. Use Japanese.

    2) Using Japanese terminology is not "teaching Japanese".

    /thread over
  4. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,027

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:19am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The use of Japanese names in judo makes sense because judo has a consistent syllabus. There is one name for the technique and each technique only has one name. Contrast this with for example BJJ where you have multiple name names for the same thing, or the case where a name used in one style means something else in another style. When this happens, it doesn't matter what language you are using.

    My judo school isn't particularly traditional, we don't bow getting on the mats or that kind of stuff. Our coach does use a lot of Japanese phrases though - not just the throw names but words for actions, directions and parts of the body - simply so we can follow them and understand them if we're in competitions or have foreign students or coaches.
  5. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,027

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:23am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondy8 View Post
    As for tradition we must keep up the basic mat etiquette for example rai onto and of the mat , not coming onto the mat until invited.
    These things need to be upheld .
    They do not need to be upheld. You like them to be upheld. Please try and see the difference.
  6. Bondy8 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Colne
    Posts
    7

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:34am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goshin Kempo Ju Jitsu

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    They do not need to be upheld. You like them to be upheld. Please try and see the difference.
    Ok I would like to upheld these traditional principals because it teaches the kids discipline and respect and this is one of the factors parents do look at before picking a school for there child to attend.
    Remember it's not all about fighting or self defence parents want discipline and respect to.
  7. Cake of Doom is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    surrey, UK
    Posts
    833

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:41am


     Style: Holiday Judo

    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely thats up to the parents to teach, wouldn't you say?
  8. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,027

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:43am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondy8 View Post
    Ok I would like to upheld these traditional principals because it teaches the kids discipline and respect
    What evidence do you have that the use of Japanese, and not any other language teaches kids discipline and respect?

    Regardless of the window dressing kids doing martial arts (or sports in general) receive basic lessons on listening to a teacher, doing as instructed, and respecting the safety which in turn of their fellow students which in turn instils discipline and respect. What evidence do you have that adding instructions to bow etc. increases the level of discipline and respect instilled in class?
  9. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,027

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:50am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Surely thats up to the parents to teach, wouldn't you say?
    Yes and no. Parents should be teaching their kids discipline and respect directly, but they should also make sure their kids are involved in activities that encourage these things and provide them with an opportunity to put their sense of discipline and respect to use.
  10. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,294

    Posted On:
    12/04/2012 8:52am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    /thread over
    It's official.

    The thread has ceased to be over.

    Everyone continue posting or Errant will pop a musical vein.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.