Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 8:32pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I like the idea that using Japanese nomenclature to aid understanding between people from different backgrounds

In practice it does not always work that way

We had a French judoka train with us (an English speaking dojo)

His pronunciation of the nominally Japanese words was quite different on many occasions and required a demonstration of the technique in question
    Hmmm. Good point. Forgot about that. I trained at a Kyokushin school for a while and the sensei was French Canadian. His pronunciation of counting 1-10 (for example) was very different than the way that my English-speaking Jiu-Jitsu senseis pronounced 1-10. (And the English speakers learned it from other English speakers so it's quite likely that it's fairly off from correct Japanese.)

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 8:43pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See-oh-ee nah-gi. This is not right, but is apparently common.

When you can't pronounce it right you probably shouldn't be using it. Likely it would seem that, without fluency or at least a high level of competency, using Japanese terms in a dojo outside of Japan is ineffective.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 11:42pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

It's fun to you. You like it. That's where the need to use Japanese terminology begins and ends. Don't stretch for further reasoning.
    Japanese is the technical language for what I do. Many of the terms we use would mean nothing, or perhaps a different thing, to the average Japanese. But they are used world-wide as short hand for some very complicated concepts. It is not just about culture or culture-worship.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 4:18am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got to play judo in Norway recently with a Swedish player. Trust me, knowing the Japanese terms helped immensely.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 5:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The resemblance of the sounds made in UK Gendai "Ju Jitsu" to the Japanese language is extremely limited.

The bulk of the non-Judo 'Japanese' of the Jitsu Foundation, which is the largest single organisation in the BJJAGB, isn't historical passing-down but English terms badly translated in recent years to sound more martial artsy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 5:43am

Style: KK TKD GJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makes communication easy having the same word for a move or technique all over the world for my style

Makes international competition easy too

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    I got to play judo in Norway recently with a Swedish player. Trust me, knowing the Japanese terms helped immensely.
    No. I don't trust you. I'm listening, but you've got to give a better explanation that that. Otherwise, I'm going to assume the real driving force behind your fondness of Japanese terminology is that it makes you feel more like Daniel-san.

For the record, I can see the value more in Judo. But most karate nerds don't need it at all.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 9:39am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 View Post
    Well if one person speaks Swedish and the other speaks English but they are both calling a move the same thing it might help. This is not a difficult concept.
    Fair enough. I can accept that.

Would you also say that if one speaks Swedish and the other speaks English, then their discipline, honor and respect for the martial arts would be at risk?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 9:55am

Style: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think that learning the Japanese language is beneficial to learning a traditional Japanese martial art, but is not necessarily needed. Words and explanations generally are not vital to being able to perform techniques correctly. It is constant practice and application that makes the martial artist. If you are interested in learning Japanese or Japanese culture, I would urge you to take a course in Japanese language, culture or history. "Unless they have a degree in Japanese, lived in Japan for several years or are Japanese, "Senseis" are proficient in their respective arts not the Japanese language. For example, I learned more Japanese than my Sensei, with just one semester of Japanese.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 10:12am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny story here related to the use of Japanese / English in the martial arts.

I once had a very nice and capable karate instructor. He began practicing martial arts in the late 60s under a Japanese instructor that spoke shitty English. Sometimes when we were training and my instructor wanted us to repeat a technique, he'd go "Same, same!" "Same, same!" I always wondered what the **** he said that for.

Then one day he showed me an old video of his instructor teaching a class. During the course of the video I heard the old Japanese instructor saying it. But I instantly realized something my instructor apparently had not. The Japanese guy was trying to say "Same thing" to get his students to repeat a technique. But it came out as "same sing". My instructor had misunderstood and thought he was saying "same, same." And he repeated that for decades as a teacher because he thought it sounded Japanesey.

So you had an English speaking white guy imitating a Japanese guy who was trying his damndest to speak proper English. lol.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast