I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    You **** about in this forum with that shite again and the infractions start. This is not YMAS.
    I appologise for posting innapropriately in the TMA forum

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 11:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle Goju, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer the use of Japanese, I find it flows well with breathing, execution of technique and mindset.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 4:57am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Gonzalles View Post
    I prefer the use of Japanese, I find it flows well with breathing, execution of technique and mindset.
    I'm not sure I understand that point. Would you saw yoko geri "flows better with breathing, execution of technique" than say side kick would?

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 9:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    I'm not sure I understand that point. Would you saw yoko geri "flows better with breathing, execution of technique" than say side kick would?
    Yoko?

Oh no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 5:38pm

Style: Jujitsu, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once had a sensei who was Russian, every technique - he named in English, Japanese and Russian

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 2:19pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I see it, the main upside of teaching Japanese terminology in training is, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, to make it easier for people that don't share nationalities to still understand one another without creating the need for someone who doesn't speak very good English to learn the English equivalent for a bunch of techniques.

This is useful not only when going from school to school within the same martial art, but also across different MAs with the same background (in this case, Japanese); I haven't practiced Karate for a moment of my life, but if someone talks about gyaku geri (no clue if this actually exists) I can get an idea of what the technique entails, being that I have an understanding for what the individual words mean.

That said, having the instructor say "Alright, we're gonna drill Kote Gaeshi!" followed by half the class going "Uh, is that the one where you twist the...?" is just annoying, and can hamper the progress of otherwise talented individuals, so a degree of restraint and understanding is essential on the part of the instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 3:37pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every activity has a language that serves as its intentional medium. If you watch a tennis tournament, every player, no matter what country they're from, knows what "fifteen", "thirty", "forty", "fault", "let", and "out" mean. When I was studying classical music in college, the language was Italian. Everyone who reads a score, no matter what country they're from, knows what allegro moderato means, and knows where to go when the music says D.C. al Fine. It only makes sense that we have such an international medium for budo, and it only makes sense that this medium be Japanese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 2:01am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Every activity has a language that serves as its intentional medium. If you watch a tennis tournament, every player, no matter what country they're from, knows what "fifteen", "thirty", "forty", "fault", "let", and "out" mean. When I was studying classical music in college, the language was Italian. Everyone who reads a score, no matter what country they're from, knows what allegro moderato means, and knows where to go when the music says D.C. al Fine. It only makes sense that we have such an international medium for budo, and it only makes sense that this medium be Japanese.
    I agree here and also with Hadzu. Judo is very much a cultural product of Japan. The art's precepts stem from the spirit of the Japanese people, and should be observed (and preserved) traditionally.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 3:38am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChokeAJudoka View Post
    Judo is very much a cultural product of Japan. The art's precepts stem from the spirit of the Japanese people, and should be observed (and preserved) traditionally.
    I dissagre. Judo is a product of body mechanics, and similar arts are practiced in several cultures

Check out this Cornish wrestling vid (is that uke goshi at 5.22?)

or Breton wrestling

The only parts of judo that are peculliar to Japanese culture is the terminology and the bowing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 4:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I dissagre. Judo is a product of body mechanics, and similar arts are practiced in several cultures

Check out this Cornish wrestling vid (is that uke goshi at 5.22?)

or Breton wrestling

The only parts of judo that are peculliar to Japanese culture is the terminology and the bowing
    Describing Judo as merely simple body mechanics, in my opinion, reflects a limited understanding of what Judo (or other "-do" disciplines) are. Accomplishment of technique, art, or trick without the presence of significant moral, mental and spiritual attributes constitutes something entirely useless (unless you happen to be a cage fighter).

As far as the technique itself goes, well, comparing that Cornish Wrestling video to a video of Kodokan Judoka speaks for itself. To quote an instructor I saw somewhere,"If all you want to do is work hard, you can put on roller skates and stumble around if you want - but this is all about building a Ferrari."

Would you say Mexican and French cuisine are the same because they are both food?
    Last edited by ChokeAJudoka; 6/29/2013 4:26am at .