Our Sponsors:

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 3:37pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every activity has a language that serves as its intentional medium. If you watch a tennis tournament, every player, no matter what country they're from, knows what "fifteen", "thirty", "forty", "fault", "let", and "out" mean. When I was studying classical music in college, the language was Italian. Everyone who reads a score, no matter what country they're from, knows what allegro moderato means, and knows where to go when the music says D.C. al Fine. It only makes sense that we have such an international medium for budo, and it only makes sense that this medium be Japanese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 2:01am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Every activity has a language that serves as its intentional medium. If you watch a tennis tournament, every player, no matter what country they're from, knows what "fifteen", "thirty", "forty", "fault", "let", and "out" mean. When I was studying classical music in college, the language was Italian. Everyone who reads a score, no matter what country they're from, knows what allegro moderato means, and knows where to go when the music says D.C. al Fine. It only makes sense that we have such an international medium for budo, and it only makes sense that this medium be Japanese.
    I agree here and also with Hadzu. Judo is very much a cultural product of Japan. The art's precepts stem from the spirit of the Japanese people, and should be observed (and preserved) traditionally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 4:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I dissagre. Judo is a product of body mechanics, and similar arts are practiced in several cultures

Check out this Cornish wrestling vid (is that uke goshi at 5.22?)

or Breton wrestling

The only parts of judo that are peculliar to Japanese culture is the terminology and the bowing
    Describing Judo as merely simple body mechanics, in my opinion, reflects a limited understanding of what Judo (or other "-do" disciplines) are. Accomplishment of technique, art, or trick without the presence of significant moral, mental and spiritual attributes constitutes something entirely useless (unless you happen to be a cage fighter).

As far as the technique itself goes, well, comparing that Cornish Wrestling video to a video of Kodokan Judoka speaks for itself. To quote an instructor I saw somewhere,"If all you want to do is work hard, you can put on roller skates and stumble around if you want - but this is all about building a Ferrari."

Would you say Mexican and French cuisine are the same because they are both food?
    Last edited by ChokeAJudoka; 6/29/2013 4:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 8:17am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dissagre. Judo is a product of body mechanics, and similar arts are practiced in several cultures

Check out this Cornish wrestling vid (is that uke goshi at 5.22?)

or Breton wrestling

The only parts of judo that are peculliar to Japanese culture is the terminology and the bowing
    He didn't say that all the physics of judo are unique to Japanese martial arts; he said that judo itself comes from Japan, which it does. There's really nothing to disagree with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if the only reason you do Judo is to learn how to fight - and you are not a professional competitor - then you are in it for the wrong reasons.

As far as self defense goes, Judo is of course useful as a last resort. However, you take Judo to learn how to avoid conflict. Nobody on the street cares what color your belt is - my sensei was an Olympian, and he carries concealed.

When asked what he would do if he were attacked, Kashiwazaki replied,"I'd find a big piece of wood."

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 12:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you agree with...

?
    He's cherry picking, OwlMatt does that at times, kind of like you and everyone else on this website.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He's cherry picking, OwlMatt does that at times, kind of like you and everyone else on this website.
    I don't see how I'm cherry picking? I've just pointed out the obvious, since he pointed out something ever MORE obvious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think IiF is refering to OwlMatt cherry picking, but ...
    Thank you for the clarification! :) I misread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To achieve self-perfection, develop confidence, reach out to others (my dojo waves it's fees for struggling inner city kids), promote health, be part of a family, participate in an aspect of Japanese culture (Int. Studies Major), and of course to have fun!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 12:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChokeAJudoka View Post
    I don't see how I'm cherry picking? I've just pointed out the obvious, since he pointed out something ever MORE obvious.
    You aren't Owlmatt, who doof just questioned in his post. Trust me, If I disagree with you, I'll name you and quote your post.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast