Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goshin Kempo Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should we still teach Japanese in the dojo?

I hear to much nowadays "we're in Britain why teach Japanese" and I think this is so wrong, we need to keep the tradition going otherwise we will eventually forget about all the honour and discipline and respect that comes with ju-Jitsu do you agree!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 11:47am

Style: Karate, Xingyiquan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like that everyone teaches in Japanese. Not because I think everyone will lose honour, discipline, and respect, but because I can go to any Karate school in the world and won't look like a total noob.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 1:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should not just be the Martial art that your learning but the language and the history behind it otherwise it will be lost, if you ask a student where there martial art comes from they should be able to tell you.
    If you introduce history and the language to your syllabus it makes it more than just a fighting or self defence system.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the problem with that view is that the history of most jujutsu styles goes back about 50 years to their foundation in English (or possibly German) speaking countries.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 1:24pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If all it takes to remove any ideas of morality from your martial art is to use a different language that's some weak sauce. Saying "hip throw" vs "O Goshi" doesn't magically turn it into a different throw or take away from Kanos ideas of judo as moral discipline.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 1:42pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondy8 View Post
    It should not just be the Martial art that your learning but the language and the history behind it otherwise it will be lost, if you ask a student where there martial art comes from they should be able to tell you.
    If you introduce history and the language to your syllabus it makes it more than just a fighting or self defence system.
    The bottom line is that there is no link between language and martial effectiveness. There is also no link between language and honor and there is no link between language and discipline. And if history is your concern, it can be taught in any language.

If you enjoy teaching and/or learning using Japanese, there's nothing wrong with that. You're right, it does make your martial art more than a fighting system. It makes it a fighting system with additional vocabulary. But the use of Japanese or any other language adds nothing that's essential for a student to learn technique, discipline, character or history. Japanese is not a magic wand for martial arts excellence.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 1:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just think as I do traditional Ju-jitsu it's only respectful to learn the history and language as part of my syllabus.
    I know that my style came from Liverpool but the martial art still came from Japan and we still use such weapons as the Katana and the Naganata which were used by the Samurai warriors and we still have to do traditional sword presentation.
    I respect every Martial art and I really think trying more makes you a better Martial artist.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The bottom line is that there is no link between language and martial effectiveness. There is also no link between language and honor and there is no link between language and discipline. And if history is your concern, it can be taught in any language.

If you enjoy teaching and/or learning using Japanese, there's nothing wrong with that. You're right, it does make your martial art more than a fighting system. It makes it a fighting system with additional vocabulary. But the use of Japanese or any other language adds nothing that's essential for a student to learn technique, discipline,
    character or history. Japanese is not a magic wand for martial arts excellence.
    When I started Ju-Jitsu I really enjoyed not just doing the physical part but learning the history and language it made it more than just a martial art for me and I think if classes just focus on the physical we will eventually lose the History.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 2:51pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like learning the "official" Japanese names of moves for the cultural / traditional aspect it brings to training. I understand that not everyone's into that so another reason I like learning the "official" names of moves is that it makes it easier to consistently transfer knowledge from one school or style to the next. For example, I've dropped into MMA / grappling / jiu-jitsu classes where someone has said Apply the scarf hold. ??? Y'know, that headlock pin. ??? Y'know, the number one hold down. ??? Y'know, kesa gatame. Oooooooooooooh! Right! No problem! Makes things easier this way.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 3:03pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondy8 View Post
    When I started Ju-Jitsu I really enjoyed not just doing the physical part but learning the history and language it made it more than just a martial art for me and I think if classes just focus on the physical we will eventually lose the History.
    You're a Japanophile. I'm not knocking you for that, but understand it doesn't make you a better martial artist. It's just language. And history can be learned in any language. The idea that you have to count in Japanese to learn the history of martial arts is just an excuse to indulge your Japanophilia.

I think the importance of history in martial arts training is a completely separate discussion. But regardless of where you stand on the importance of history - it can be learned in any language.
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast