Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. #31
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    No, there was a law in France declaring that hitting someone with a closed fist was considered "using a deadly weapon"
    But kicking someone with an old timey shoe wasn't?!? I mean, shod feet surely kill more people than fists do.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,033
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Did you watch the documentary erezb posted above?
    If I remember rallarsving correctly they have a rule that you have to chamber your kicks and reverse chamber on the way down and some other silly rules

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    273
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just finished watching the Human Weapon episode (I'd forgotten how irritating those two were) and a point that jumped out was they were definitely told not to switch stance - at odds with what you said Rene.

    Is this just because they suck?

  4. #34
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,669
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    I just finished watching the Human Weapon episode (I'd forgotten how irritating those two were) and a point that jumped out was they were definitely told not to switch stance - at odds with what you said Rene.

    Is this just because they suck?
    It takes years before your less dominate stance comes in the vecinity of your dominate side.
    After 3 years of training I would say that my less dominate side is about 70% of my dominate side, taking into account that all drills are done in both stances equally.
    So it's not "today we train unorthodox" once a month.

    Take also into considuration that they (Duff & Co) probably have trained other forms of Kickboxing before and did that 99% of the time in their orthodox stand, making the proces of getting a good unorthodox stand even longer.

    Also in the two weeks that it takes to shoot an episode, they wouldn't even scratch the surface in that, so probably they were told to fight orthodox because it's their best side.
    If they would have been taught unorthodox, the first time they got into that position against a decent Savateur...wel, let's just say that they would get the same beating as if they had their both fists tied behind their back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

  5. #35
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were training someone for a fight in a style they didn't know after 1 weeks' time, I'd probably try to keep things simple too.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    31
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look into the Defense Dans La Rue method if you're not inclined towards the sportive system you may find it more to your liking.

    Of course the method died out due to having many of its practitioners along with its traditional enemy wiped out in a world war.

    There are modern systems that try to emulate it and others which are trying to re-create the original system.

    DDLR can probably assist in pointing you towards a few worthwhile sites.

  7. #37
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,669
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate Défense
    (Eric Quequet was also in the human weapon episode)





    Demo of "Canne" and "Bâton"

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    31
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not the old style that we study/practice but his dvd's do look pretty good I've considered getting them a few times but most companies seem to have excessive posting charges.

    If anyone's got his dvd's can they review them as I still plan on eventually investing in them.

  9. #39
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,669
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorschlag View Post
    Not the old style that we study/practice but his dvd's do look pretty good I've considered getting them a few times but most companies seem to have excessive posting charges.

    If anyone's got his dvd's can they review them as I still plan on eventually investing in them.
    I've got both of them, but only in French.

    The basic techniques is 1:10:00 long.
    The advanced techniques is 0:48:00 long.

    The participants don't speak themselfs, but use gestures to focus on certain specifics in a technique demonstration. There's a voice-over commentating the techniques.
    I prefer this better than when the teacher talks whilest performing the technique because it doesn't interrupt the flow of the technique.

    Techniques are performed at normal speed, in slow motions, drills and how to spar them safely.
    It's quiet visual, so people who can "steal with their eyes" will benefit from the camera work.

    About the techniques themself:
    - you don't get an avalanche of techniques, but just a reasonable amount with their breakdown.
    - the techniques are logical and realistic in usages (so no Systema and Ke?po type of overkill), but for some techniques I would not use them in that way in a self-defense situation (pulling closed guard and going for a spinal extension lock)
    - You need to have some basic understanding/experience of grappling, especially Judo/freestyle throws, for the throws in Savate Défense. The video doesn't go there in the finer details

    All by all nice DVDs, but I wouldn't give more than $/€15 a piece, especially if you already have some decent knowledge/experience in self-defense techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

  10. #40
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorschlag View Post
    Look into the Defense Dans La Rue method if you're not inclined towards the sportive system you may find it more to your liking.

    Of course the method died out due to having many of its practitioners along with its traditional enemy wiped out in a world war.

    There are modern systems that try to emulate it and others which are trying to re-create the original system.

    DDLR can probably assist in pointing you towards a few worthwhile sites.
    There are people/clubs working more-or-less verbatim from early 20th century self defense manuals, such as Jean Joseph Renaud's "Defence dans la Rue" and Georges Dubois' "Comment se Defendre", balancing historical recreation with self defense training. The other major approach would be the self defense curricula developed by/attached to official boxe Francais institutions, which tend to be savate-flavored eclectic RBSD, without so much of a strict focus on French/historical sources.

Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO