Page 9 of 10 First ... 5678910 Last
  1. #81
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,037
    Style
    Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Yeah, it can definitely be a factor. Did they only try to make the point that you trained, were proficient, were a black belt, or actually used the training to cause harm?
    By the defense attorney's logic; I trained kickboxing years before, and post on Bullshido, therefore I pulled him into the apartment rather than him forcing his way in (even though he was unhurt).

    I wasn't in trouble. Never been arrested, or even ticketed. So anyway, guy beat the case. He still threatens me, from time to time, When he sees me around, but makes no move.

    Situational awareness: It's well important innit?

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    By the defense attorney's logic; I trained kickboxing years before, and post on Bullshido, therefore I pulled him into the apartment rather than him forcing his way in (even though he was unhurt).

    I wasn't in trouble. Never been arrested, or even ticketed. So anyway, guy beat the case. He still threatens me, from time to time, When he sees me around, but makes no move.

    Situational awareness: It's well important innit?
    My original thought for the day: Lawyers really suck ass sometimes.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    My original thought for the day: Lawyers really suck ass sometimes.
    Before anyone else says it: Yeah, I get that it's the lawyer's job -- adversarial system of justice, yada, yada. Fine. Sometimes the system sucks ass, then.

  4. #84
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,724
    Style
    xingyi
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    My original thought for the day: Lawyers really suck ass sometimes.
    Well, the other dudes lawyer was great.

  5. #85
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    9,899
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lesson learned expensive lawyers and accountants(just throwing that out0 tend to pay for them selves don't cheap out.

  6. #86
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    5,563
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting case here:

    MMA fighter sentenced for using hands as deadly weapons
    Authorities believes the skills of 27-year-old MMA fighter Jamual Parks of Arlington made him so dangerous, they charged him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after a November 2013 incident in which he beat up friend Juan Angel so badly he went to the hospital.
    http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...pons/75073388/

  7. #87
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    3,011
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    The law is on the books for florida , but it's never been used.
    I believe this case will be turned over

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    241
    Style
    Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone tells us on Bullshido that they have a black belt we can make a pretty good guess on how effective they actually are based on the style they have trained in and the training methods involved. How savy are the judiciary though. What if the judge is a fan of Steven Segal movies and believe the BS is real. "You should have been able to defend yourself from those two opponents due to your skill in Aikido without seriously injuring them" (and yes, I know that scenario is unlikely). Would this site count as "expert testimony" in a court of law?

  9. #89
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    5,563
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    The law is on the books for florida , but it's never been used.
    I believe this case will be turned over
    Source?

  10. #90
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    11,293
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Angel View Post
    If someone tells us on Bullshido that they have a black belt we can make a pretty good guess on how effective they actually are based on the style they have trained in and the training methods involved. How savy are the judiciary though. What if the judge is a fan of Steven Segal movies and believe the BS is real. "You should have been able to defend yourself from those two opponents due to your skill in Aikido without seriously injuring them" (and yes, I know that scenario is unlikely). Would this site count as "expert testimony" in a court of law?
    Judges don't give expert testimony in cases they handle. They don't testify at all. Judges (at a jury trial) are judges of the law, jury is judge of facts, and apply the jury applies the law to the facts, basically. So a judge in a jury trial isn't going to present any of his facts or opinions. He would rule on admissibility of evidence, other motions. In Idaho judges do sentencing, as well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 9 of 10 First ... 5678910 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO