Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 3:32pm

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What do you mean by "in substitution"? Is this different than the original question?
    In lieu.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    In lieu.
    So, in other words, ""if you have a black belt(certificate), then in the court of law you have your hands and feet registered in lieu"? I don't get it. In lieu of what?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    12/04/2012 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the myth:

"if you have a black belt(certificate), then in the court of law you have your hands and feet registered in substitution"

I've heard that one before.
    Is there something you can cite (in context) that substantiates this. I am interested because people say things every day; that doesn't necessarily make any of it true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    So, in other words, ""if you have a black belt(certificate), then in the court of law you have your hands and feet registered in lieu"? I don't get it. In lieu of what?
    This is a bunch of hype (I am using hype in lieu of bullshit for demonstration purposes).

The fact that someone has advanced training (subjective) in the martial arts could be a factor if they were to be prosecuted for some type of battery, outside using self-defense as justification.

Last edited by slamdunc; 12/04/2012 4:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 1:52pm

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Is there something you can cite (in context) that substantiates this. I am interested because people say things every day; that doesn't necessarily make any of it true.
    This is a bunch of hype (I am using hype in lieu of bullshit for demonstration purposes).

The fact that someone has advanced training (subjective) in the martial arts could be a factor if they were to be prosecuted for some type of battery, outside using self-defense as justification.

You just answered my question, and what if the self defense methods went on to the point of a brutal beating?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack
    what if the self defense methods went on to the point of a brutal beating?
    Then you martial arts expertise would be irrelevant. If you inflict punishment after an attack has been neutralized, law enforcement will be disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 2:23pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just answered my question, and what if the self defense methods went on to the point of a brutal beating?
    That depends on the venue. A brutal beating would surely cause bodily harm to the battered.

In my state, bodily harm is an enhancement (turns a misdemeanor into a felony), as is the beating happening in any public place (street, sidewalk, etc.). If the battered individual received any permanent injuries or scarring, it could go to heinous battery (big felony).

Although the requirement to register one's hands or that one is a deadly weapon are wives tales, a black belt, a professional boxer or MMA fighter would be under more scrutiny and would / should be held to a higher standard. It would certainly make a jury go ooooh and aaaaaah, or the Judge raise an eyebrow. It may well effect how the jury or Judge treats the accused, and the sentence if convicted.

:)

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was used against me in cour (that I'd trained).

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Fortunately, there was overwhelming evidence that you suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 9:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Yeah, it can definitely be a factor. Did they only try to make the point that you trained, were proficient, were a black belt, or actually used the training to cause harm?

I had to testify in an aggravated battery trial about the skill level of (a Dux Ryu) martial artist. He came to train with us and wanted to teach the children Ninja rolls. He claimed a black belt but our level-one students (1-6 months) boxed his ears. Later, Michael Cairns (a Dux black belt) informs me that the guy is one of their 'honorary black belts'; WTF.

We had a battery in a public place, the victim was slightly harmed and the guys martial skills were minimal, even though the prosecutor tried to get that in. The guy was acquitted because the victim in this case wasn't well liked (smart-ass and a registered sex-offender).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2012 12:25pm

Style: KK

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I figured that was issue people had with my post, it just didn't occur to me when I was typing it out.

I would like to refer everyone to my posts when I first joined and ask, do you think how I talk on here is how I talk irl or is this just me trying to expand my vocabulary? I'm not trolling or being a smartass here, but this isn't the first one of these misinterpretations of my posts.
    I'll probably get **** for this, but I think that you're a better poster now than you were when you came on. I think you convey your opinions more clearly, and that your more questionable moments/posts have decreased dramatically (the op in this thread being one of the increasingly rare instances of being kinda questionable.)

I also think there are elements here who foresee that you could at some point become a valuable/respected member of this site, and are giving you **** to push you in that direction. You probably shouldn't have used the site for you baby mama drama, and there are those who will continue to ride that, but if you START TRAINING and increasingly think before you post, you'll be fine.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast