Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for your input. I understand it's suspicious, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew him or knew more about him. Honestly, to see if I was overlooking something. The Judo thing I mention again because I don't see a teacher anywhere in his bio. I will post some links...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 5:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Silo42; 12/03/2012 5:46pm at .

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 5:40pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silo42 View Post
    My question is about being able to teach Ju Jutsu. If you are qualified to teach it wouldn't you know your teacher's name and history? I don't see Ju Jutsu being taught to him by anyone else, or even Judo for that matter.

-Look under the "What we offer" tab for Judo etc.
    simply, yes. If you are qualified then you will remember. Even if you are a little hopeless with names, their name will appear on your qualification.

Also, to gain sufficient proficiency in a martial art in order to teach it, it takes years of diligent weekly practice. If after several years and hundreds of hours of training one on one with someone you are undable to retain such simple information as the name of the person you've been spendign all this time iwth, how could you possibly retain more complex information about the application of martial techniques, let alone be able to pass them onto someone else?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 7:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What makes these people think they'll get away with anything in the age of the google?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think with the general concensus I got my answer. It seems to be what I thought.

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 11:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: americanfreestylekarate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont even have to read the whole story he forgot who taught him sounds like he is an idiot

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 2:53am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You would have to sceptical of anyone who claims they cannot remember the name of their instructor they learnt from. In the age of the internet it is very odd indeed. Who wouldn't bother to learn the name of the person you spent several years learning from??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 4:52am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But, on a little street near China Town, Mr. M. Shuragowa (I doubt my spelling so Iím just going to call him Sensei.) taught jiu jitsu in the basement and back yard of his home.
    From the page address in your first post. This does not prove or disprove his claims of learning Ju Jutsu but he did provide a name which takes care of this bit:-

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    The kicker is the person claiming to teach it, Larry L. Flournoy, says he was taught Jiu jitsu/ Ju Jutsu by a person in their basement, in Chinatown but, he doesn't remember their name.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 5:31am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    This next bit sets off an alarm for me:
    "Iaido is perhaps the most philosophically oriented of all Japanese martial arts, and it is also one of the least understood. One reason for this may be that the practical aspects of the art overshadow its true essence: perfection of character through commitment to martial practice."

To me, this implies that they think you will learn to fight from a martial art that isn't based on fighting. I have never heard of this martial art before (not saying it doesn't exist), but it seems to be a lot like the Ki Ju Jutsu they offer which they state is like Tai Chi.
    If you've never heard of Iaido before, how the **** can you comment on how it apparently sets off your alarm ?

Iai is a generic Nihongo term referring to Japanese swordsmanship - specifically the skills which include how to employ a sword which is not yet drawn from a scabbard.

There were literally hundreds of legitimate schools around Japan during the feudal era, some of which still exist to this day.

Now, your definition of "fighting" will almost always differ from that of a student of a koryu (old school) martial tradition, primarily because those skills contained within koryu - in this case, a sword system, are not practical for self defence or competitively orientated in a modern sense. So, your self-confessed lack of knowledge in a traditional Japanese martial tradition should have required no comment on your part, because, frankly, you're talking out of your ass. (again)

Had you known what you were talking about, the real question to have posed would have been, what method of Iaido is taught and what organisation do they belong to. These questions would relate (in part) to the authenticity and quality of the study.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 5:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To address the question of Iaido within the context of the thread:

Having looked at the website I assume they study Zen Nippon Kendo Renmai Seitei Iai - this is a gendai (modern) form of iaido created by a committee of high ranking Japanese kenshi (swordsman).

Seitei Iai has a fundamental focus on self development and perfection of form however, it's original purpose was to teach shinai kendoka the means of operating with a Japanese sword rather than just the bamboo shinai used in training and competition.

Seitei Iai has however developed into a discipline in it's own right with a separate dan grading syllabus to that of Kendo. Although a modern system developed after the Meiji Restoration, it is based on much older kata from Koryu iai.

I can't comment of the quality of the instruction given at the school in question however, seitei iai is supposed to be a universal system of learning thus, one school should resemble another without variation on form. "Seitei" simply means standard or uniform.

I can't likewise comment on the instructor's qualifications to teach the Seitei Iai however the ZNKR maintains all legitimate dan grades, you can contact them in English here: http://www.kendo-fik.org/english-pag...-top-page.html
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/03/2013 6:25am at . Reason: Spelling DOH !
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast