Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 6:11pm

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fuzzy's competition thread.

1) I'm terrible, I know
    2) I'm getting better and hope to post footage of me winning the UK Arnis Alliance Tournament in February.
    3) Here's my competition footage playlist on the youtubes: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6C4733CE3661DC43

So, here we have:

2007 Cape of Storms Ju Jitsu Nationals, sport Ju Jitsu sparring:

Nationals is a misnomer, there are no regional qualifiers and entry is completely open.

The careful observer will notice that I have no idea what I'm doing in this fight.

2012 Doce Pares club tournament (about 4 weeks into training):

Last edited by Fuzzy; 11/27/2012 6:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 4:38am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fought at the British Open BCKEAI Tournament on Sunday, managed to get 7 fights, though I didn't win anything.

Here's some videos:

1 - Knife fight vs someone who I believe is a former(current?) national-level champion.

2 - Single Stick vs a black belt from my gym

3 - Single Stick vs one of my regular training partners.

After failing to advance in the above divisions I decided to enter the "Open Weapons, 5 entry, winner takes all" event, not because I had any illusions of winning anything but because I just wanted some more fights.

4 - Open Weapons, me with double sticks vs huge dude with a shinai. I won the "Warrior Spirit" award for this one, largely for not dying I think. Apparently I won this fight.

(Apologies if the video looks a bit disjointed, there was a little bit of a sportsmanship fail at one point and I decided not to include it)

5 - Open Weapons Double Stick vs Double Stick. This is me vs my instructor and goes about as well as you'd expect :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 4:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 - Open Weapons Double Stick vs Double Stick (fight for 3rd place), just me being outclassed.

All in all a lot of fun and I'm very glad I entered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2013 3:18am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I got my **** wrecked yesterday. I was told to expect a "semi/controlled-contact" bout with no knees. What I got was full contact with a guy 5kgs heavier than me.

Fair play to him he was a much better and more experienced fighter than me. Next time I will just prepare for full contact, full rules and dial it back as necessary.

Lessons learned:
    Fight at 65kgs
    HANDS THE **** UP YOU IDIOT.
    Expect him to hit harder than you're expecting.

Great show overall though, if a bit disoragnised rules-wise, we put up 5 fighters:
    Me, K1, expecting not-full-contact and no knees, Loss, TKO by nose explody.
    One full-contact MMA (he was told to expect bodyshots only) Win, submission - Guillotine
    One bodyshot-only MMA (both fighters were expecting headshots) Loss, Decision
    One submission wrestling (he was expecting bodyshot MMA and K1) Loss, Submission - arm triangle
    One full-contact MMA (I think. Somehow this guy ended up in a round robin and fought twice?)
    Round 1 - Win, opponent refused to tap to a guillotine, went sleepytime.
    Round 2 - Loss, Points (I believe)

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 5:10am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    So I got my **** wrecked yesterday. I was told to expect a "semi/controlled-contact" bout with no knees. What I got was full contact with a guy 5kgs heavier than me.

Fair play to him he was a much better and more experienced fighter than me. Next time I will just prepare for full contact, full rules and dial it back as necessary.

Lessons learned:
    Fight at 65kgs
    HANDS THE **** UP YOU IDIOT.
    Expect him to hit harder than you're expecting.

Great show overall though, if a bit disoragnised rules-wise, we put up 5 fighters:
    Me, K1, expecting not-full-contact and no knees, Loss, TKO by nose explody.
    One full-contact MMA (he was told to expect bodyshots only) Win, submission - Guillotine
    One bodyshot-only MMA (both fighters were expecting headshots) Loss, Decision
    One submission wrestling (he was expecting bodyshot MMA and K1) Loss, Submission - arm triangle
    One full-contact MMA (I think. Somehow this guy ended up in a round robin and fought twice?)
    Round 1 - Win, opponent refused to tap to a guillotine, went sleepytime.
    Round 2 - Loss, Points (I believe)
    You could do with more head movement. But more important is more full contact sparring and drills, your guard even when up isn't effective. Are you closing your eyes on impact?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 5:46am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    You could do with more head movement. But more important is more full contact sparring and drills, your guard even when up isn't effective. Are you closing your eyes on impact?
    Yeah, I'm really terrible at head movement, and like I said, I hadn't been preparing for full contact. Next time I will know better.

Edit: I may have been closing my eyes, I honestly don't remember much of the fight.

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 12:30pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like he had a significant height/reach advantage too - you ate a lot of shots just getting close enough to punch him (what we refer to in my club as "range tax").

You did well though, despite his advantages. And yes, hit hard and let the ref tell you if it's excessive or not.

Are you a natural southpaw, or is that something you've developed through your arnis (which is my situation. I'm a rightie who fights southpaw)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 12:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Looks like he had a significant height/reach advantage too - you ate a lot of shots just getting close enough to punch him (what we refer to in my club as "range tax").

You did well though, despite his advantages. And yes, hit hard and let the ref tell you if it's excessive or not.

Are you a natural southpaw, or is that something you've developed through your arnis (which is my situation. I'm a rightie who fights southpaw)
    I'm a Southpaw by virtue of JKD, I did it pretty intensively in 2006 and my brain got stuck that way. I've thought about trying to transition to Orthodox but it seems like a lot of hard work.

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 2:46pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a Southpaw by virtue of JKD, I did it pretty intensively in 2006 and my brain got stuck that way. I've thought about trying to transition to Orthodox but it seems like a lot of hard work.
    <shrug> a former student of mine went from arnis to amateur boxing, and knocked out an opponent with a jab thanks to the switched lead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 4:11am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally some footage from the stickfighting competition at the Martial Arts Expo in Coventry last month.

Small event so only one fight each unless you won, in which case you'd have 2.

WEKAF style fight vs a Cacoy Doce Pares black belt, loss due to disarms, gassed out badly:

Padded stick fight vs a Guba Doce Pares instructor. This fight was SO MUCH FUN for some reason, I really enjoyed it: