Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 1:29am

Style: MMA, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

My 2nd No-Gi competition, Malta Grappling Challenge 2

Last weekend I participated in my 2nd no-gi event, and I must say I'm really pleased with the result obtained. Got silver in the Welterweight category, and a bronze in the Open Weight category. I know that after just a year and a half's training my game's still got plenty to improve on, but it's a massive improvement on my performance in Malta Grappling Challenge 1 in 2012 where I sucked huge donkey balls (albeit with just 4 months training, here's the link to last year's thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...796&highlight= )

So, here's the videos from this year's event. I'm the guy with a shaved head and a white rashguard with the Team Smasher logo on the back.

Welterweight Match 1, victory on points:

Welterweight Match 2, victory on points:

Welterweight Final, loss by submission: (I'd already lost to this guy earlier this year in a gi competition. I'm still not at his skill level, but I'm pleased that I put up much more of a fight this time around, and hopefully closed the gap somewhat).

Open weight semi-final, loss by submission: (This guy was bigger and way more skilled and experienced than I was, he steam rollered through the heavyweight division. I knew beating him was very unlikely but decided to put up the best resistance I could. Even though this was a loss, it was the match I enjoyed the most!)

Any comments and feedback welcome :)

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job, Rarius!

Great that you have the video to analyze and work on some mistakes (I am sure you did/will go through the fights with your instructor).

I liked how you kept on pushing and tried attacking. A repeated thing that I think you should work on is what to do once you mount someone (maybe variations of kimura - I saw you having one of their arms trapped, that is a good starting point, if you hold it tight...)

But most importantly: you competed and did well. Just keep at it. :)

Your name was like a meme - it got shouted a hundred times combined... :D

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 3:12pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Good job, Rarius!

Great that you have the video to analyze and work on some mistakes (I am sure you did/will go through the fights with your instructor).

I liked how you kept on pushing and tried attacking. A repeated thing that I think you should work on is what to do once you mount someone (maybe variations of kimura - I saw you having one of their arms trapped, that is a good starting point, if you hold it tight...)

But most importantly: you competed and did well. Just keep at it. :)

Your name was like a meme - it got shouted a hundred times combined... :D
    Thanks mate :) Yes my instructors, after saying well done for the result, immediately got me to work on my mistakes and weaknesses today at training in fact! :)

The one I was told I need to work on the most was sweeps from half guard, as I spent a lot of time in that position (and although I almost got a sweep a couple of times, I never did manage to pull one off really).

You're right that submissions from mount aren't my forte. That failed armbar attempt in my first match kinda drained my confidence to try more of them during the competition. I prefer to attack submissions from sidemount, but somehow yesterday never found myself there (contrary to what happens in training a lot, where I usually get side mount and rarely get full mount!).

Re-my name being like a meme, I had LOTS of support from my team mates (I train with 2 clubs actually, BJJ Team Malta, and Team Smasher MMA), it sure helped a lot knowing they were there during my matches. We have a great team spirit in both clubs and I guess it shows in the videos :)

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 11:08am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great video, great effort. The blue lagoon is a beautiful place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 2:51pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice and aggressive, that's good. In that first match, you've got to catch a lot deeper for that arm bar and hug it to your body. It's a bit tough to see if you tried that, but by the time you lay back, his arm is away from you and you're trying to catch his wrist. If dudes are even a little bit slippery, they'll pop out most of the time with that. Try catching his elbow, and smash it to you. That way he's less likely to slip, and if he does slide a bit, you've still got the wrist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 8:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    Nice and aggressive, that's good. In that first match, you've got to catch a lot deeper for that arm bar and hug it to your body. It's a bit tough to see if you tried that, but by the time you lay back, his arm is away from you and you're trying to catch his wrist. If dudes are even a little bit slippery, they'll pop out most of the time with that. Try catching his elbow, and smash it to you. That way he's less likely to slip, and if he does slide a bit, you've still got the wrist.
    Thanks mate, I'm not sure myself what happened in that armbar to be honest. One moment I was holding his arm, the next I was clutching empty air and falling on my arse! lol