Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 12:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

opposite stance principles/tips?

As a southpaw I'm on the lead to finding more concepts/principles and strategy then just different combinations. Same would work for an orthodox vs sp. What are the main things and extra when fighting someone of the opposite stance? Thank you

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 12:48am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your front foot has to be on the outside of his front foot.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 5:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Simply put, and it holds true.

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 7:31am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Foot on the outside is not everything.

Kenny Weldon is an advocate of focusing on having your lead hand on the outside of theirs, its great to have the foot on outside too but you wont always get it. With the hand on the outside you can shut down their jab & hook, baiting them into coming into your power side.

If you spar with leg kicks, practice putting a kick to their back leg on the end of your combos. Due to the lack of conditioning on that leg and that often people step back onto it from the combo you can chop out someone's leg in 2 good kicks. Its something i rarely see southpaws use.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 1:05pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I'll have to disagree.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 1:06pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I decide to delve into this, will the OP clarify what type of striking he's referring to?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 12:14pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP no response? Okay, well in that case let me elaborate on my first response. The most important thing a person has to remember when it comes to principals is understanding footwork in relationship to your profile. Most fighters fail to understand how to bring their respective strengths to the table. With the emergence of the sidekick as a go to maneuver in MMA (this is where I tell people, I told you so and I think Greg Jackson and Mike Winkljon have been performing ninja espionage in my school) it's important to realize where to place your foot and change your profile according to the weapons you want to bring to bear.

Foot on the outside will keep a person relatively safe but actually minimizes your ability to inflict damage. Like the Wing Chun principals and inside boxing strategy, the sweet attacks happen when you can take the inside center line. When you place your foot to the outside you're giving up your center line, and depending upon the person's fight profile moving into their power. This is fairly safe for normal 45 degree angle profile but not so much with the 90 degree fighters especially those who like to shift their profile from square to side like Sylva, Jones and Machida.

Posted On:
    12/29/2012 9:07pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Southpaw angles is something that interests me a lot, I've been playing around in sparring with fighters who've had the 'foot to the outside' mantra drilled into them and have had a lot of success punishing them for their predictability. If you know what your opponent is going to throw in advance, you look like you have super human reflexes when you counter them.

I have a big private log post about this topic but I think I'll sit on it for another year while i fully test out a few theories.

Omega - In the picture C below, is this a good position for red to throw a side kick (or spinning back kick)? If its a good position for it I may have to bite the bullet and learn how to throw a side kick (i think you posted a how to at some stage?).

Name:  Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 12.01.11 PM.png
Views: 65
Size:  13.7 KB
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/29/2012 9:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, or angle forward and invert your punching combos.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/29/2012 11:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lauzon and Miller fight.