• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 11:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

6 months sabbatical -what would you do? (Judo related)

Hi.

Next year I am really tempted to take a 6 month sabbatical from work. Would love to do something Judo related in that time, assuming I'm still enjoying it as much as I am at the moment.

I'm getting older and would love to do something a bit intensive and Judo related while I'm still young.

So, what would you do if you had 6 months free? Are there full time training courses open to amateurs?

Thanks!

Edit: Just read up about the Kodokan School of Judo. Looks exciting, but a huge undertaking both mentally and physically. Anyone have experience in training there?
    Last edited by timothius; 11/25/2012 11:50am at .

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on your experience, and how much you currently train, this may not be relevant to you, but a few years ago, I was between jobs for a few months (with enough savings that I wasn't killing myself looking for a new job) and I had loads of free time to train.

At that time I think I had about 2 years of very irregular training - probably going once a week and missing a session here and there on top of that. Basically I was only kidding myself that I was training.

So when I was unemployed and had a load of time on my hands, I started to look for stuff to do. I went to both classes my judo club had each week. I also joined a BJJ place that was 10 minutes walk from my flat, took the unlimited classes option and started training 6 days a week. I also started going to the gym on top of that.

I wasn't training anywhere fancy, but I was training a lot, and I improved more in my first month than I had in my first year. No exaggeration.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I think just putting in the hours is the most important thing, and provided your teacher is moderately competent you can do that anywhere. Try and find the best place you can, but in the end as long as you pick a place where you can train plenty of hours in a week, you should be good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 11:37pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    Hi.

Next year I am really tempted to take a 6 month sabbatical from work. Would love to do something Judo related in that time, assuming I'm still enjoying it as much as I am at the moment.

I'm getting older and would love to do something a bit intensive and Judo related while I'm still young.

So, what would you do if you had 6 months free? Are there full time training courses open to amateurs?

Thanks!

Edit: Just read up about the Kodokan School of Judo. Looks exciting, but a huge undertaking both mentally and physically. Anyone have experience in training there?
    In the 90's i used to make extended trips to the Kodokan. I would not reccomend it to anyone under the level ot Ikyu. What is your judo level?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 3:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    In the 90's i used to make extended trips to the Kodokan. I would not reccomend it to anyone under the level ot Ikyu. What is your judo level?
    From his posting history, he's a rokkyu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 6:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    You could always phone around a few clubs, it would have to be a club with full time (and probably elite) players but they may be able to help you out.

Depending where you live there may be a number of decent clubs where you could fill your evening with classes.

Would love to visit the Kodokan one day

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 7:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train as much as you are feasibly able. If that is five sessions or three, go for it.