Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    The sparring was not done with what this site would refer to as "aliveness". The slow compliant dancing you see in this video is very representative of the randori demonstration they gave.

happy to hate **** your S.E. hippy ass into the dirt to prove this point
    You didn't watch the entire video, did you, so you missed a lot.

There is competition footage in this video, guess you missed that too?

This is the CMA forum, you don't get to troll and drop general Thorntonisms here any more than I could go shitpost in the FMA forums.

Please provide a qualified detailed opinion or GTFO.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/19/2012 9:06pm at .

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You didn't watch the entire video, did you, so you missed a lot.

There is competition footage in this video, guess you missed that too?.
    Watched it twice now and cannot find the "competition" you speak of.

The MMA sparing is new since I went there. At least they are presure testing against each other now. I did not see them presure testing against anybody else though.

The "multiple opponent" section represents the Randori I spoke of. Believe me, they are not trying to challenge the monkey in the middle to any great degree. Contact is as light as possible if it is made at all.

98% of that vid is straight out of the demo I saw. I've seen these routines performed not ten feet away.

This is their website. I see no mention of a fight team or competition outside the school. They will teach you Capoeira though...
    http://www.academyofkungfu.org/about

This is the CMA forum, you don't get to drop general Thorntonisms here. Please provide a qualified opinion or GTFO.
    I've been there in person. I've spoken to these people. I've seen them do the demo live.

I'm not shitting on them. I'm just calling it as it really is. Great place to work out and make friends. Bad place if you have dreams of going pro someday.

That is my first hand report. If it isn't good enough for you, by all means travel out here and go party with the MDP crew so you can find out for yourself. They were very nice people in my experience.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watched it twice now and cannot find the "competition" you speak of.
    It is hard to spot, but I'm such a meanie I won't tell you where it is.

At least they are presure testing against each other now
    That was my thought as well.

I'm not shitting on them. I'm just calling it as it really is. Great place to work out and make friends.
    OK sounds like an endorsement of some sort...thanks for clarifying.

Bad place if you have dreams of going pro someday.
    That's the thing...not sure this thread ever about going "pro".

In all seriousness the training here looks better and more comprehensive (chinups?!?!?) with more non-compliant training than most CMA schools I've seen.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/19/2012 10:16pm at .

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK sounds like an endorsement of some sort...thanks for clarifying.
    Absolutely! For fitness and MA fun it's probably one of the better options in town. Really nice facility, always looks clean. Friendly, supportive staff. Really inviting atmosphere.

That's the thing...not sure this thread ever about going "pro".
    If that's the case, OP could do a lot worse than MDP.

In all seriousness the training here looks better and more comprehensive (chinups?!?!?) with more non-compliant training than most CMA schools I've seen.
    For sure! The senior students doing the demo were all very healthy people. IIRC they were big into weighted clubs / kettle bells and intense drilling based on calisthenic excersises for basic conditioning. They were definitely NOT slouching in the workout department.

At the time they had a small gym room near the front of the building with some weights as well.

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really nice facility, always looks clean.
    Suffering from gym envy.

Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the help friends. They have a special right now. $20 for a month of classes and training. I think it sounds like a good place to start. I have no intentions of competing or going pro for now. Who knows what the future holds though. I'm in good shape but I turn 30 in December. Don't know how realistic going pro is for this guy.

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    Thank you for the help friends. They have a special right now. $20 for a month of classes and training. I think it sounds like a good place to start. I have no intentions of competing or going pro for now. Who knows what the future holds though. I'm in good shape but I turn 30 in December. Don't know how realistic going pro is for this guy.
    Have fun.

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    Have fun and lose the bias. I do not, nor will I EVER, understand this "going pro" bullshit that comes out of the mouths of TMAers or TMA hopefuls.

Your logical fallacy holds true for damn near every hobby, sport and Martial Art. For every "Pro" there are hundreds of thousand, if not MILLIONS, of people doing it for multiple reasons. Yes, that includes non-sport competitions.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/20/2012 5:08pm at .

Style
    Taijiquan
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Have fun and lose the bias. I do not, nor will I EVER, understand this "going pro" bullshit that comes out of the mouths of TMAers or TMA hopefuls.
    I think he was referring to Mr. Machette's comment; it was he who inexplicably brought up the idea of going pro.

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I think he was referring to Mr. Machette's comment; it was he who inexplicably brought up the idea of going pro.
    Guilty as charged.

I originally asked "what it was he wanted" from the school. Then people started running with it before the guy could even answer.

If you want to bag on someone for the pro vs. joe fallacy you can bag on me.

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last