Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    None at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self defense training in Austin, TX

Hi all, complete newb here. I've just read the excellent essay on finding a school/gym. I wonder if I could get some more precise info to add to that.

I'm looking for training in self defense, but I see that as covering several things, and they don't need to come from the one place. (If they did however, that could be useful.) They are:

1. Firearm training: concealed carry, tactical shooting, etc
    2. Unarmed defense training (but perhaps with a view to dealing with a knife/club-armed assailant)
    3. Fitness training in support of self defense
    4. "Other" stuff. I don't really know what to call this, but it's a combination of whatever kind of attitude training is possible for self defense, plus stuff like situational awareness (e.g. park facing outwards in a parking lot). Legal would also be needed. Aim would be to help me learn how to slow escalation of an encounter where needed, act decisively but legally when need, and so on.

Of the above, the one I need most help with is point 2, followed by point 4. I already know how to find the other two. But as I said, it could be useful to get them all wrapped into one. Certainly, a single person who could handle 1, 2 and 4 would be good.

And yeah, I know, I could also add "How to leap tall buildings in a single bound" and "How to run faster than a speeding bullet"! :-) I know. It's a lot of stuff! I'll explain in another post what has triggered all this.

Context, background, and what I've found out so far. In no particular order

* I'm 51 and extremely out of shape. I have a fairly constant back injury which although will still let me train means I am extremely inflexible at the waist. I also need to lose over 100lbs to be near "ideal" weight
    * In the past (more than 10 years ago) I have dabbled (a couple of years at most, often less, in any one) in several martial arts: karate (shotokai), jeet-kune do (taught by some students of Danny Inosanto), gracie jiu-jitsu, and a little western boxing. Although I didn't advance very far in any of them, I feel I saw enough to be reasonably happy that for my purposes, none of the very traditional MA's is appropriate. And I suspect that even a modern, "reality-based" (no criticism intended of the older arts) such as BJJ, would at best be only part of what I'm looking for. But to be honest, I don't think what I need is any kind of martial art.
    * I'm in Austin, TX and am looking for training here.
    * Reading around the topic, I see the name "Tony Blauer" mentioned a lot. I've visited his site, and read some of his stuff. From my newbie standpoint, he looks like exactly what I'd need, but unfortunately he's not in Austin, TX.
    * However, at least two groups in Austin claim some kind of certification from Blauer: Austin Martial arts and Robb Hamic at Summit Self Defense (sorry, I tried to give you links to both but as a newbie it seems I can't do that yet)
    * I have already contacted Blauer's place to ask if they can confirm those two's certification, but have heard nothing back yet
    * I am interested in self defense, not in street fighting :-) I'm only interested in handing people their ass to the extent it is needed to stop them handing me mine. So by far the most important aspect of what I'm looking for is realism.
    * Money is not a major issue. And I'd be happy to pay for purely one on one training if that was optimal. (As you can imagine, that leaves me open to being a sucker, which is where you guys can help!)

OK, so some specific questions:
    1. Could anyone offer an opinion on Blauer? Is he the real deal?
    2. Even if Blauer is good stuff, do you think his certification programs are effective in passing his teaching skills to others? (Or is he just a very high end McDojo type as was mentioned in the essay)
    3. Anyone know about/of either Austin Martial Arts, or SummitSelfDefense in Austin, TX? Care to comment?
    4. Any other recommendations for Austin, TX trainers?

Sorry for the brain dump. Hope someone can help me as I close in on identifying a trainer.

Oh, and feel free to comment on anything relevant that's outside the above questions. All thoughtful input -- especially if it's based on experience -- welcome.

thx!

Style
    ALIVE!
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Based on your criteria I very strongly recommend training with the Austin Branch of the Central Texas Combatives Training Group.

HerbM, who is a member here, leads the weekly combatives classes there and the larger group has weekend events that fit all your requirements and much more.

Call Herb @512-731-6131 to try out his class at no cost, and check out some of our pages for more info:

http://www.facebook.com/ctctg
    http://www.combativestraininggroup.com

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island
    Style
    DT Instructor
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty slick with a handgun. If you feel like coming down to New Braunfels one weekend, I"ll be happy to show you the basics.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings auchtermuchtie, I am hoping to train with SteveM myself at some point. I can think of no higher recommendation for someone I haven't met yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    I'm pretty slick with a handgun. If you feel like coming down to New Braunfels one weekend, I"ll be happy to show you the basics.
    Really? I didn't realize you lived close to me. We'll have to get together at some point. I'm always eager for firearm instruction.
    Shut the hell up and train.

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island
    Style
    DT Instructor
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Greetings auchtermuchtie, I am hoping to train with SteveM myself at some point. I can think of no higher recommendation for someone I haven't met yet.

Really? I didn't realize you lived close to me. We'll have to get together at some point. I'm always eager for firearm instruction.

Style
    None at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Thanks. That's a useful +1 for those guys. I had actually seen some of their meetup notices but for some reason I thought they were in Kileen.

Anyone got any info on Robb Hamic at http://summitselfdefense.com/?

Style
    ^_^
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido. Based on your criteria I very strongly recommend training with the Austin Branch of the Central Texas Combatives Training Group.

HerbM, who is a member here, leads the weekly combatives classes there and the larger group has weekend events that fit all your requirements and much more.
    From their board:

As you say, my Systema background ensures that I prefer that everyone learn to ACTUALLY HIT a human being, and to learn to ABSORB and DISSIPATE even heavy hits without pain or damage.
    Get out while you still have your soul.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Style
    None at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    From their board:

As you say, my Systema background ensures that I prefer that everyone learn to ACTUALLY HIT a human being, and to learn to ABSORB and DISSIPATE even heavy hits without pain or damage.
    Get out while you still have your soul.
    Sorry, you'll have to excuse my humor impaired state as a newbie, but are you saying the quote suggests they should be avoided, or that they are genuine?

Style
    None at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    Thanks Charles, I really appreciate that. I may take you up on the offer. New Braunfels is a bit further than I usually travel but it would be a good excuse for when the next time wife moans at me for not going with her to the outlets at San Marcos. She'll still moan when I kick her out the car at the stores and keep heading south, but them's the breaks :-)

I note your profile says you're LEO (and MIL). Is LEO specifically police officer, or can it refer to other things too?

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by auchtermuchtie View Post

I note your profile says you're LEO (and MIL). Is LEO specifically police officer, or can it refer to other things too?
    It can mean a Corrections officer as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last