Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    ppct
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IKI Krav Maga/ Moshe Katz

Anyone familiar with Katz's Krav Maga...its all that's available, as far as Krav Maga, in my area. Is it bullshido?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

top knot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to The Bullshido forum. I hope you enjoy your stay. You'll ahve to give us something more to go on, such as: Where are you?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is krav a western MA??

Style
    ppct
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the Scranton/Willes-Barre area of PA. No krav except IKI. Moshe Katz is the instructor's teacher. Just looking for some input on this system of krav. Thanx.

Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by k12cop View Post
    I'm in the Scranton/Willes-Barre area of PA. No krav except IKI. Moshe Katz is the instructor's teacher. Just looking for some input on this system of krav. Thanx.

Okay, Katz learned Krav from the same guy that my instructor learned from, Itay Gil. In that sense he is legit. However, he's one of those guys that has a lot of distance learning options to become an instructor... which can be a red flag.

Likely the instructor of this school learned Krav from someone else, and then sprung for a tour to Israel, or some DVDs... well, I hope you get the picture. There is the possibility that he did learn directly from Moshe, but that would mean some long trips to Israel.

Understand, I like Krav. I think its effective. Marketing has made it the home of some of the biggest McDojos this side of TKD.

So my suggestion - take a class. Weapon disarms should be done with vigor. There should be hard sparring (you should need boxing gloves, a mouthpiece, a cup, and shin guards). Live self defense training should not consist of solely "red man suit" opponents.

Basically, if you really want to take Krav to learn to defend yourself, you have to actually put yourself in positions where you *have* to defend yourself. That's the only way it works.

One last thing, while you're there, talk to the instructor, and don't be afraid to ask him questions about his credentials in a respectful manner. How long he's trained and with who should not be taboo subjects. Ask about sparring, and training against resisting opponents, if you didn't see any. (Although I would be wary of any school that didn't have a lot of resistance in their training).

Best of luck!

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, Krav Maga isn't a "Western martial art" and this thread would probably fit better into this forum - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65 .

Style
    ppct
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    Okay, Katz learned Krav from the same guy that my instructor learned from, Itay Gil. In that sense he is legit. However, he's one of those guys that has a lot of distance learning options to become an instructor... which can be a red flag.

Likely the instructor of this school learned Krav from someone else, and then sprung for a tour to Israel, or some DVDs... well, I hope you get the picture. There is the possibility that he did learn directly from Moshe, but that would mean some long trips to Israel.

Understand, I like Krav. I think its effective. Marketing has made it the home of some of the biggest McDojos this side of TKD.

So my suggestion - take a class. Weapon disarms should be done with vigor. There should be hard sparring (you should need boxing gloves, a mouthpiece, a cup, and shin guards). Live self defense training should not consist of solely "red man suit" opponents.

Basically, if you really want to take Krav to learn to defend yourself, you have to actually put yourself in positions where you *have* to defend yourself. That's the only way it works.

One last thing, while you're there, talk to the instructor, and don't be afraid to ask him questions about his credentials in a respectful manner. How long he's trained and with who should not be taboo subjects. Ask about sparring, and training against resisting opponents, if you didn't see any. (Although I would be wary of any school that didn't have a lot of resistance in their training).

Best of luck!
    Thanx...he has a picture with Moshe Katz, and has trained with him...the fact that the lineage includes Itay Gil is what really drew me...starting class next week, no contracts, which is a plus if its not what I'm looking for...thanx again.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    For the record, Krav Maga isn't a "Western martial art"...
    What exactly is the definition of a Western MA?

Because KM was founded by a Hungarian Jew, Imi Lichtenfeld, a successful wrestler, boxer and jiu jitsu player, in the heart of Europe. It was named as such only after he moved to (soon to be) Israel, but it was created and first used in street fights against Nazi thugs in Bratislava, (today) Slovakia.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may be worth noting that this thread was originally posted in the WMA forum, and we've been trying to keep that forum from turning into a MAP-style "every-non-Asian-martial-art-goes-here" miscellaneous file.

By common usage, a WMA is a codified fighting skill/style developed as part of an indigenous European cultural tradition. HEMA (historical European martial arts) form a large subset of modern WMA practice, referring to the revival of arts which either became extinct or radically changed over time; for example, modern foil fencing could broadly be described as a Western martial sport, but Salvatore Fabris' 1606 rapier fencing system is squarely HEMA. Living lineage WMA styles tend to be specific to certain European countries or regions (e.g., the juego del palo stick fighting of the Canary Islands)

The inclusion of jujitsu and other non-European elements disqualifies KM (and Bartitsu, in many peoples' opinions) and the fact that it's continued to evolve in Israel and internationally since WW2 places it in the eclectic modern combatives stream alongside Defendo/du, Arwrology, et al.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clarification, DdIR.

Although I do not practise KM and am well aware of the wildly varying range of quality/aliveness within the many branches and schools of it, it has a special place in my heart because it originates from my city.

Plus its base is 2 European MAs (wrestling and boxing) with only 1 Asian (jiu jitsu) added. :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Page 1 of 2 12 Last