Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 4:41am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga would work well against the average thug. Though on it's own not very much against a trained fighter regardless of style. Still one to consider. However, I would advice Jeet Kune Do the Tommy Carruthers approach. But also put some grappling in the mix in case you get rushed. Of which there is a good chance of happening when they notice you can throw a punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 4:45am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy96 View Post
    Hey :D

I've talked to my friend who's done judo for ages and she's invited me to come to her club. Her father is the Sensai there and she said that as soon as he thinks I can breakfall they start doing full-on sparring, which sounds good :)

Should I do another martial art (if I do, preferably a striking one) or should I focus on this one for now?

Go and try it before you decide

I would focus on one for a while at least. You will get a lot more out of Judo the more you train it, one a week isn't really enough so say you take two lessons

To add another style to it requires 3 days a week of MA which I would guess it a bit change from what you are doing. Everyone is different but I have seen it lead to burn out

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 6:57am

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone say "sprinting" yet?

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 7:14am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    I say **** it all and go live with the pikeys for a few months. They will teach you how to beat the **** out of anybody who even dares to try to attempt to think about walking down the same street as you with no shame. Once you have learnt how to do that they will teach you how to live off the land (or other peoples at least) and then get by asking people if you can fight them for their dog. If that fails, the least you will learn is how not to pay your taxes and drive around in stolen vehicles without being bothered by the law!

Or you could try Muay Thai if you wanna kick/punch people.
    So, you don't like Pikeys? i couldn't understand. BTW hating those travelers gypsies isn't racist?

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 7:16am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai View Post
    Krav Maga would work well against the average thug. Though on it's own not very much against a trained fighter regardless of style. Still one to consider. However, I would advice Jeet Kune Do the Tommy Carruthers approach. But also put some grappling in the mix in case you get rushed. Of which there is a good chance of happening when they notice you can throw a punch.
    Jeet kung fu is **** as ****! Why are you advocating such crap? Do you have any evidence it works?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 8:26am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    So, you don't like Pikeys? i couldn't understand. BTW hating those travelers gypsies isn't racist?
    Well they're not a race, so it couldn't really be racism now could it? We "hate" them for cultural and behavioural reasons.
    And because they are unwashed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 8:33am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Jeet kung fu is **** as ****! Why are you advocating such crap? Do you have any evidence it works?
    First off, the quality and material taught totally depends on the school/instructor. As always. I agree there is a lot of garbage out there and a lot of schools tend to over emphasize on the technical forgetting it's all about the fight. I advice Tommy Carruthers take on JKD because his training is hardcore any way you look at it. And I'm not referring to the demo vid that's circulates on YT. He's got a few vids on his FB-page that give an impression of the things he does during his classes (https://www.facebook.com/#!/thomas.carruthers.12). I don't know if it's open to the general public. But if not, let me know. I'll try and see if I relay one of his vids another way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 12:08pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on judo for awhile. If you're training hard its going to take some time for your body to adapt anyway, so expect to be sore for awhile. I wouldn't think about adding a striking art until judo becomes a fairly routine workout.

:)

Posted On:
    11/23/2012 4:46am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're gonna have a "fair go" boxing is the thing. If your concern is jumped by groups of travellers, get some quality running shoes.

Nothing you train will turn a group stomp into str33t victory. Work on your situational awareness.

Train in a combat sport. Judo, Boxing, Kick boxong, Muay Thai, and leave asshole friends at home when you go out. More trouble than they're worth.

Let's see, what else? Avoid Aikido, get your cardio and conditioning up.

Posted On:
    11/23/2012 4:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai View Post
    First off, the quality and material taught totally depends on the school/instructor. As always. I agree there is a lot of garbage out there and a lot of schools tend to over emphasize on the technical forgetting it's all about the fight. I advice Tommy Carruthers take on JKD because his training is hardcore any way you look at it. And I'm not referring to the demo vid that's circulates on YT. He's got a few vids on his FB-page that give an impression of the things he does during his classes (https://www.facebook.com/#!/thomas.carruthers.12). I don't know if it's open to the general public. But if not, let me know. I'll try and see if I relay one of his vids another way.
    Can't see any videos just stills.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast