Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy96 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a weekend job, going judo, and just telling them I'm going to gym when I am going to judo.
    Don't lie to your parents

get a job, keep out of trouble and persist with your request

*edit* Join the local rugby team.

It will make you fit, tough, and is an excellent preperation for judo
    You will also get a team of guys to back you up

No body wants to fight a rugby team, apart from another rugby team of coarse, which is the only flaw to the plan
    Last edited by doofaloofa; 11/25/2012 11:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cant play rugby well. I used to be able to but in year 8 my right knee started playing up (I have a joint problem which affects all my joints, but my right knee is the worst) which basically means that running is incredibly painful. I can run on a treadmill because there isn't much impact on my knee, but running on a regular floor/playing pitch for long is agonizing

I'm already fit though, I work out 4-6 times a week :)

But considering it took them about 6 months to give in and let me join the gym, it'll probably take about a year to let me join a martial arts club, so I'll have to lie. Or at least just say I'm going out, and not say where.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cant play rugby well. I used to be able to but in year 8 my right knee started playing up (I have a joint problem which affects all my joints, but my right knee is the worst) which basically means that running is incredibly painful. I can run on a treadmill because there isn't much impact on my knee, but running on a regular floor/playing pitch for long is agonizing

I'm already fit though, I work out 4-6 times a week :)

But considering it took them about 6 months to give in and let me join the gym, it'll probably take about a year to let me join a martial arts club, so I'll have to lie. Or at least just say I'm going out, and not say where.
    If you lie to your parents, they will find out and they wont be pleased

Talk to them and find a compromise

How many fights do you get into per week?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say I average even one fight a week anymore. I never start fights, it's just people on occasion start on me. But due to being arrested for assault (but never prosecuted, as all were self-defence) my parents are really worried that I may get prosecuted some time, or expelled :\

EDIT: I used to get into loads of fights though.
    Last edited by Eddy96; 11/25/2012 3:26pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 3:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say I average even one fight a week anymore. I never start fights, it's just people on occasion start on me. But due to being arrested for assault (but never prosecuted, as all were self-defence) my parents are really worried that I may get prosecuted some time, or expelled :\
    I figured there was something you were leaving out of your earlier, my parents cater to my brother, story. You were arrested for assault? Interesting, were the other people arrested for assault as well?

Kids, especially teens, forget they are a LIABILITY issue for their parents. If you repeatedly get into trouble, expulsion and prosecution don't come out of nowhere, I understand your parents reservation.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Which Martial Art is right for me?

EDIT: I used to get into loads of fights though.
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but your parents are right. It is very easy to get yourself into trouble with martial arts.

You should work on deescalation tactics. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you don't start the fights, but I'm willing to bet the conversation leading up to the fight goes something like this:

Bully: I told you you better not come around here any more, I'm gonna kick your ass.
    You: Dude, I don't want to fight. I just want to go home.
    Bully: What? You scared?
    Crowd: Oooooohhhhhhhh. You gonna take that?
    You: RARRRGGGHHHHHHH HULK SMASH!!!

You know you're doing something right when you don't even have to throw a punch or have one thrown.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 5:13pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ PDA I weigh 11 1/2 stone, that is considered big for a child.
    But for a sixteen year old child? I was over six foot by the time I was 16, and weighed about 15 stone. Rugby, son, rugby. Or row, something that might bulk you up.

Joint problems are a shame, but if you can't run, how do you qualify yourself as fit? Can you swim without problems?

Getting a job and paying for your MA yourself could go some way to bringing your parents around, if they see you are taking more responsibility for yourself.

PS. I'm not suggesting rugby will make you taller.

PPS. Wreck that bitch, come on dude, you're only sixteen once.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In once case the other guy was arrested, in the other they (the travellers) ran off and I've only been arrested a couple of times. Both times I was released within a few hours of my arrest.

And no, that's not how fights start with me. I wont fight if some guy is dissing me, only if he's thrown a punch/kick/whatever.

And yeah, I swim. But more often bike and row.

EDIT: If I wasn't autistic, it's probably likely I would have been in more trouble.
    Last edited by Eddy96; 11/26/2012 3:10am at .

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 3:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, sorry if I've somehow offended people. (Which I assume I did, based on the mocking replies)

When I said style, I didn't mean it in the sense of a martial art, just what I usually do when someone starts on me. (Which is pretty regular, as I have a friend who is often started on as he is unpopular, and I step in, as I dont like people smaller than me being beaten up by some dick, just cos the dick is bored.

Also on the traveller thing, I genuinely didn't do anything. The fair was in town (they organize it) and when it is there are a lot of teenage travellers roaming around and when I was walking home some attacked me.

I'm going to try out boxing again, and I've tried judo, but the local judo group which is the only one where I happen to know isn't some shitty mc dojo where you go for 2 years and come out a black belt is too far away for me to regularly attend.
    yeah, that's what I said.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 11:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In once case the other guy was arrested, in the other they (the travellers) ran off and I've only been arrested a couple of times. Both times I was released within a few hours of my arrest.
    As an ADULT, you honsetly do not understand how funny this sounds coming from a 16 year old. A couple, when used in this context, rarely means two. Even if it is two, that shows a pattern.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast