I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 4:49am

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am envious of you Eddy

I didn't start judo till my late 30's

At 16, if you work hard at judo, cross train a decent striking art in 10 years you will be a weapon

Alas I started late and the best I can hope for is to be a tool, all be it a sharp tool

Now get out there and train DAMN IT!

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 7:35am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    The fair fight thing doesn't exist outside sanctioned competition. I always told people either not to have a problem with the fact that I don't fight fair, or not to **** with me.
    First that isn't true, there are many cases where you fight, and keep it "fair" i.e no weapons and no escalation of the fight, while your and his bodies stand and back you up if something like that happens.
    Second, if fair fighting does not exist, why bother with all those sport arts?"

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 8:36am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    First that isn't true, there are many cases where you fight, and keep it "fair" i.e no weapons and no escalation of the fight, while your and his bodies stand and back you up if something like that happens.
    Second, if fair fighting does not exist, why bother with all those sport arts?"
    If you are keeping it "fair", that is the competition I was referring to. In the area you live, are there established rules for mixing it up on the mean streets? If so, do people actually follow these rules?

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 8:49am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    If you are keeping it "fair", that is the competition I was referring to. In the area you live, are there established rules for mixing it up on the mean streets? If so, do people actually follow these rules?

Everybody knows that as long as you dont use weapons its a regular fight with no police and gail time, usually it is kept this way. if not it escalates bad and quick.
    my point is that regular sport MA are really enough even in the mean streets of israel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 2:45am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    So, you don't like Pikeys? i couldn't understand. BTW hating those travelers gypsies isn't racist?
    Personally, no I don't like them. I've had some situations with them which would make me feel uneasy about them. As mentioned by somebody else here, they are not a race, so no it's not racist.
    As mentioned though, OP, if you really want to not get into any bad situations then simply avoid them at all costs. Otherwise, be prepared to fight, but no amount of MA training will prepare you fully (In short time at least) for taking on a bunch of unruly travelers with bad attitudes and worse personal hygene!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 3:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found the Judo Club I'm going to join, but how do I persuade my parents to let me join? I've asked to do martial arts before and it's generally always been answered with "you fight too much now, how much more would you fight when you're a martial art expert"
    (I obviously wouldn't become an expert, but y'know parents are stupid.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 4:36am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy96 View Post
    I've found the Judo Club I'm going to join, but how do I persuade my parents to let me join? I've asked to do martial arts before and it's generally always been answered with "you fight too much now, how much more would you fight when you're a martial art expert"
    (I obviously wouldn't become an expert, but y'know parents are stupid.
    Tell them judo is not a martial art but an Olympic (yes, do use itallics when you tell them) sport. This time you spend putting your natural aggression toward a possible Olympic gold would be excellent use of thier money
    The time you spend training for Olympic competition, with good male role models is time spent away from drinking cider on the street corner with hoodie chavs, learning how to steal cars and good places to stash a shank.

Oh yes its an Olympic sport. Say that a few more times (you could be ready for 2020...)

Bring them along to meet your new sensei

Get a paper round and pay your own way. Your 16, old enough to be a father, old enough to be a man

This technique works for boxing and wrestling also

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 8:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried telling them it's a sport, but no dice. Which is unfair as they let my brother do karate, which is a striking art, so could be argued to be more violent. And I even pulled the grandpa card (my pop was a judo champion) and that didn't work :\

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 9:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy96 View Post
    I've tried telling them it's a sport, but no dice. Which is unfair as they let my brother do karate, which is a striking art, so could be argued to be more violent. And I even pulled the grandpa card (my pop was a judo champion) and that didn't work :\
    Bummer dude

Run away and join the circus? (joke)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 9:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm thinking about getting a weekend job, going judo, and just telling them I'm going to gym when I am going to judo.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast