Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:42am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My current training schedule

I'm currently training 5 days a week (twice a day), with training split between gym, BJJ & MMA classes.

Prior to starting martial arts I've been doing weight training at the gym for the past 7 years, but only started BJJ & MMA 4 months ago.

All my gym sessions consist of 6 exercises of 3 sets each (12 reps/10reps/8reps for each set).

Here's my current schedule, any advice if it's too much/too little, or if it needs any changes please?

Monday AM: Gym focusing on chest & arms
    Monday PM: BJJ gi session (1 hour physical & drills; 1 hour rolling)

Tuesday AM: Gym focusing on legs
    Tueadsy PM: MMA Class focusing on striking (40 mins physical; 50 mins drills; 15 minutes sparring at the end)

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday AM: Gym focusing on back & shoulders
    Thursday PM: MMA class focusing on grappling and ground & pound (40 mins physical, 50 mins drills, 15 mins sparring at the end)

Friday AM: Gym focusing on circuit training using kettlebells (Instead of the 6 exercises/3 sets I use in the other sessions, I do 5 exercises for 1 minute each, repeating each circuit 3 times. It's the least time consuming, but cardio wise most demanding session of them all)
    Friday PM: BJJ no-gi session (30 mins physical & drills; 1 hour rolling)

Saturday AM: MMA class (40 mins physical, 50 mins drilling and mixing stuff we learned during the week; 15 mins sparring at the end)
    Saturday PM: BJJ gi class (This session is more newbie oriented and less physically demanding. We drill for an hour focusing mainly on basic techniques, e.g. armbars & triangles from the guard, sweeps etc. There's also 30 mins light rolling at the end)

Sunday: Rest

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 9:41am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarius View Post
    I'm currently training 5 days a week (twice a day), with training split between gym, BJJ & MMA classes.

Prior to starting martial arts I've been doing weight training at the gym for the past 7 years, but only started BJJ & MMA 4 months ago.

All my gym sessions consist of 6 exercises of 3 sets each (12 reps/10reps/8reps for each set).

Here's my current schedule, any advice if it's too much/too little, or if it needs any changes please?

Monday AM: Gym focusing on chest & arms
    Monday PM: BJJ gi session (1 hour physical & drills; 1 hour rolling)

Tuesday AM: Gym focusing on legs
    Tueadsy PM: MMA Class focusing on striking (40 mins physical; 50 mins drills; 15 minutes sparring at the end)

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday AM: Gym focusing on back & shoulders
    Thursday PM: MMA class focusing on grappling and ground & pound (40 mins physical, 50 mins drills, 15 mins sparring at the end)

Friday AM: Gym focusing on circuit training using kettlebells (Instead of the 6 exercises/3 sets I use in the other sessions, I do 5 exercises for 1 minute each, repeating each circuit 3 times. It's the least time consuming, but cardio wise most demanding session of them all)
    Friday PM: BJJ no-gi session (30 mins physical & drills; 1 hour rolling)

Saturday AM: MMA class (40 mins physical, 50 mins drilling and mixing stuff we learned during the week; 15 mins sparring at the end)
    Saturday PM: BJJ gi class (This session is more newbie oriented and less physically demanding. We drill for an hour focusing mainly on basic techniques, e.g. armbars & triangles from the guard, sweeps etc. There's also 30 mins light rolling at the end)

Sunday: Rest
    Sounds good, maybe instead of so much weight lifting add some runing, jumping rope? are you preparing for a competition?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 10:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Sounds good, maybe instead of so much weight lifting add some runing, jumping rope? are you preparing for a competition?
    The intent is to compete in both BJJ/grappling competitions and amateur MMA fights in future. I've already competed in my first grappling tournament a couple of weeks ago (didn't go too well, still a noob here after all, hehe).

As regards cardio, I admit I don't go jogging (mainly due to lack of time, I go to the gym before work, and to my BJJ/MMA classes straight after). We do tend to do a lot of callisthenics/explosive stuff duringthe physical in both the BJJ & MMA classes however, and I've noticed that I tend not to get gassed as often as I used to in the very early weeks I started doing this (ok, that may also be due to the fact that I learnt the hard way not to be totally tense the whole time during rolling as well).

I've tried including jumping ropes during my friday gym session but can never build any sort of rythm as I keep tripping up on it after a few jumps (my bad I know). A guy at the gym suggested I do 'box jumps' instead. Basically there's this big wooden box (weighed down at the base), and you hop onto it and back down with both feet, the movement mimicking a jumping rope's more or less. I've included these as part of my circuit for the past 3 weeks or so and am gradually increasing the reps I manage to do in 1 minute.

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 1:52pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jumping rope involves your hands too, so it is important you learn how to do it. Go on youtube and find a video showing how to start jumping. It will take some time but it is worth it. Also, do you think you need to lose some weight? the lighter you are the better chances you have in a fight (you will fight against smaller men). If so, i would add more cardio even if it means less weight lifting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 2:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Jumping rope involves your hands too, so it is important you learn how to do it. Go on youtube and find a video showing how to start jumping. It will take some time but it is worth it. Also, do you think you need to lose some weight? the lighter you are the better chances you have in a fight (you will fight against smaller men). If so, i would add more cardio even if it means less weight lifting.
    I'll give the rope another go then. The one I own is leather, and some guys at the gym have mentioned that those are 'no good'. Would you suggest I buy a pro-vinyl one instead?

As regards weight, at the start of summer I weighed 83kgs, and though no fat, I had a bit of flab around the sides of the waist. During these past months I've held on to a stricter, more sports oriented diet and dropped down to 74kgs (and I do notice the difference in my muscle tone).

With a grappling competition due for March, I was toying with the idea of trying to drop down to 70kgs so I can competed at a lighter division, but am still unsure whether to bulk up or go leaner (advice from my mates at the gym has been conflicting, some advising to go heavier, other to go leaner).

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 2:32pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarius View Post
    The intent is to compete in both BJJ/grappling competitions and amateur MMA fights in future. I've already competed in my first grappling tournament a couple of weeks ago (didn't go too well, still a noob here after all, hehe).

As regards cardio, I admit I don't go jogging (mainly due to lack of time, I go to the gym before work, and to my BJJ/MMA classes straight after). We do tend to do a lot of callisthenics/explosive stuff duringthe physical in both the BJJ & MMA classes however, and I've noticed that I tend not to get gassed as often as I used to in the very early weeks I started doing this (ok, that may also be due to the fact that I learnt the hard way not to be totally tense the whole time during rolling as well).

I've tried including jumping ropes during my friday gym session but can never build any sort of rythm as I keep tripping up on it after a few jumps (my bad I know). A guy at the gym suggested I do 'box jumps' instead. Basically there's this big wooden box (weighed down at the base), and you hop onto it and back down with both feet, the movement mimicking a jumping rope's more or less. I've included these as part of my circuit for the past 3 weeks or so and am gradually increasing the reps I manage to do in 1 minute.
    You're doing plenty of cardio. Rolling for ~ an hour is plenty of cardio when combined with everything else you are doing. I don't see any reason for you to pile jogging or jumping rope onto that.

If you feel like you DO want to improve your cardio then start by increasing the intensity of your rolling sessions instead of adding non sportspecific movements. Doing 7 minute grappling rounds will always do more for your grappling cardio than running for 7 minutes will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    If you feel like you DO want to improve your cardio then start by increasing the intensity of your rolling sessions instead of adding non sportspecific movements. Doing 7 minute grappling rounds will always do more for your grappling cardio than running for 7 minutes will.
    My BJJ coach makes us do longer rounds when it's a smaller class. Generally during the hour's rolling, half the class is on the mats for a 5 minute round, and then we change over. We don't get to choose our opponents but the coach pairs us up, and it does happen at times that we end up doing 2 or even 3 consecutive rounds before getting a break.

The gi is always pretty much totally drenched in sweat at the end of a session, which I take as a good sign :)

Posted On:
    11/20/2012 11:47am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't really have much in the way of striking in there. It seems you're mostly a grappler, but if you're planning to fight, maybe think about dropping one of those gym sessions and get yourself punched in the face some more.

Also, box jumps are great, but get back on that jump rope.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 4:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    You don't really have much in the way of striking in there. It seems you're mostly a grappler, but if you're planning to fight, maybe think about dropping one of those gym sessions and get yourself punched in the face some more.

Also, box jumps are great, but get back on that jump rope.
    Yes I realize most of my training is grappling oriented with my current schedule. I'm toying with the idea of attending a boxing class on wednesday evenings in fact (still have to juggle some stuff at work to make that possible though).

As regards the jump rope, as I mentioned in an earlier post I own a leather one, which some of the guys at the gym describe as 'no good', and they recommended I purchase a pro-vinyl one. Are you of the same opinion about that please?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 10:43am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would imagine that the leather rope would be a bit heavier than the vinyl rope which could explain why you have trouble keeping a constant rhythm with it.

You must eat like a horse with that schedule!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast