218358 Bullies, 7625 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 29
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. MEGALEF is offline

    Still digging on James Brown

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Posts
    1,333

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 5:22am


     Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Aggression - how do train it?

    My team and I have a problem in that we're not aggressive enough in competition. In regular class, we have a very relaxed atmosphere where the new guys learn early on to roll at a pace where they are able to focus on their technique.

    However, as we attended a competition this weekend I realized that many of our guys have trouble getting into a competitive mindset. Giving away easy points without a fight and generally being okay with losing. Losing can be fine by me as long as you're doing your best but if you're not being aggressive and really trying to win, you're not doing your best.

    Now I'm wondering what I could do as an instructor to bring out some good healthy aggression in my guys, and myself too. Does anyone know of any good drills that force you to be aggressive and become comfortable in that state, so that I know it's there to bring out when the need arises.
  2. erezb is offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,294

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:35am


     Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this before reading your thread, just the headline. This training you see are all about developing aggression in soldiers, no one actually expect them in the short time they have in training to become MAists. But they are nice kids from good homes and they need to develop aggression. Maybe you can try some of the stuff there.
    Another angle can be "randorie" while the two guys are watched by the entire class. You call two at a time to the front and center and everybody sit and watch, after you all together analyze the bout, the good and the bad of each fighter. That will put strain, and hopefully some competitive edge to your guys. Winner can win something.
  3. Bezmond is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tianjin, China
    Posts
    372

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:47am


     Style: Taijiquan, Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone entirely lacking in aggression, I can sympathise.

    I found that when I was put into a team of 3, fighting another team of 3, with, as erezb said, the rest of the class watching, it made a load of difference. The fact that 2 other people are relying on you fighting well adds a bit of pressure and pride to what could otherwise be a win some / lose some mentality.
  4. Sang is offline
    Sang's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,253

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:47am


     Style: MMA, Yoga

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe simulate 3 minute matches one a time in front of the class with a ref and count the scores like in a real match?

    Our school has the opposite problem, we are all so focused on competition and winning that we often stick to our A-games in rolling.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
  5. DKJr is online now
    DKJr's Avatar

    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,201

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:02pm

    supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Force aggression through negative reinforcement.

    Basically if you lose you have to do burpees. For every point you give up 10 burpees. Shorten the time in rounds. Also just being aware and encouraging that mindset of never give up.
  6. RurikGreenwulf is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ROU
    Posts
    1,245

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:21pm


     Style: Humbleness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF View Post
    My team and I have a problem in that we're not aggressive enough in competition. In regular class, we have a very relaxed atmosphere where the new guys learn early on to roll at a pace where they are able to focus on their technique.

    However, as we attended a competition this weekend I realized that many of our guys have trouble getting into a competitive mindset. Giving away easy points without a fight and generally being okay with losing. Losing can be fine by me as long as you're doing your best but if you're not being aggressive and really trying to win, you're not doing your best.

    Now I'm wondering what I could do as an instructor to bring out some good healthy aggression in my guys, and myself too. Does anyone know of any good drills that force you to be aggressive and become comfortable in that state, so that I know it's there to bring out when the need arises.
    On question, how did they feel when they lost? as you wrote It seems they did not tried at all, as you put it "being ok with losing" no anger ? no sadness? they seem to very disciplined then
  7. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,616

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:26pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do something to get them amped up, A Hakka, aggressive music, something.
    Also plenty of mock tournaments with some form of reward or punishment or both.
  8. RurikGreenwulf is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ROU
    Posts
    1,245

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:34pm


     Style: Humbleness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm against the reward punishment things, not to be a nutrider but maybe


    some Kyokushin spirit like training, heavy sets of push ups and hard excercises do a lot of mock tourneys and compliment dudes who do good, dont sort of off punishment and rewards but rather try that all the class look forward to entoughen and such

    Agressive and quick roll after roll for example put the less agressive in continuos rolls against fresh opponents and make them feel the pressure
  9. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,616

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:50pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    I'm against the reward punishment things, not to be a nutrider but maybe
    Its about forming an emotional investment in winning. Randori/Rolling is about learning, they need to be put into a situation about winning.
  10. RurikGreenwulf is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ROU
    Posts
    1,245

    Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:56pm


     Style: Humbleness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Its about forming an emotional investment in winning. Randori/Rolling is about learning, they need to be put into a situation about winning.
    They should be motivated by their own pride and the coach's, I think talking to them and then taking a more proactive role when rolling would be much better

    But yeah push ups some time for the entire class (not just the bad ones) would be good and push ups as in WE ARE EXHAUSTED SHOW MERCY
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.